This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so, a PREMIUM OneDrive account includes everything EXCEPT a backup of your files in case your **** gets encrypted by ransomware

so, THANKS, MICROSOFT!
Reasons I'm looking at investing several hundred dollars on a NAS/personal cloud storage system, with at least a 3-disc RAID 5 array. Manual backups of the files I want, when I want, and I can make sure that files are not corrupted before transferring to the NAS unit.

Ok, I may have drunk posted a bit. I really don't want to fly out of our country. I remembered a few years ago there was a don't fly to Mexico thing and I guess stuff like that is embedded in my head. Schlenkerla I'm glad you had a great time, I may go some day.

One thing that's was funny or ironic about Mexico. I was there for work one time. I started out in Monterrey for a week then flew to Queretaro (2-3 hours south by air) for another week. My trip was cut short because one cartel dumped 50 severed heads of an enemy cartel about 30 miles from the U.S. Mexican border. I'm 8 hours away (by car) from that act of violence. My employer overreacts and calls me back home. I get home and the gangs in Chicago kill 16 people over the weekend. I'm only 10 minutes by car from the violence.

I actually have zero desire to go to Mexico. While a lot of the cartel issues are better than they were several years ago, I think there are still some safety issues there and I'm not sure how prevalent kidnappings *truly* are, but it's not necessarily a chance I want to take.

I'm not a resort person. I like to travel places, walk around cities, and actually experience where I'm going rather than sitting on a beach sipping fruity beverages. If I'm going to be stuck on a resort during my whole vacation, there's no reason to be there. I'd rather go somewhere that I can safely go outside the resort and not be worried.

Reasons I'm looking at investing several hundred dollars on a NAS/personal cloud storage system, with at least a 3-disc RAID 5 array. Manual backups of the files I want, when I want, and I can make sure that files are not corrupted before transferring to the NAS unit.

Backup is still cheaper than data recovery.

I had a buddy hit me up for data recovery vendor recommendations as he knew I work for WD, but he had a Seagate drive that crapped out on him and he needed to get his data back.

Let's just say that data recovery on a single drive will dwarf whatever you spend on a NAS...

I actually have zero desire to go to Mexico. While a lot of the cartel issues are better than they were several years ago, I think there are still some safety issues there and I'm not sure how prevalent kidnappings *truly* are, but it's not necessarily a chance I want to take.

I'm not a resort person. I like to travel places, walk around cities, and actually experience where I'm going rather than sitting on a beach sipping fruity beverages. If I'm going to be stuck on a resort during my whole vacation, there's no reason to be there. I'd rather go somewhere that I can safely go outside the resort and not be worried.

This was a kid free adults only vacation. We stayed at an adults-only resort too. That part of it is good.

One day I went to national park to see and swim with sea turtles in the wild. Then swam in a massive cenote (under ground cave) fed by an aquifer.

Another day went to another national park to see the Tulum Ruins and get some Mayan history.

Another day went to Cozumel walked around town. Hung out at a nice tequila bar. Off the south end of Cozumel we snorkeled with brightest colorful schools of fish. Then sailed the coast line.

So, it's not all drinking, food and beach time at the resort. We alternated the days with site seeing and do nothing beach days. A good mix of activity and relaxation.

That said, I also went to Egypt a month after Hosni Mubarak was tossed out of office right when the Muslim Brotherhood took over.

This was a kid free adults only vacation. We stayed at an adults-only resort too. That part of it is good.

One day I went to national park to see and swim with sea turtles in the wild. Then swam in a massive cenote (under ground cave) fed by an aquifer.

Another day went to another national park to see the Tulum Ruins and get some Mayan history.

Another day went to Cozumel walked around town. Hung out at a nice tequila bar. Off the south end of Cozumel we snorkeled with brightest colorful schools of fish. Then sailed the coast line.

So, it's not all drinking, food and beach time at the resort. We alternated the days with site seeing and do nothing beach days. A good mix of activity and relaxation.

That said, I also went to Egypt a month after Hosni Mubarak was tossed out of office right when the Muslim Brotherhood took over.

THIS. There's "Mexico" that college kids go on Spring Break too. And then there's "Mexico" with thousands of years of culture and beautiful landmarks to see.
:rockin:

THIS. There's "Mexico" that college kids go on Spring Break too. And then there's "Mexico" with thousands of years of culture and beautiful landmarks to see.
:rockin:

I went to Mexico last year. Air BnB in a tiny village called Marcario Gomez 20 minutes drive to Tulum on the Yucutan. Best vacation I ever had, and really cheap. This is where I stayed: https://www.casaselvaorquideas.com/ Couldn't have been more gracious hosts. Drank tequila with them by the pool every evening.

you still have more chance to die on the drive to the airport than in a terrorist attack in any european country.

yes, there's things happening now, but it's quite blown up out of proportion.

Why does homebrewstuff.com still have an ad on this site for black friday through cyber monday? Dumb and annoying

People using their own racial slurs amongst themselves, but find it offensive if used by an outside race in their presence.

