Threw out my Chitosan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin_

Reaction score
Rookie wine mistake.

After years of making beer I decided to try my hand at wine. When I opened up the kit it had a bag with all the additives and yeast. It also had a clear bag with a clear gel in it. To me it looked like the ice packs that come with yeast. I have no use for any more ice packs, so I tossed it. Fast forward a few weeks, I read the directions and apparently I needed this for clarifying.

My question is can gelatin be used in place of this Chitosan, or should I suck it up and go to the store and get some more?

My non-expert impression is that these clarifiers that come with kits are there so they can advertise "bottle it in 6 weeks!".

Just rack off the primary, top up the carboy and put it somewhere for 3-6 months. It will be clear. In the mean time, you can read up on other things you can do to it like oaking or Kmeta addition...

I don't even use the finings that come in the kit! I want a "vegetarian" wine, so don't use chitosan or isinglass anyway, and my wine is still clear!

I'd wait to see if the wine clears without it. If it doesn't clear, you can also buy some (or sparkelloid, my preference).

Back