TiltBridge - Tilt-to-WiFi Device for Tilt Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I see there has been work on getting the M5Stick-C supported, I went and took the branch and got the display working for me:

ricnewton/tiltbridge

It's a very basic lash up for now, but seems to work (after fighting the build, looks like the arduino core for the ESP32 has been recently updated on github).

Last edited:
Rad!! And just in time for the weekend, to distract me from actually brewing :) .. I'll give this a try.

If you PR this to @LBussy, I can chime in with my own test results on the thread.

Rad!! And just in time for the weekend, to distract me from actually brewing :) .. I'll give this a try.

If you PR this to @LBussy, I can chime in with my own test results on the thread.

Can do. Was going to have a quick play with fonts first, and there is enough room for the left text if we want as well, though it's just the text of the colour so meh.

Pinning to a non-release is fraught with danger, but we'll see.

Yeah, I would assume all the libraries will update to support the changes eventually and we can switch off, it was just a hack to get building again for now.

Hey everyone, I have a nit that's been bugging me for a long time, but wasn't motivated enough to look into a solution until now. I'm running an Orange Tilt->Tilt Repeater->TiltBridge->Google Sheets. As you can see in the screenshot, my date/time is always off by about a day and a half (In the past). Is this something that can be modified in the google sheet or Tiltbridge Template script? I looked on my tiltbridge web server, but didn't see any time zone/time settings (see below). I also validated my Google Sheet is set to the correct time zone (see below). I looked through the Tiltbridge template script and saw a few references to date or time, but wasn't sure how to change it without breaking everything (see below).

Any input is greatly appreciated :D

1618423533263.png

^^screenshot from current fermentation^^

}
function timepoint(why){
var ogdate = new Date('January 1, 1900');
return (why.getTime() - ogdate.getTime()) / (1000 * 60 * 60 * 24);
}

// Let's explicitly set Timepoint, even if it was provided.
// if (!form_data.Timepoint) {
form_data.Timepoint = timepoint(new Date());
//

for (i in headers){
if (headers == "Timestamp"){ // special case if you include a 'Timestamp' column
row.push(new Date());

^^references in script to time/date^^

1618422788244.png

^^screenshot from my master Google Sheet showing Time Zone setting^^
1618423430861.png

^^screenshot from TiltBridge Web App...no time/date settings that I could find^^

Hey everyone, I have a nit that's been bugging me for a long time, but wasn't motivated enough to look into a solution until now. I'm running an Orange Tilt->Tilt Repeater->TiltBridge->Google Sheets. As you can see in the screenshot, my date/time is always off by about a day and a half (In the past). Is this something that can be modified in the google sheet or Tiltbridge Template script? I looked on my tiltbridge web server, but didn't see any time zone/time settings (see below). I also validated my Google Sheet is set to the correct time zone (see below). I looked through the Tiltbridge template script and saw a few references to date or time, but wasn't sure how to change it without breaking everything (see below).

Any input is greatly appreciated :D

View attachment 725746
^^screenshot from current fermentation^^

}
function timepoint(why){
var ogdate = new Date('January 1, 1900');
return (why.getTime() - ogdate.getTime()) / (1000 * 60 * 60 * 24);
}

// Let's explicitly set Timepoint, even if it was provided.
// if (!form_data.Timepoint) {
form_data.Timepoint = timepoint(new Date());
//

for (i in headers){
if (headers == "Timestamp"){ // special case if you include a 'Timestamp' column
row.push(new Date());

^^references in script to time/date^^

View attachment 725744
^^screenshot from my master Google Sheet showing Time Zone setting^^
View attachment 725745
^^screenshot from TiltBridge Web App...no time/date settings that I could find^^

Which version of TiltBridge are you running (may be visible on the "About" page) and how long ago did you first set up Google Sheets?

I'm not sure which version of TiltBridge I'm running...it was flashed probably a year+ ago with BrewFlasher if that gives you any indication.
1618500060566.png

^^screenshot of "About" Page in TiltBridge Web Application"

I recreated my Google Sheets probably 8-10 months ago.