It's either offensive or its not, make up your mind.

I overheard this today at the community pool.....i was annoyed.......not wanting my son to hear it spoken. He'd obviously get the wrong idea/sense of its use.

Light switches being on the wrong side of the door. The hotel room im staying in had the bathroom light switch on the outside of that room and on the hinge side of the door.

When I go get steaks, the main thing I care about is whether the steaks are Choice or Prime. The selection should be:

USDA Prime: $24.99/lb
USDA Choice: $19.99/lb.

Instead, the grocery stores DON'T have prime, but they disguise their lousy choice steaks and pump up the price like this:

USDA Choice: $19.99/lb
Black Angus: $21.99/lb
All Natural: $24.99/lb
Grass fed: $25.99/lb

Like I give a rusty $#*@ about what kind of steer the thing came from or whether it's "all natural."

When I go get steaks, the main thing I care about is whether the steaks are Choice or Prime. The selection should be:

USDA Prime: $24.99/lb
USDA Choice: $19.99/lb.

Instead, the grocery stores DON'T have prime, but they disguise their lousy choice steaks and pump up the price like this:

USDA Choice: $19.99/lb
Black Angus: $21.99/lb
All Natural: $24.99/lb
Grass fed: $25.99/lb

Like I give a rusty $#*@ about what kind of steer the thing came from or whether it's "all natural."

Don't we already have a thread somewhere about how awesome Costco's meat selection is?

If you don't already have a membership, I highly recommend it. You can get great-looking Prime steaks and roasts, and typically at nearly the same price as the supermarket Choice cuts.

Perhaps until you've taught your screeching mutant spawn how to behave in public, how about limiting your eating establishment options to Chuck E Cheese for the near future, K?

That'd be great, thanks

Signed, everyone else in the restaurant

Perhaps until you've taught your screeching mutant spawn how to behave in public, how about limiting your restaurant options to Chuck E Cheese for the near future, K?

That'd be great, thanks

I won't be surprised if Chuck E Cheeses uses canned cheese that doesn't need refrigeration.

I took my kid there once, and ordered pizza. After my kid went back to the games I told my wife I'd rather eat the cardboard that came on.... So bland.

You do know why they serve it on the cardboard?

Doubles the nutritional content

& CEC would be my last choice for any level of quality pizza

the only thing worse than a cold is the feeling cold medicine gives me, like oogy, speedy feel-my-hair-growing feeling

cough syrups are bad too. don't know how to describe it, but it like separates the cough from the congestion. the cough hurts your throat, and it doesn't give you that bringing up the phlegm from the lungs feeling that makes it feel better

I'd rather deal with the cold than the side effects of the medicine

then the BigHair gets all panicked, "you gotta go see the doctor!"

and I'm like, "no... I don't want to spend $ to see the doctor to give me a prescription I gotta spend more $ on medicine I really don't want to take and doesn't make me feel any better."

I'm peeved by doctors that prescribe antibiotics for a viral infection, knowing full well that it won't do anything except speed up bacteria's resistance to antibiotics! They tell you that it will take a couple days to work, knowing that your immune system would take care of it on it's own in that time.

the only thing worse than a cold is the feeling cold medicine gives me, like oogy, speedy feel-my-hair-growing feeling

When I get a cold I go to the pharmacy for the *real* sudafed. Or generic alternative. But either way, the stuff that is made with real pseudoephedrine.

A lot of people (as I used to) think that it was made illegal due to the people that use the stuff to make meth. It's not illegal, it's just now behind the counter and you have to show ID to get it.

But that stuff works! It'll clear up your cold, and because it's basically speed, will wake you right up even better than coffee. Makes me feel ready to :ban::ban::ban:

I'm peeved by doctors that prescribe antibiotics for a viral infection, knowing full well that it won't do anything except speed up bacteria's resistance to antibiotics! They tell you that it will take a couple days to work, knowing that your immune system would take care of it on it's own in that time.

That reminds me. People who believe in homeopathy really annoy me.

I got in a fight with a couple loonies on Facebook years ago, who were talking about Zicam (which is homeopathic).

They said "if I get a cold, I take Zicam, and then it goes away in a few days!"

I replied "if I get a cold, I don't take Zicam, and you know what? It goes away in a few days!"

I was not well liked ;)

cough syrups are bad too. don't know how to describe it, but it like separates the cough from the congestion. the cough hurts your throat, and it doesn't give you that bringing up the phlegm from the lungs feeling that makes it feel better

I'd rather deal with the cold than the side effects of the medicine

then the BigHair gets all panicked, "you gotta go see the doctor!"

and I'm like, "no... I don't want to spend $ to see the doctor to give me a prescription I gotta spend more $ on medicine I really don't want to take and doesn't make me feel any better."

Cough syrup was debunked years ago. No proven clinical effectiveness.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001831.pub5/full
Key results
The evidence is current up to March 2014. We found no good evidence for or against the effectiveness of OTC medications in acute cough. Nineteen studies reported adverse effects of these medications and described infrequent, mainly minor side effects such as nausea, vomiting, headache and drowsiness.

