To harvest or not to harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathy2472

Reaction score
I used White labs American Heleweizen liquid ale yeast. It took about 60 hours to start. The batch came out fine. I washed the yeast and stored for two weeks in my refrigerator. I made a starter and pitched. All seemed fine with starter. It is now 48 hours later and just beginning to see signs of activity. The few others yeasts I used had activity within 12 to 24 hours My question is this normal for this strain of yeast to have this kind of lag time. I have another jar of washed yeast should I use it or throw it away. I thought once I washed stored and used a Starter I would be cultivating a new healthy colony. I'm wondering if for whatever reason I have a not so healthy colony and should try and harvest from a newer one. And in the future if I have a yeast with a long lag time should I not harvest it.

hard telling without knowing more information about your process and even then we are guessing. 60 hrs is a long lag time.

Latest posts

Back