Thoughts on a new brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marke14

Beer Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am about to make the transition from extract to all-grain, and I want to give BIAB a try before going all-in on a 3-vessel setup.

I'm looking for a 10-gallon brew kettle, so I can have plenty of room for a BIAB approach.

So without biasing the responses here by mentioning the brands/kettles I am considering, I'll instead say that I am looking for something of reasonable build quality (but not necessarily top of the line, super expensive), which has two drilled ports (in case I want to add a thermometer or something else on the upper one), a decent ball valve, and internal gallon markings. I'm trying to get the best deal relative to these features.

Aside from these features, I am kind of open. For example, should I be worried about getting a false bottom now (since I am not mashing in the traditional way)? I've read a lot of BIAB folks like a false bottom to hedge against scorching the bag during the boil.

I'm looking for advice on specific brands as well ...

Thanks in advance - looking forward to the suggestions.

...I'm looking for a 10-gallon brew kettle, so I can have plenty of room for a BIAB approach.

I would go for a 15gal kettle. That's what I use for my 5gal BIAB batches, and it works out well. I've never had a boilover, and if I want to do a larger batch I have the capacity.

... two drilled ports (in case I want to add a thermometer or something else on the upper one), a decent ball valve, and internal gallon markings....

You won't need the thermometer port for BIAB, at least it's not advisable to use that kind of thermometer with BIAB because it can catch on the bag and rip it unless you are super careful each and every time. Having the spare port there won't hurt anything.

... I've read a lot of BIAB folks like a false bottom to hedge against scorching the bag during the boil....

The bag is not in the kettle during the boil, so there is really no need for a false bottom unless you are using electric elements to heat your kettle, and your particular elements get hot enough to damage the bag. In that case you do want to raise the bag above the elements.

...15-gallons, for room for a 5 gallon batch?

Absolutely. Here's a pic of the boil of a 5gal batch (in a 15gal kettle) after dumping in the first hops.

IMG_20190324_154054_773.jpg

Admittedly I could have turned down the heat, or I could have used anti-foam additives. With a 15gal kettle I don't have to do those things. Additionally, I have the option of making larger batches. Win. Win.

Absolutely. Here's a pic of the boil of a 5gal batch (in a 15gal kettle) after dumping in the first hops.

View attachment 639485

Admittedly I could have turned down the heat, or I could have used anti-foam additives. With a 15gal kettle I don't have to do those things. Additionally, I have the option of making larger batches. Win. Win.
Wow! You fill a 15 gallon kettle that much for a 5 gallon batch? You really must be boiling off a large volume.

Wow! You fill a 15 gallon kettle that much for a 5 gallon batch? You really must be boiling off a large volume.

No.

It's a normal 5gal batch, which had a starting volume (pre-mash, cold water into the kettle) of 7.9gal. What you're seeing in the picture is foam from the addition of 1oz of hops at the beginning of the boil.

The point here is that the bigger kettle has advantages. In the case shown in that photo, the kettle size prevented a boil over.

Go as big as you can afford (standard answer). I recently upgraded to doing 10-11 gallon all electric BIAB batches with a 20 gallon Kegco kettle which is actually 22 gallons by the markings. Starting out with 13 or 14 gallons pre-boil I never even think of a boil over.

I have not done any extract brewing, but went straight to all grain. And not much experience with that, so take this as it comes:

Why don't you try one small batch, 5-7 litres or so, and see if BIAB is for you. You will probably have all or most of the materials at hand, and you can figure out some of the issues and what is important for you and what not.

I'm making 10-15 litre batches and use a 30 litre (2nd hand) pot. It's on the limit of the weight I can handle. Pulling out the bag and moving the pot around, if and when necessary.

I am about to make the transition from extract to all-grain, and I want to give BIAB a try before going all-in on a 3-vessel setup.

I'm looking for a 10-gallon brew kettle, so I can have plenty of room for a BIAB approach.

Once you try BIAB you may never go to a 3 vessel setup. The only real advantage to the 3 vessel setup is that it looks more impressive to bystanders. Since you say you have been doing extract beers, can I assume that you have a 5 gallon pot to brew in? Do your first BIAB in that. A 2 gallon batch is simple to do in a 5 gallon pot and with some care a 2 1/2 to 3 gallon batch is feasible.

Many of us BIAB brewers can manage a 5 gallon batch in an 8 gallon pot. We think that a 15 gallon pot is not necessary and just more difficult to clean. Some of us even manage a 5 gallon batch in a 7 1/2 gallon turkey fryer.

I’m not a fan of aluminum, so I’d try and stick with a good SS kettle. Update International has a very good selection with tri-clad bottoms. I used them exclusively for 8+ years before upgrading my system to Blichmann. My Bk is still an Update International.
I believe the correct item number is SPS-60.

My kettle is about 15 gallons and it’s almost full when I do a serious grain bill...like 25# for an imperial stout. 15 gallon is minimum size if you want to do a high gravity beer. I use a basket to keep the bag off the element and thermometer prode

My kettle is about 15 gallons and it’s almost full when I do a serious grain bill...like 25# for an imperial stout. 15 gallon is minimum size if you want to do a high gravity beer. I use a basket to keep the bag off the element and thermometer prode

What is your normal brewhouse efficiency with a beer that would have an OG of 1.050? What about the brewhouse efficiency with the big amount of grain? If your grain isn't milled well the mash efficiency and hence the brewhouse efficiency may be lower than some of us expect. We may be able to do that big Imperial Stout with much less grain and thus get by with a smaller pot.

