this shipping cost is pissing me off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

year2beer

Reaction score
I am military stationed in italy and I cant have anything shipped here unless it comes for midwest brewing. Austin homebrew use to ship to apo's but they no longer do it...

Where is a vendor that I can trust not to rip me off with shipping prices?

Try Morebeer.com. my quick search found they ship to apo. You could just write an email explaining your situation and cc it to as many homebrew shops you can think of and see what they say. Most of the vendors here are pretty accomodating to peoples special situations, especially military.

I know the LHBS I go to ships to APO/FPO addresses. But since they are not a site sponsor I don't wanna break the rules by posting their info if that is the policy.

Gary

The policy, as far as I understand it, is that vendors need to be registered as such to advertise here. Not that you cannot post a link to a vendor.

I'm Military stationed in England and have Midwest ship to me all the time to my APO address.

Midway doesn't rip me off with shipping, but it is a bit more since they have to send USPS Priority. Unfortunately that's the only way most companies will ship to APO. So that's not a fault of Midwest, it's a fault of APO. I know there's at least one other homebrew supplier that ships to APO since I've got a friend that orders from them. I'll ask the name.

Midway has been pretty good with shipping though. Several times they've been able to pack my order into a flat rate box. They then refund me the difference.

My son is at Ramstine in Germany.. He just took up brewing and has a difficult time finding supplies there.. Probably more of a communication issue. I'd heard here that MoreBeer would not ship to APO's.. I called them to ask and they said they will indeed ship to APO's. The problem is that they can't use the $7.99 shipping for items. I asked if the products could be shipped in the fixed rate priority mail containers. For some reason they said they could not do that but would be happy to package things up and ship via regular parcel post... which would be more expensive.

Fortunately, I get to Concord every so often and figure I'll pick up a kit or two and ship it myself. I think I can get away with the fixed rate priority. Still won't be cheap.. but.....

schokie said:
I'm Military stationed in England and have Midwest ship to me all the time to my APO address.

Midway doesn't rip me off with shipping, but it is a bit more since they have to send USPS Priority. Unfortunately that's the only way most companies will ship to APO. So that's not a fault of Midwest, it's a fault of APO. I know there's at least one other homebrew supplier that ships to APO since I've got a friend that orders from them. I'll ask the name.

Midway has been pretty good with shipping though. Several times they've been able to pack my order into a flat rate box. They then refund me the difference.

Must be nice... I've just had orders that take forever... and cost almost as much in shipping as what I pay for the kits.

The closest place to me sells only no boil kits... the next closest is 2 hours away.

No worries though...just want some options.

hoptech.com has a 15% military discount, and I think they're working on APO shipping. I think you need to call them to get them to ship to APO

I'm stationed in Germany. Go to brouwland.com. Most of my orders show up the next day, if I order early in the day. You have to pay VAT but it still works out to be cheaper than most of the US stores. As mentioned midwest ships to APO but it gets pricey, have to pay to play I guess.

I knew of at least one other DOD affiliated homebrewer in Italy using this site. Run a search and see if you can locate him.

Also I think I saw a YOUTUBE video of a couple of DoD guys brewing in Italy.

Names escape me....

Know any aircrews that like homebrew...... Italian wine for carrying some packages... sounds like a match made in heaven.

I'm stationed in Germany. Go to brouwland.com. Most of my orders show up the next day, if I order early in the day. You have to pay VAT but it still works out to be cheaper than most of the US stores. As mentioned midwest ships to APO but it gets pricey, have to pay to play I guess.

You just gave me a reason to love Germany, I am stationed in Vilseck and I was about to get down on this place because I just spent 300 on just ingredients, I was pissed but it was a must, sort of.... :ban::mug:

Back