Tips for bottling 1 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siczek

Reaction score
Hey, what method do you guys use for bottling small batches? Typical beer bucket is so wide its tough to get everything. Ive got 4 gallon batches i want to maximize my yield from.

Thanks,

I just use a three gallon bucket I got free from the bakery department at my local Bi-Lo. I cut a hole and add a spigot like the one on my 6 gallon Northern Brewer bucket. I have two gallon frosting buckets (also from Bi-Lo) I use for my fermentors.

You could also probably use the plastic one gallon juice jugs if that's too big, but I like the three gallon in case I want something bigger than a gallon, but still less than five. A mini-auto-siphon might come in handy as well.

Bottle right from the carboy. If there is lees then take your auto siphon apart and insert the outer cylinder, wedge a stopper in to hold it in position. Put a match book under the bottom to tilt the carboy a tad.

Let this settle, insert the plunger and bottle.

ForumRunner_20130319_235754.png

I use a one gallon water bottle or glass demijohn for bottling small batches from. Well, they're 5 litres capacity, but you get those "gallon" bottles of apple juice in the US, so one of those would do. I rack from the FV to the bottling bottle, and then into bottles from there. I've racked straight off the lees before, but it's difficult not to stir up the sediment.

Yeah, I just rack into another empty sanitized gallon jug, if I have one open....or, worst case scenario, bottling bucket, no biggie either way...full size bucket works fine if you put something under it to tilt it over some, allowing you to either siphon more/leave less behind, or get more through the spigot, if that's one's chosen method

I just use a funnel to pour it into my 1 liter bottles.
I ain't 'fraid of no yeast.

Better brewing through science!

Back