This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed - cops don't waste their time writing 2mph speeding tickets for polite, courteous, respectful, otherwise law-abiding citizens. I'd love to hear the cop's side of this story. ;)

There was a surly older man at Church growing up that famously got a speeding ticket for 3 or 4 over the limit.

He got pulled over for not getting over into the slow lane on the highway, resulting in people passing him on the right. The cop was likely just warning him, but the old man started chewing on him, "I was going 58 in a 55, you should be ticketing all of THEM!"

Allegedly he got the ticket for the 58 he admitted to :D ;) :off:

When I was a teenager, we all knew about the tiny little municipality on the outskirts of town where the one cop was known as "The One Mile Man" - go through that town's Main Street at 26 instead of 25, he'd stop you.

Looking back, however, that sure sounds like urban legend meant to scare young drivers.

I've been stopped going 44 in a 40 mph limit. That was slowing down from a 55 mph on a two lane highway. This is at 10AM. I was driving to a job in Carrol Iowa.

I got a warning, but I think he was looking for somebody else. At the time I was driving a very common car. 2005 Silver Honda Accord.

I had a cop stop me when I was 16 for some BS reason. He looks at my license, sees that I have to wear corrective lenses, and asks where my glasses are. I tell him I wear contact lenses. He doesn't believe me, thinks I am not wearing them.

I look at him through the window and repeatedly poke myself in the eyeball, telling him "If you can do this even once without it hurting, I'll buy you a Coke."

He left me alone after that.

got pulled over for running thru a DO NOT ENTER sign, cops found a 2&1/2 inch electrical cable I used as a club, my radar detector (a no-no in the Commonwealth!) and SHOULD have hauled me in for DUI

one of them asked me to recite the alphabet backwards and I said I would do it, if he did it first. they let me go, telling me to go DIRECTLY home

think part of it was I also told them I had just got back to the States after serving in Desert Storm

part of it was I also told them I had just got back to the States after serving in Desert Storm

When I was in the Navy I got pulled over by a Los Angeles county sheriff for pushing the yellow light instead of stopping; I should have stopped. As soon as I stepped out of the car (in uniform) his expression took a quick 180 from stern to genial and I got a gentle warning. A couple of years later wen I got stopped by a Torrance cop for a U-turn I got the exact opposite when he saw my long hair and somewhat ratty clothes.

Avis employees who can't seem to close out reservations.

It's generally accepted at Avis that you can drop off the car without waiting for an attendant to check it in, walk away from it, and they'll close out the reservation and you'll get an email receipt. At least for people who have Avis Preferred. Sometimes I'll do that, either due to being in a hurry to meet my flight, or weather (like yesterday).

But now, on 3 separate occasions, they have forgotten to check the car in. So I've had to call them. And apparently now it'll take 2-3 days for them to fix the mistake and get me my receipt, so I might as well hold off doing my expense report until I get it.

Grr.

Golden Meadow Louisiana used to be famous (I don't know how bad the place is now) for routinely giving tickets 1 mph over the speed limit. You can raise a lot of revenue that way.

And many cops will tell you that anything less than 10 over isn't really worth the time it takes to fill out the paperwork. Have had many officers tell me that 7 is kind of their limit - below that and they don't even think about it.

Not around here. I've seen our local PD give tickets for not using a turn signal while turning into a parking space at the Target around the corner from my house. I've heard that because they have permission it's quite "lucrative" for them. We just call them union revenue generators.

Golden Meadow Louisiana used to be famous (I don't know how bad the place is now) for routinely giving tickets 1 mph over the speed limit. You can raise a lot of revenue that way.

Wouldn't work in my jurisdiction. In Ontario, the fine is based on how far over the speed limit you were. 1 mph (2 km/h) would only elicit a $20 fine - not even enough to cover the cost of the officer and the court time.

Reactions: Kee
Not around here. I've seen our local PD give tickets for not using a turn signal while turning into a parking space at the Target around the corner from my house. I've heard that because they have permission it's quite "lucrative" for them. We just call them union revenue generators.
So your jurisdiction that's paying the police is allowing them to give traffic tickets on privately owned land while working on the jurisdiction's time? Yeah, that wouldn't fly around here.

Avis employees who can't seem to close out reservations.

It's generally accepted at Avis that you can drop off the car without waiting for an attendant to check it in, walk away from it, and they'll close out the reservation and you'll get an email receipt. At least for people who have Avis Preferred. Sometimes I'll do that, either due to being in a hurry to meet my flight, or weather (like yesterday).