I say have a honey drink with some scotch in it.

@Grognerd

I usually take a nasal spray at night so I can breathe better. That's about it. I too hate the feeling during the day with some over the counter oral cough suppressant/decongestant.

As for homeopathic-like stuff I do the nasal irrigation one thing. Mix 1 quart distilled water, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of pickling salt. Using only one cup, I flush away all the snot, dust, and what not. My ENT recommended it. Said there no limit to how much you use it.

It's like the netty pot but cheaper. I use a glass cup and a bulb syringe. Blast in: Rocket out..... LOL

I go to steel foundries quite frequency. When I do this sinus rinse some black as coal $hit comes out...

....better in the sink than in my sinus cavities.

That reminds me. People who believe in homeopathy really annoy me.

I got in a fight with a couple loonies on Facebook years ago, who were talking about Zicam (which is homeopathic).

They said "if I get a cold, I take Zicam, and then it goes away in a few days!"

I replied "if I get a cold, I don't take Zicam, and you know what? It goes away in a few days!"

I was not well liked ;)

The Beverly Hillbillies (yes, I'm old enough to remember) had an episode where the banker Mr. Drysdale got all exited when he found out Granny had a cure for the common cold. Turns out you have to take for a week or so to be cured.

Okay. So, when I take the car in for service and the tech has to move it, fine, if you're 6'6" and I'm 5'11", move the seat a little bit. Cool. If you have to do a road test, okay, be safe, move the mirrors if necessary, no biggie, just try to put the seat and mirrors back when you're done.

If you do a simple emissions check and you mess with the seat and the mirrors and don't even try to put them back, well, F@&( you sideways with a cactus.

Okay. So, when I take the car in for service and the tech has to move it, fine, if you're 6'6" and I'm 5'11", move the seat a little bit. Cool. If you have to do a road test, okay, be safe, move the mirrors if necessary, no biggie, just try to put the seat and mirrors back when you're done.

If you do a simple emissions check and you mess with the seat and the mirrors and don't even try to put them back, well, F@&( you sideways with a cactus.

Took my truck in to have the brake light unit to be replaced last week and got it back and I'm pretty sure a midget drove it from the parking lot to the service garage (20 yards?). I got a "how did we do" survey emailed to me from them yesterday and you better believe I let them have it. I agree with you, road test, etc that's fine. But to move it the 20 or so yards into the garage? Ya F you sir

ok, when I allowed you, the customer service representative to put me on hold, I did not authorize you to subject me to tortuous hold music*

*song by one of those hipsterdouche Irish folky bands popular in the early 10s, you know... the ones with 18 members onstage and every once in a while they all yell, "HEY!"

and 3 hours later, finally get to reset my password... which, by the way, is EFFYOUYAHOO

(only I didn't actually use EFF)

Cough syrup was debunked years ago. No proven clinical effectiveness.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001831.pub5/full
Key results
The evidence is current up to March 2014. We found no good evidence for or against the effectiveness of OTC medications in acute cough. Nineteen studies reported adverse effects of these medications and described infrequent, mainly minor side effects such as nausea, vomiting, headache and drowsiness.

I say have a honey drink with some scotch in it.
Fun fact: Pretty much every cough medication/expectorant on the market has the same active ingredient, guifienesen. One of the (incredibly) rare side effects of that drug is hallucinations.

I'm one of the (incredibly) rare lucky ones that suffer from that particular side effect. So when I get a chest cold, I have the choice of either staying up all night coughing a lung out, or staying up all night with the WEIRDEST FLIPPING DREAMS you can imagine. Like....seeing-crap-growing-out-of-the-carpet weird.... waking up screaming from the sheer terror of whatever tricks your mind is playing on you level crap.

I have perfected the art of sleeping with a Halls cough drop tucked in my cheek like a wad of chew.

ok, when I allowed you, the customer service representative to put me on hold, I did not authorize you to subject me to tortuous hold music*

*song by one of those hipsterdouche Irish folky bands popular in the early 10s, you know... the ones with 18 members onstage and every once in a while they all yell, "HEY!"

and 3 hours later, finally get to reset my password... which, by the way, is EFFYOUYAHOO

Now we all know your password. You should probably change that.

It should now be;

GDMFPOSFUMFS..

The breakdown. LOL

GD , MF, POS, FU, MF

Now we all know your password. You should probably change that.

Yeah, good idea.

Pick a phrase. Change it to( coding rule) ; first two letters of each word, first letter cap, second letter lower case. Then add your favorite number or date. Select a symbol to use.

For example. It's complex but easy to remember with a number and a symbol.

Pass phrase: God damn, mother fuker, piece of $hit, fuk you, mother fuker, (forth of July 1976)

Actual Password: GoDaMoFuPiOf$hFuYoMoFu7476

I do this with various phrases that are common in your beliefs or daily life.

You can also do "person, place, thing, and date"..... password

For example;

Michael Jordan, Chicago, b@sketball 1984

Password: MiJoChB@1984

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back