Timing Dry Hops in Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
This is my first time making a DIPA and I actually slightly overshot my OG so it's gonna be a whopper (9.75% predicted ABV). It's been in the fermenter since Monday and once it got going it really took off. I'm still getting a bubble in the airlock every 5secs so the yeast is chugging away at it. Normally I'd be dropping my dry hops now but should I wait a bit with this one still so vigorously fermenting? What about biotransformation? Is that desirable in a big beer like this?

Here's my hops

30g Summit @45 min
15g Centennial @10 min
15g Cascade @10 min

30g Centennial whirlpool
35g Cascade whirlpool

What size batch is this? 5 gal/20 L? So far your hop additions seem a bit low for a DIPA. I added 5 oz (~150 g) of hops into the boil for my current 6.6% IPA that I have on tap and my homebrew buddies all say it is light on the hops (though I like it).

How much hops are you planning for the dry hop? I would go with at least 4 oz (~120 g).

Doesn't answer my question but I don't think it's under-hopped, the Summit is high in AA, it alone contrinutes 68 IBUs (of a total of 111). I was probably going to do 2.5-3 oz of dry hops and then taste it when racking and see if I wanted to kick it up anymore

Back