But now, on 3 separate occasions, they have forgotten to check the car in. So I've had to call them. And apparently now it'll take 2-3 days for them to fix the mistake and get me my receipt, so I might as well hold off doing my expense report until I get it.

Grr.

Can't you use a different rental car company or is that the preferred one by your employer?

I'd also beotch to somebody high up so you can get a comp. Next time you can be driving a camaro, a mustang or some pimped out luxury car.

Sorry, not buying it. A Target parking lot is private property, and I've never heard of any jurisdiction where municipal police officer has any authority -- permission or not -- to issue traffic citations on private property. The stop signs they put up right in front of their store to let people cross? You could run one of those right in front of a cop. There is exactly nothing they could do to you, because you are not on a public road.

Sorry, not buying it. A Target parking lot is private property, and I've never heard of any jurisdiction where municipal police officer has any authority -- permission or not -- to issue traffic citations on private property. The stop signs they put up right in front of their store to let people cross? You could run one of those right in front of a cop. There is exactly nothing they could do to you, because you are not on a public road.

not exactly true. it really depends on the local laws

they might not be able to ticket you for running the stop sign, but they most certainly could cite you for "disregard for public safety" maybe even reckless driving. drive in a parking lot with a .19 BAC and try to argue your way out of a DUI because you're on private property.

and they definitely can pop you for parking in a fire lane or handicapped spot.

These are required by law. A stop sign in a private parking lot is not.

I was providing an example to dkwolf in response to his statement:

I've never heard of any jurisdiction where municipal police officer has any authority -- permission or not -- to issue traffic citations on private property.

your statement might not be true for all jurisdictions. some of the 1000s of towns and counties in this country may allow enforcement of traffic laws in private parking lots

& again, most cops may not cite you for running the stop sign, but you encounter one with a bug up his butt, he could anally extract 18 different ways to write you a ticket

A municipality can easily pass an ordinance saying that traffic laws apply in a parking lot. Or as part of getting various permits, tax incentives, etc. an owner can agree that traffic laws apply in the parking lot. Or the parking lot might be public property as was the case with the bank parking lot next to my old apartment building.

A municipality can easily pass an ordinance saying that traffic laws apply in a parking lot. Or as part of getting various permits, tax incentives, etc. an owner can agree that traffic laws apply in the parking lot. Or the parking lot might be public property as was the case with the bank parking lot next to my old apartment building.
Sorry. Until I see it in code somewhere, I'm writing it off as BS.

The use of public employees, and public equipment, to enforce public laws on private property - specifically a parking lot - does not fly.

in the State of Texas,

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.542.htm

Sec. 542.007

(b) On petition of 25 percent of the property owners residing in a subdivision in which the roads are privately maintained or on the request of the governing body of the entity that maintains those roads, the commissioners court of the county by order may extend any traffic rules that apply to a county road to the roads of the subdivision if the commissioners court finds the order in the interest of the county generally. The petition must specify the traffic rules that are sought to be extended. The court order may extend any or all of the requested traffic rules.

by "subdivision" they mean private plot of land & not specifically a housing subdivision, but the law applies the same way

an apartment complex is private property with leased individual housing units also containing parking spaces. similar to the Target mentioned above, only Target is a commercial property.

the apartment complex owner puts up traffic signs such as stop signs and speed limits. he can contract with the local authorities to have those signs enforced and they are considered the same as if they were on public roads

People that don't listen to the TSA agents;

The fark a head of me tried carrying three 12 oz bottles of water through the scanners.

Another fark had his laptop in his bag still and got kicked back because they found it.

Then neither of them had their boarding pass available.

Of course neither where TSA-pre check. So they had to take off their shoes.

Idiots......

Cancun Mexico here I come....

Ahh, Cancun. SWMBO and I had a blast down there a couple years ago. I kept an eye on the weather just in case. I remember thinking "Hm. There's a tropical depression forming out in the Pacific. Oh, now they've named it. They're calling it Sandy. Wonder if that'll be a big deal."

Turns out our scheduled flight got us back before it really snarled up air traffic but it was kinda close.

