Fermentation closet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bswan0508

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im looking for advice. I have a small closet 4ft x 4ft in my garage i was thinking about insulating the hell out of it and turning it into a fermentation chamber. But what id really like to do is be able to get it down to 32 deg for lagering . Im not sure how to get it there though i dont believe an AC unit would get it there. Id rather not spend a fortune doing this im wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can shed some light. I just bought a brutus 10 system off FB marketplace for $400 as i havent brewed in a few years due to divorce and i was using extracts before i want to start with all grain this time and the first batch i want to brew is a dopplebock. I intend on having multiple 10 gal batches fermenting at once and need more space then a refridgerator.

I agree - the efficiency of using an AC unit will be abysmal compared to dropping a small chest freezer in that space, and frankly doubtful that it could maintain the desired chamber temperature...

Cheers!

The chest freezer isnt going to work i have 13 gal fermzilla conicals they stand about 3 1/2 ft tall on the stand.
If you insulate well it can be done. You'll need a 3rd party controller if you want to use an AC unit.

https://www.storeitcold.com/
Could you point me in the right direction as far as a controller? from what i have been told an ac unit wont get me too much below 60.

The chest freezer isnt going to work i have 13 gal fermzilla conicals they stand about 3 1/2 ft tall on the stand.

Could you point me in the right direction as far as a controller? from what i have been told an ac unit wont get me too much below 60.
upright freezer or refrigerator.

Are you fermenting multiple batches at a time? I dont exceed 4 weeks fermentation time (pitching yeast to racking into kegs after cold crash). For the amount I brew, having a single chamber is sufficient to go along with my kegerator once kegged. At times I’ve considered finding another upright freezer in case I needed to double batch because I have the garage space. I had to Google what a Coolbot is, looks pricey/niche.

My $.02…

Upright freezer with and Inkbird 308 controller is the best single vessel fermenter chamber for 20 or less gallon batches.
1) easy hoisting of the fermenter
2) no modification, plug it into the inkbird and you’re ready.
3) cheap: I got lucky and found one for free. Can be had for under $400 used.
4) multipurpose: not brewing? Use as a fridge(*use the inkbird set to 38*F). Or use it as a freezer.
5) resale: upgrading to something else? Sell it as a freezer and get your money back.

IMG_7617.jpeg

Are you fermenting multiple batches at a time? I dont exceed 4 weeks fermentation time (pitching yeast to racking into kegs after cold crash). For the amount I brew, having a single chamber is sufficient to go along with my kegerator once kegged. At times I’ve considered finding another upright freezer in case I needed to double batch because I have the garage space. I had to Google what a Coolbot is, looks pricey/niche.

My $.02…

Upright freezer with and Inkbird 308 controller is the best single vessel fermenter chamber for 20 or less gallon batches.
4) multipurpose: not brewing? Use as a fridge(*use the inkbird set to 38*F). Or use it as a freezer.
5) resale: upgrading to something else? Sell it as a freezer and get your money back.

View attachment 827603
Yes i will be brewing multiple batches. Also not just for fermenting ill be lagering as well. Have a dopplbock that i plan to lager for at least 10 weeks. Im going to split the closet so i can keep one side for lagering other for fermenting all will be run off of one AC with a temperature controled fan through the wall i put up and kicking on and off as needed to keep the 2 seperate temperatures.

A custom cabinet could be more elegant and compact, but multiple upright fridges and/or freezers would be way easier, more portable if you move, and maybe a bit cheaper if not bought new.

Still, it sounds like you're ready to build a big cabinet with insulation and reasonably well-sealing doors. Please post pictures when you build it, @Bswan0508

My $.02…

View attachment 827603
Love your set up! Can I ask what make and model your upright freezer is? I have a 10 gallon SS Brewtech Fermenter and looking for something that would fit it. The current frreezer/keezer is not tall enough even with a 2x6 collar. Also your Sankey fermenter - did you cut and weld the top to make it in to a fermenter? Looks great! Thanks.

Love your set up! Can I ask what make and model your upright freezer is? I have a 10 gallon SS Brewtech Fermenter and looking for something that would fit it. The current frreezer/keezer is not tall enough even with a 2x6 collar. Also your Sankey fermenter - did you cut and weld the top to make it in to a fermenter? Looks great! Thanks.
It’s an older 14 cf Frigidaire FFU14F5HW. Here’s the build of the fermenter.
Thread 'DIY sankey "Kegmenter"'
DIY sankey "Kegmenter"

I have a closet I was fermenting in at the end of the hallway in the house. I toyed with the idea of insulating it and trying to run some sort of cooler or air conditioning unit. My problems were space and not having a plug nearby to hook everything up. My brother moved and left his small compact fridge. He let me have it so I cut the plastic off the door and it fit my 5 gallon bucket perfect. I hooked the Ink Bird temp controller to it and off it went. I would vote for using some sort of fridge setup if you can. You can find them cheap on Craiglist, they can double as storage for your ingredients if it has a freezer unit as well. Easy, and already done, and in some cases cheap. Once I get the garage space I am going to look for an inexpensive used either chest freezer or upright fridge/freezer to use as a fermenting and serving setup. Just my two cents worth, and believe me, that is about all it is worth. LOL

How much more height do you need? I have not measure the inside of a chest freezer, so I am truly asking cause I don't know. I have seem folks add a 2x4 collar to the top of the freezer, would that work? I am guessing you could even do up a 2x6 if needed, but that gets a bit heavy to try and lift and get over the collar I would guess.

Can you cut a hole in the wall of the closet and place a dorm fridge,or small upright freezer there with the door taken off? Plug that into your coolbot.
I saw a really cool write up where a guy basically made an insulated box and put the dorm fridge with no door at the end of it and was able to use it that way. Gotta watch out for air flow and ventilation, but it looked pretty cool. Was going to try that, but my brothers small dorm fridge came available and it fits my 7 gallon ferm bucket perfectly with little mod to the door.

How much more height do you need? I have not measure the inside of a chest freezer, so I am truly asking cause I don't know. I have seem folks add a 2x4 collar to the top of the freezer, would that work? I am guessing you could even do up a 2x6 if needed, but that gets a bit heavy to try and lift and get over the collar I would guess.
When I built my keezer I added as 2x12 collar. I also double-hinged it so I can lift just the lid for quick access, or the entire collar for lifting kegs in and out. An added benefit is that I can fit a 5 gallon corny on the hump.

When I built my keezer I added as 2x12 collar. I also double-hinged it so I can lift just the lid for quick access, or the entire collar for lifting kegs in and out. An added benefit is that I can fit a 5 gallon corny on the hump.
That sounds like a great idea. Might put that in the file for when I actually get something worked up.

Back