Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadman

Reaction score
Hey all, first post here. I’m brewing my first ever batch of mead with a kit I ordered. I wanted to know a couple of things, 1: there’s this brown stuff around the neck of the bottle, is this yeast or did I possibly improperly sanitize the bottle and it’s something else? 2:is a kind of egg smell coming from the airlock normal and if not is there anything I can do about it or do I have to dump the whole batch?

Attachments

• IMG_3906.jpeg
    IMG_3906.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3907.jpeg
    IMG_3907.jpeg
  • IMG_3908.jpeg
    IMG_3908.jpeg
1) yeast. perfectly normal. until it gains sentience & eats the younglings. pray it doesn't

2) egg fart smell. unfortunately, perfectly normal byproduct of fermentation. it'll fade. or gain sentience & eat the younglings.

"Egg farts Unfortunately is "normal" but preventable. Often attributed to stressed yeast. Some yeasts apear to be more prone to the phenomenon than others.

Good aeration early on, nutrient additions / protocol, pH adjustment and temperature on the lower end of your yeast tolerance all help reduce the likelyhood.

Back