I'm not sure which version of TiltBridge I'm running...it was flashed probably a year+ ago with BrewFlasher if that gives you any indication.
View attachment 725856

Definitely please update to the latest in BrewFlasher. It has a timezone offset setting. I believe the sheets have been updated as well.

View attachment 725856

Timezone handling has been updated, but you'll have to update your TiltBridge firmware, and redeploy the google sheets master app to take advantage. I'd recommend upgrading whenever you have a chance!

I recommend this one, available on Amazon. There are others on Aliexpress to save a couple of bucks but I've not directly tried these.

These are smaller screens, true, but they are performing much better in testing right now. Unless you are looking for the larger form factor, these may be the best bet.

That said, in theory, any 320 x 240 ILI9341 TFT should work if you really want the real estate.

ETA: If you get the recommended one there, be aware it is USB-C. You will need an appropriate data cable to get it flashed.
Lee,
I have my first Tilt coming and I went with the ICQUANZX T-Display ESP32 WiFi and Bluetooth Module Development Board for 1.14 Inch LCD that you linked to previously. I was also looking at the case that you linked to, but I do not have a 3D printer. I did try a local company that allows you to upload the project files, but it showed the button as 5" and cost over $100 just for the button!

I was wondering if you could recommend a place to get the case printed? Either the files I downloaded were corrupt, or the place I was using did not view the files properly! I really like the look of that case and would like to use it! Can it be used without the button? If so then the company I was looking at using was around $25 for the top and bottom.

Lee,
I have my first Tilt coming and I went with the ICQUANZX T-Display ESP32 WiFi and Bluetooth Module Development Board for 1.14 Inch LCD that you linked to previously. I was also looking at the case that you linked to, but I do not have a 3D printer. I did try a local company that allows you to upload the project files, but it showed the button as 5" and cost over $100 just for the button!

I was wondering if you could recommend a place to get the case printed? Either the files I downloaded were corrupt, or the place I was using did not view the files properly! I really like the look of that case and would like to use it! Can it be used without the button? If so then the company I was looking at using was around $25 for the top and bottom.
Jesus Christ that’s expensive.

I have cases listed on the Fermentrack Tindie page for that reason, but I’m not going to be able to print anything until mid-June, unfortunately.

For what it’s worth, the case is completely optional. The buttons make life easier, but they’re optional too. You’re pumping 5VDC to these things - not exactly high voltage.

Last edited:
I can print one for you, but I'm in CA. Maybe someone closer to Detroit can print one?

Got a brew day in yesterday, and the ICQUANZX T-Display ESP32 WiFi and Bluetooth Module Development Board for 1.14 Inch LCD was delivered as well! Could not flash right away due to driver issue with Win10, came across a Microsoft page for drivers - I used the Silicon Laboratories Inc. - Ports - 10.1.8.2466 driver will success. Ran the flash at that point and was up an running! I had configured quickly to use Brewers Friend for logging. I would say about 20 minutes to get all that done, with 10 of that looking for drivers.

Now what I did get hung up on was configuring Brewers Friend. I initially had just added my color Tilt, but noticed this morning nothing was logged. I removed and re-added and still nothing. I finally realized I needed to add the Stream and not the device, now it is working great!

Thought I would post up the help with drivers for anyone else that gets that model and has issues with drivers on Win10, hopefully save some time for someone else!

PSA: If you use Taplist.io, we recently landed direct support for Taplist.io in the dev branch! I'm looking for a couple additional testers to help make sure it's bulletproof. Drop me a line and I can provide both a firmware and the Taplist.io-side instructions (which are pretty minimal). Cheers!

Hi there. I have this board and have the latest tiltbridge (as far as I know) installed on it.

It’s taking readings and transmitting just fine. However, the screen has been black since I flashed it.

How can I get the screen to display gravity, temp, etc?

Hi there. I have this board and have the latest tiltbridge (as far as I know) installed on it.

It’s taking readings and transmitting just fine. However, the screen has been black since I flashed it.

How can I get the screen to display gravity, temp, etc?
Can you double check your link (or post a photo of your specific board)? I’m getting an error when I try to access it.

