To disturb, or not to disturb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcJWaters

Reaction score
So, I am making a clone of Southern Tiers Creme Brulee Stout. The recipe calls for 9 pounds of DME. With about 18 hours into primary, there is about 2 inches of sediment on the bottom of my fermenter. Id imagine that this is all fermentable material as there are only 2 ounces of hops in the entire batch.

So my question is do you think I need to stir that back into the wort, or do we think that the yeast will find it on its own?

Advice is needed.

I would assume that it's yeast and trub, leave it be. It is actively fermenting correct?

Different yeasts do different things, It's probably just a characteristic of the particular yeast you used.

Leave it alone. There is no need to stir. If you have live healthy yeast in your fermenter, they will do what they do best.

Stepaway_copy.jpg

That 2" trub layer will likely compact into 1" or less given time. Active fermentation can stir it up and prevent it from compacting, but once fermentation winds down it should go down.

+1 leave it alone. I wish I had some pictures of past brews. I made a Youngs Double Chocolate clone once and had AT LEAST 3 inches on the bottom. I am currently making all grain versions of the Westvleteran 12 and before I switched it over to secondary, it was almost HALF FULL of sediment and stuff. Though I will admit, it is a little unnerving seeing that for the first time.

Unless you hit the saturation point of those sugars in water, it's not fermentables, it's proteins. Like others have said, it's trub, leave it alone.

Latest posts

Back