Time to bottle? First extract non kit batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatcop

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 5 gallon batch with
3.3 lbs Pilsen LME
3 lbs Pilsen DME
1 packet of Nottingham yeast properly rehydrated

I had explosive fermentation shooting out of the airlock, cleaning out much of the hop pellets that I attempted to use without a bag. Calculated OG is 1.048 (never measured) and Calculated FG should be 1.011. I am getting a reading of 1.014 which has been steady about 5 days. (1.012 at 74.5 degrees)

It is my understanding that Nottingham yeast should ferment pretty dry, what do you guys think? Is it ready to bottle? If it is stuck this late in the game and I bottle with dextrose do you think those 3 points is enough to make a huge difference in carbonation? I am only at about 12 days fermentation but that reading has been steady for 5 days.

Yes, if the SG is unchanging over 5 days it's definitely done.

Nottingham generally drops out like a rock, leaving a clear beer behind so if it's done and clear, it's ready to bottle.

Thank you for the quick answer Yooper. I shall bottle tomorrow. This is also the first time I am using a bottling bucket with sugar. Beforehand I was using carbonation drops.

Back