1 gallon batch filtering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwible

I drink, and I know things
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All you small batch makers - I recently started doing 1 gallon batches of mead. Does anybody filter their mead and what would be the best option for 1 gallon batches?

Seems like the mini-jet is more suited to 6 gallon batches. Saw some bad reviews of the VinBrite. Just wondering what people use, if anybody rigged their own or whats out there.

Thanks!

I have a mini-jet and used it once to filter a small batch of cider. Between purging the filter and what leaked from it I lost about a quart. Haven't used it since. The results were very noticeable however. I wouldn't bother with anything less than 5 gallons, and it should be a final step after using finings.

That's interesting. If I had seen that before I bought the Mini Jet I would have gone for it. I already have a transfer pump and I'm thinking about putting an inline cartridge filter on it. What they say about the Mini Jet's faults is absolutely true. Probably why I haven't used it since. Soaking solution is citric acid in water, pretty cheap.

I've used the KLR gravity fed filter system and it works pretty well down to 5 microns. With the 1 micron, I have to use my auto siphon and slowly force through the filter as the gravity feed is just WAY TO SLOW with 1 micron filtering.

I got the UK gravity filter vinbrite. It filtered 2.5 gallons in half an hour with the finest pad, which is 1-2 microns. I had bentonited it before and without it the finest pads would clog. Definitely using it on many more brews as the result is fantastic and can save a lot of time. I've had issues in racking getting some sediment back and staying cloudy for a long time. The obvious solution to that would be to rack less greedy, but with this filter I don't have to.

Last edited:
Back