Thoughts on Imperial Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shades

Reaction score
Imperial Stout

5 gallon

20 lb 2 row
2 lb biscuit malt
1 lb English Chocolate malt
0.5 lb Caramel 60l

Mash @ 154 for 75 min

F.W.H. 1 oz. Magnum
60 min 1 oz. Magnum
30 min 2 oz. Willamette

2lbs dextrose added at high krausen

Wyeast 1388 pithced onto yeast cake of a lighter Belgian Tripel, ferment at 68 for 3 weeks, rack to secondary and age for 6-9 months.

I am just curious as to what others with more experience think of this recipe. I understand this is a huge beer and am no novice to big beers. This will be my 15-20 batch of beer.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

You have enough fermentables for 16%+. I would probably scale back the 2 row or sugar a bit. I usually add hops at 15-0 as well for late flavor and aroma.

With my system it comes to 14% Abv. Give or take some. I am looking to make it extremely high. I am wondering if the chocolate malt will be too much and thoughts on the biscuit malt as well. I dont have a late hop addition because I figured the aroma will be gone in the year I plan to age this before drinking.
thank you for the fast reply

Last edited:
With my system it comes to 14% Abv. Give or take some. I am looking to make it extremely high. I am wondering if the chocolate malt will be too much and thoughts on the biscuit malt as well. I dont have a late hop addition because I figured the aroma will be gone in the year I plan to age this before drinking.
thank you for the fast reply

By "English Chocolate Malt" you mean the kinds that are like 600L?

Because I used two pounds of US Chocolate Malt 350L in a Smoked Honey Imperial Porter a bit ago, and that came out pretty well, but that much 600L anything is...suspect.

The chocolate malt I am planning to use is 338.1L. It is called English chocolate malt from my LHBS. I would agree that using the 600L chocolate malt would be a bit overpowering.
From this recipe I want a good balance of sweetness from the malt and hints of chocolate. The biscuit I hope will add complexity and bready flavors as well. I am a huge fan of the magnum hops, the bitterness they give me in my system is a smooth and predictable bitterness and I enjoy the hints of flavor they add as well. Hopefully I can use Magnum that I grow this year when I brew this beer in the fall.

The biscuit and chocolate should be nice together. I think this will be fairly sweet and malty since the yeast will most likely only do 12-13% and leave the rest for flavor. A few cocoa nibs diluted in liquor before bottling could be nice too. Magnum is a great all around hop.

Back