Quantcast

TiltBridge - Tilt-to-WiFi Device for Tilt Hydrometer

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I say forcing an update, I mean, I go into the tiltbridge.local setting under target settings and click update. The tiltbridge then sends data to google sheets.

I attached a screen shot of the about tab for the tilt bridge.
Update to the latest firmware (v1.0.2). There was a bug in v1.0.0 that caused the Google Sheets poll to take quite a bit longer than intended.

BQ&W

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just ordered from Amazon: LOLIN D32 Pro V2.0.0 as my jumping off point into the TiltBridge world. Wish me luck! (This is a step-up in tech for me!)

Last edited:
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The screen's link says "No longer available". Any suggestions/replacements from Amazon? Thanks in advance!
The (main) benefit to the D32 Pro, in this case, is the LCD connector. If you aren't getting Lolin's specific screen/cable then you'd be better off getting a different ESP32, unfortunately. The OLED ones work great, as do the full color "TTGO" USB-C ones.

If you want to go the TFT/D32 Pro route, shoot me a PM. I have a small number of the screens/cables on hand.

BQ&W

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you @Thorrak for the help getting me started. So far, only a blank screen on TFT, no wifi showing up, and this message on Brewflasher:
Downloading firmware...
Downloaded successfully!

Command: esptool.py --chip esp32 --baud 115200 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash 0x10000 C:\Users\johnc\AppData\Local\Temp\firmware.bin 0x8000 C:\Users\johnc\AppData\Local\Temp\partitions.bin 0x1000 C:\Users\johnc\AppData\Local\Temp\bootloader.bin 0x910000 C:\Users\johnc\AppData\Local\Temp\spiffs.bin 0xe000 C:\Users\johnc\AppData\Local\Temp\otadata.bin

esptool.py v2.8
Found 1 serial ports
Serial port COM5
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____
COM5 failed to connect: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header

Any suggestions? Thanks.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Whelp, the log you showed indicates that it's not able to communicate with the device. Do you have another one to try? Are you flashing the correct firmware?

BQ&W

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have another; and the firmware is v1.0.2-TFT. I tried the others, and same result. Full disclosure, I am a total noob here (as far as the tech). I may have jumped into the deep end of the pool as a non-swimmer! lol

clauslucking

Reaction score
Thank you @Thorrak for the help getting me started. So far, only a blank screen on TFT, no wifi showing up, and this message on Brewflasher:
Downloading firmware...
Downloaded successfully!

Command: esptool.py --chip esp32 --baud 115200 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash 0x10000 C:\Users\johnc\AppData\Local\Temp\firmware.bin 0x8000 C:\Users\johnc\AppData\Local\Temp\partitions.bin 0x1000 C:\Users\johnc\AppData\Local\Temp\bootloader.bin 0x910000 C:\Users\johnc\AppData\Local\Temp\spiffs.bin 0xe000 C:\Users\johnc\AppData\Local\Temp\otadata.bin

esptool.py v2.8
Found 1 serial ports
Serial port COM5
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____
COM5 failed to connect: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Not that I’m an expert in any way...
But when Connecting.... is showing I had to hit and hold a boot button a second on the card and then the installation started.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you hold the board so that the connector is on the left, the bottom button should be the "BOOT." If you hold that and then reset the board, after a second you should be able to release the boot button. Then try to flash.

BQ&W

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Still seems to be stuck at "connecting" I have a red blinking light, and a lit but blank TFT screen. Maybe a bad board. (from Amazon) Well, I'll keep playing with it and report back if I have any success. Thanks to all and Cheers!

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, here's what I would do. Follow this tutorial to set up the ESP32 in the Arduino IDE. If you can get that to work, then the board works and we need to check something else.

Also, you can sort of strut around the house with your chest puffed out after "programming" it yourself. :)

ETA: This website is also very good at beginner tutorials. I think for the LED where it says "const int ledPin = 23;" you want to replace the "23" with "LED_BUILTIN".

BQ&W

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, here's what I would do. Follow this tutorial to set up the ESP32 in the Arduino IDE. If you can get that to work, then the board works and we need to check something else.

Also, you can sort of strut around the house with your chest puffed out after "programming" it yourself.
No strutting tonight! :( keep getting a fatal message when uploading a sketch. (my terminology may be off ). Didn't work holding the button down either. Thanks again, time for a beer! Cheers!

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You have earned it after all that. Here's hoping it's something simple like the cable.

When I find a power-only cable in my house I cut the ends off right away before I forget.

OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For what it's worth, @BQ&W is using a D32 pro, so I doubt it's an issue with the boot button.

My guess is that it's the cable. I really need to add a note about that somewhere...