Those that water bath to ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
Do you stop adding ice after the active ferm. stops, or do you do it until you transfer to secondary? I'm at five days and activity is slowing. Just wondering if the 60-64 primary ferm. that I've been holding my IPA at with safale 05 can be brought back to ambient (70) very slowly until I rack to secondary, which should be in 3-4 days? This is the first time I've tried to drop temp. and it's worked beautifully. I'm just wondering if the cleanup by the yeast should be done at the lower temp. or if a higher one will work better, or if it doesn't matter.

We always tried to hold the temp steady. IMHO, letting it fluctuate can stress your yeast and make off flavors.

HTH,

M.

Since it's not too inconvenient, I'd recommend keeping it at fermentation temps. Remember, even though fermentation is mostly done, yeast is a living organism and stressing it will lead to some off flavors. It's not a crucial as during primary fermentation, but I would say it's still very important.

OK, good enough for me. I just figured since it was going to secondary at ambient maybe it would be a good idea to let the near 10 gallons of liquid return to room temp. before I transferred. Just wasn't sure how this would affect the cleanup of dicetyl and what not.

Before transferring just make sure that fermentation is done and you have reached your final gravity or very close to it. Fermenting low while being very good tends to slow the process a bit so don't be to hasty.

I have noticed the the aggresive portion of fermentation has taken a bit longer than I am used to, and I expected it. I usually use visual cues and my other senses to detect the end of fermentation, with the hydrometer as needed. Luckily I don't need this bucket until I do my next boil, and I don't even have the ingredients in house as of yet. I think I'm going to try my first hefe.

Back