I started, as folks above have mentioned, with my 5-gallon extract kettle and an added bag. I made several 2.5-3 gallon batches. I then borrowed an 8-gallon kettle and made 5-gallon batches. It was always a very tight squeeze, sometimes requiring setting aside some water and adding it back later as a less-than-ideal sparge.

Finally, I bought a 10-gallon kettle. I've been eyeing an all-in-one electric system so I didn't want to spend too much. I came across this. It's a thinner gauge than the 8-gallon I borrowed, but for $22 (on sale) I figured that if I switched systems, it wouldn' be too hefty of an investment.

I've only brewed one batch on it, but despite it's thinner gauge, it worked out very well.

It has no ports, but I thought I'd share my upgrade experience since you seem to be going the same path.

Good luck!

I have a 10g kettle and it is plenty big for a 5 gallon batch. I don't see the need for a 15g kettle at all. I also have a thermometer in mine and while it is theoretically possible it could catch the bag it hasn't after about 20-30 batches. I'm also of the opinion that once you try BIAB you won't see the need for a 3 tier system. BIAB is just so easy.

Thanks for the comments. I will be sticking with a 10 gallon size wise. I'll mind the boil overs ...

Zambezi Special, I am definitely all in on BIAB so I am good without trying a small batch though I understand I could easily do so.

More beer just lowered prices on SS brewtech kettles. You can use 10 gallon kettle for big brews if you batch sparge to make up for lost volume of water. Regular brews there is plenty of room for a full volume mash in a 10. At least that is what I find.

Thanks for the comments. I will be sticking with a 10 gallon size wise. I'll mind the boil overs ...

Zambezi Special, I am definitely all in on BIAB so I am good without trying a small batch though I understand I could easily do so.

You could do a small batch while you are waiting for the 10 gallon pot to arrive. I mean, beer is beer. Why wait?

Just took advantage of the morebeer sale on SS Brewtech kettles. A 15 gallon on the way. Plenty of room for 5 gallon batches/Biab at full volume. Also plan some 6-7 gallon batches once i get a larger fermenter. Carry on.

Think long and hard to avoid buying something that won't suit in the long run. What is the largest beer you will want to brew? How will you want to brew? If you stick with BIAB, will you want to go electric in the future? Will you want to recirculate? Will you do stepped mashes? Will you want a mesh basket for the grains.

All these will make some differences in both the size of the pot and ports needed and the positioning of the ports. 10 gallon is enough for the boil but with a large grainbill, you may be forced into doing a sparge. Another thing to consider is a hoist. I wish I had one even when doing a 3 gallon BIAB.

I too second the 15 gallon kettle. I just did an imperial stout last night that had 36.5 lbs (!) of grain, and I was dangerously close to overflowing. I had to mash with less water than I wanted to, but it worked out fine. Just had to sparge with extra water than usual. Hit my OG of 1.086.

Just my process, but I prefer to brew on the gas cooktop in the kitchen and my 10G kettle fits under the range hood. I only use the 15G outside when I brew a 10G batch or make a big beer. I don't do a lot of either .. 95% I'm indoors with the 10G.

Last edited:
Were back in business...alls well in the world.
1st was a Fedex mishap, the recent redelivery..Thank you morebeer!

Attachments

• IMG_1904.jpg
    IMG_1904.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1924.jpg
    IMG_1924.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 63

I have a 10 gal pot. I have zero issues with boil overs (usually start the boil with 7 gals of liquid...target 5.5 gals into fermenter) but for a full volume mash with 7.8 gals of water and 14 lbs of grain, there is very little room to mix in the grain. It works and a larger pot is not on my shopping list, but I would say a 12 gal pot would be ideal for 5 gal BIAB...too bad I don't see many 12 gal pots for sale. For big beers my options are a sparge or to brew smaller batches. I recently did a 4 gal batch of a 1.108 Stout full volume mash and my pot was pretty full.

This is a pic of a Dubbel with about 12.5 lbs of grain in my 10 gal pot. It was a 1.073 beer but I added 1lb 4oz of sugar to the boil.

scene'20190428 08.47.05_Moment.jpg

I too second the 15 gallon kettle. I just did an imperial stout last night that had 36.5 lbs (!) of grain, and I was dangerously close to overflowing. I had to mash with less water than I wanted to, but it worked out fine. Just had to sparge with extra water than usual. Hit my OG of 1.086.
Is this a 10gal batch? I used 24# and hit 1.108 before adding 2# maple syrup...unless my measurements are way off. Did you do a full volume mash or had to sparge to reach boil volume ? I was maxed out in the kettle. Maybe an inch from the top

So I ended up with the Ss Brewtech 10 gallon. I think it should fit my needs and there was a $40 premium on the extra 5 gallons.

Plus I just don't see needing exponentially more volume over the normal course of things ... yes I may be inconvenienced or challenged when I make a batch with a huge grain bill, but relative to the majority of batches I'll be doing I think this should suffice. Time will tell and generally I know people tend to upsize over time so we shall see.

Wow Mike, a double chiller - you aren't f-in' around!

It was initially a single 3/8"x 25' eco chiller from AIH, bought a second one and nested the 2 together. Also put a y on the input end to feed both from a pump in an iced cooler. Tired of waiting to long for wort to chill. Looking for anything to shorten my brew day. Pre heating strike water while i sleep is next. 6-7 hour brew days is not a hobby....thats work!

Last edited:
Back