Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomas Ramirez

Reaction score
Hey have some carbonating issues. last two batches wouldn't carb in the bottles.
i'm not sure what i did different for all of the others batches of beer but for some reason last two wouldn't work
i use pre package priming sugar and for the second batch i used "fizz drop" on half of the bottles and the priming sugar in the other half.
room temp stays between 68-70 degree Fahrenheit.

all tips and shared experinces will be appreciated
thanks

Of course,
first was the Dead Ringer extract kit from northern brewer
og 1.070
fg 1.023
2 "fizz drops" per bottle for half the batch second half just one
yeast was us-05

second was The Plinian Progeny triple ipa extract kit from northern brewer
og 1.090
fg ???
used priming sugar (pre measured amount from kit)

so far Ive only done kits from northern brewer going to bottle my first biab kit from them later this week
how this is enough all i really have still a beginner in the hobby

@Tomas Ramirez : what was the temperature of the room where you bottle conditioned? and, as @Velnerj asked, how long was it from bottling day until you tried a bottle?

Its been a while since I've brewed / bottle conditioned with US-05, but as I remember, the process was generally two weeks fermentation and three weeks for bottle conditioning when fermenting / conditioning in the 63F-ish range. Warmer (67F) is faster, but for those who only have time to brew on weekends, the two weeks fermenting & three weeks bottle conditioning is good for planning.

@mac_1103 mentioned adding bottle conditioning yeast (e.g. CBC-1) or wine yeast for higher ABV beers. I've used both CBC-1 and EC-1118 with good results.

i have then sit for a minimum 14 days and as for the temp stays between 67-70 degree
for the caps its the one you crimp down. and soon as i fill the bottle i cover it with a sanitized cap and then i crimp them a case at a time.

i try the conditioning yeast next time. thanks guys!

Crimp on the caps is vertical? If you can easily tell they are angled out a little, then the crimp probably shouldn't be trusted to hold pressure.

is there a possibility for over crimping? perhaps i applied too much pressure when capping

Probably didn't apply too much pressure while crimping. I've often wondered though if pulling on the handle multiple times or running the bottles back through the crimper a second time destroys the seal. Either by damaging the seal material or weakening the bend in the crimp.

I have a bench capper and generally only do one strong pull and feel for the two separate bumps I get with mine that lets me know it's complete.

How long has the beer been conditioning? It may just take more time, especially for higher gravity beer. I think refermentation time varies depending on the yeast strain also. I made a 7% dubbel once that took 6 weeks to fully carbonate. Since then I use bottling yeast to speed up the process.

How long has the beer been conditioning? It may just take more time, especially for higher gravity beer. I think refermentation time varies depending on the yeast strain also. I made a 7% dubbel once that took 6 weeks to fully carbonate. Since then I use bottling yeast to speed up the process.
dang thank you for this one all of the recipes that ive used always said 2 weeks for bottle conditioning regardless of what type of yeast id use. i really need to look into bottling yeast. thanks for the help

Back