Sorry about that. It’s a:

TTGO T-Display ESP32 WiFi and Bluetooth Module Development Board for Arduino 1.14 Inch LCD esp32 Control Board(16MB)

I have been using my tilt via tiltbridge successfully for several months. After the last update it stopped showing in my fermentrack app. I can still access the tilt via tilts own phone app but I can not get it to communicate with Fermentrack. I have the following error messages when I have tried to correct the problem. "Unable to automatically update fermentrack url at tiltbridgeAP.local " This happens when I use the update tilt bridge automatically button. The second error I found was " python is missing required capability flags " the instructions are to SSH into PI and enter sudo setcap cap_net_raw,cap_net_admin+eip /usr/bin/python3.7 " That also has no effect.
Help

I have been using my tilt via tiltbridge successfully for several months. After the last update it stopped showing in my fermentrack app. I can still access the tilt via tilts own phone app but I can not get it to communicate with Fermentrack. I have the following error messages when I have tried to correct the problem. "Unable to automatically update fermentrack url at tiltbridgeAP.local " This happens when I use the update tilt bridge automatically button. The second error I found was " python is missing required capability flags " the instructions are to SSH into PI and enter sudo setcap cap_net_raw,cap_net_admin+eip /usr/bin/python3.7 " That also has no effect.
Help

Are you running the latest version of Fermentrack?

I believe I am, but not completely sure. How do I check the Fermentrack version number?
There's not a version number, per se, but you can check if you're on the latest version.

Click the "gear" icon in the upper right of Fermentrack, then click "Update from GitHub", and look at the "Local Commit Date" and "Remote Commit Date".

The "Local Commit Date" is when the code you're running was created/uploaded to GitHub.

Active Branch:master
Commit Date:May 10, 2021, 7:57 a.m.
Commit Message:i386, not i686

both the local and remote are the same.

I managed to build my tiltbridge and get it connected to the internet. I finally just got around to brewing, and it is working fine. My problem is I want to monitor it on a computer on the same WiFi network. I remember that I was able to view it in a browser window, but its been to long and I am to old to remember how I did it. Any help would be appreciated.

I managed to build my tiltbridge and get it connected to the internet. I finally just got around to brewing, and it is working fine. My problem is I want to monitor it on a computer on the same WiFi network. I remember that I was able to view it in a browser window, but its been to long and I am to old to remember how I did it. Any help would be appreciated.
It's likely "tiltbridge.local". If you are on Windows and unable to resolve that name, you may want to install Bonjour Print Services for Windows.

I was able to able to connect at http://tiltbridgeap.local/ from my cell phone but not my laptop which is on the same wifi network, even though I am still not getting any tilt info back into Fermentrack. After un installing both my controller and tiltbridge then re-installing both I am still able to get to tiltbridgeAP.local on my cell but still not on my laptop, but still no interface with Fermentrack.
I am able to connect to the tiltbridge webserver via it's IP address using my laptop. Everything in the webserver looks correct. It points to the proper MDNS ID and fernmentrack URL http://192.168...../tiltbridge/
The last time something like this happened I had to wipe my raspberry clean start with a fresh install of raspberry, fermentrack and tiltbridge. I hope I don't have to do all that again but will if it get me working again.
Hope this info helps.

Bussy thank you for the article. I will install bonjour on my laptop. My real issue is that the tilt bridge is not communicating with fermentrack. I can see the tilt info via browser at tiltbridgeap.local , the IP address and on the attached lcd. I have titlbridge installed within fermentrack and it is bound to my fermenter in fermentrack. The url is correct.
I still have the issues mentioned above
Unable to automatically update fermentrack url at tiltbridgeAP.local " This happens when I use the update tilt bridge automatically button. The second error I found was " python is missing required capability flags " the instructions are to SSH into PI and enter sudo setcap cap_net_raw,cap_net_admin+eip /usr/bin/python3.7 " That also has no effect
I have run sudo app update and upgrade as well .

One insurmountable obstacle at a time. If you validate mDNS is working correctly, you will be able to assure yourself that it's not the TiltBridge.

Latest posts

Back