Tell that to a judge.

do tell it to the judge

find out if those laws apply in that jurisdiction and/or the property owner has a deal to let local authorities enforce those laws

if the law doesn't apply, or if the owner hasn't an arrangement, request the ticket be waved

some google search & a phone call or two, plus time off to go to court might be well worth the effort

do tell it to the judge

find out if those laws apply in that jurisdiction and/or the property owner has a deal to let local authorities enforce those laws

if the law doesn't apply, or if the owner hasn't an arrangement, request the ticket be waved

some google search & a phone call or two, plus time off to go to court might be well worth the effort

Or it might not. I got a ticket at a speed trap many years ago. The 35 MPH sign was very much covered up by an untrimmed, very bushy tree. I went back and saw the situation was rigged. I took a bunch of photos and planned to fight it until I found out that I'd have to go back twice: once to contest it and a second time for them to make sure the cop who wrote the ticket was in attendance. I would have had to lose two days pay to fight a ticket that was less than one day's pay, plus the time and gas to get back to the city where I got the ticket. I mailed them a check as I could no way have afforded that.

Or it might not. I got a ticket at a speed trap many years ago. The 35 MPH sign was very much covered up by an untrimmed, very bushy tree. I went back and saw the situation was rigged. I took a bunch of photos and planned to fight it until I found out that I'd have to go back twice: once to contest it and a second time for them to make sure the cop who wrote the ticket was in attendance. I would have had to lose two days pay to fight a ticket that was less than one day's pay, plus the time and gas to get back to the city where I got the ticket. I mailed them a check as I could no way have afforded that.

sorry to hear, that sucks.

but like the Gambler says: ya gotta know when to fold 'em

Ahh, Cancun. SWMBO and I had a blast down there a couple years ago. I kept an eye on the weather just in case. I remember thinking "Hm. There's a tropical depression forming out in the Pacific. Oh, now they've named it. They're calling it Sandy. Wonder if that'll be a big deal."

Turns out our scheduled flight got us back before it really snarled up air traffic but it was kinda close.

We got a little rain today and some is expected tomorrow. I'm at Riveria Maya for the first time. The last 5 times its been the regular Cancun strip.

Staying here all inclusive, adults only!!!! :rockin:
http://www.bahia-principe.com/en/resorts-in-riviera-maya/resort-sian-kaan/

If you get restless, take the ferry over to Cozumel to see the Mayan ruins. Or not. All inclusive means free booze!

We are doing that, first to see the sea turtles one day and another day we plan to swim the coral reefs. The 2nd day we're also gonna take a tour of the island and we'll see the ruins as well.

Been drinking Dos Equis Amber.... Had a few pina colada's only cause the wife said there's too much booze in them. Pretty much passed it to me. She keeps ordering strawberry-pina colada's only to get two; one strawberry daiquiri and a pina colada and of course I get the colada.
:D

Reactions: Kee
Been drinking Dos Equis Amber.... Had a few pina colada's only cause the wife said there's too much booze in them.

Yeah, they make the drinks stronger for the women. If you want one with a "normal" amount of alcohol, just get a man to order it. They'll use less alcohol and it will be more palatable.

Yeah, they make the drinks stronger for the women. If you want one with a "normal" amount of alcohol, just get a man to order it. They'll use less alcohol and it will be more palatable.

On that logic, if want to change it up and get a mixed drink I should have my wife get me the drink. Ha, that's a damn good strategy!!!

They have good top shelf liquor here so I could also just go for tequila with a beer.

Not true here. If they get permission from the property owner they can and do give tickets at stop signs, and failure to use turn signals. They do have to get permission and they always do.

Not true here. If they get permission from the property owner they can and do give tickets at stop signs, and failure to use turn signals. They do have to get permission and they always do.

I can verify they will write you a ticket (in Illinois). I got a ticket in a walmart parking lot (right after I looked over at my friend and said "No Cop, No Stop")

Also Chicago passed a law that they can come on private property to write you a ticket for not having a city sticker. Some cops "snuck" into a parking garage for condos and wrote a good number of tickets. "legally"

Can't you use a different rental car company or is that the preferred one by your employer?

I'd also beotch to somebody high up so you can get a comp. Next time you can be driving a camaro, a mustang or some pimped out luxury car.

No, unfortunately all car rental for business travel is Avis. I get a lot more leeway on airlines and hotels, but not on rental cars.

I can verify they will write you a ticket (in Illinois). I got a ticket in a walmart parking lot (right after I looked over at my friend and said "No Cop, No Stop")

Also Chicago passed a law that they can come on private property to write you a ticket for not having a city sticker. Some cops "snuck" into a parking garage for condos and wrote a good number of tickets. "legally"

I had to google "City sticker," as I'd never heard of it before. The fact that such a thing exists in 21st century USA REALLY annoys me! And I don't even have to pay the damned thing! This is the same basic premise as the Stamp Act of 1765; the only difference being now you need a stamp on your vehicle instead of your paper. Here in MT, we don't even have a sales tax.
End rant, resume normal activity.
Regards, GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back