This months brew - Honey Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
I had gone online a while back looking for a Guinness clone. I pretty much followed it to a T except to add an additional half Lb. of Maris Otter. It came out very good but more like the draught than the Guinness that I wanted to make. It was lacking that mouth feel that I wanted. But, I'm brewing it again, with a few modifications and adding the honey. The major modification is I added 1 Lb. of Crisp crystal caramel malt (for mouthfeel), and of course, the honey - 2 lbs for this first attempt at doing this.
The original recipe is this, if you want to try it.

6.5 Lbs Maris Otter
1 Lb flaked barley
1 Lb roasted barley
1.75 oz E Kent Goldings (60 minute boil)
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Steep for 60 then boil for 60

Here is my updated recipe
7 Lbs Maris Otter
1 Lb flaked barley
1 Lb roasted barley
2 oz E Kent Goldings (60 minute boil)
Safale S-04 yeast (My local place doesn't carry Wyeast)
2 Lbs Clover Honey (poured in prior to boil, after sparge)
3 gallons strike water - 2 gallons of sparge water.
90 minute steep @ 150 degrees
60 minute boil

Last edited:
Do you want honey flavor and aroma or are you only using it for additional fermentable sugar?

You'll cook all the flavor and aroma off if you boil it for more than 5-10 minutes. Honey is pretty delicate, if you want to taste and smell it, I'd add it at flame out, not a minute earlier.

Honey is pretty commonly used so there's a lot of info on brewing with it. If you take a quick look you'll probably find additional material to help you capture the essence you're looking for.

Good luck!

Do you want honey flavor and aroma or are you only using it for additional fermentable sugar?

You'll cook all the flavor and aroma off if you boil it for more than 5-10 minutes. Honey is pretty delicate, if you want to taste and smell it, I'd add it at flame out, not a minute earlier.

Honey is pretty commonly used so there's a lot of info on brewing with it. If you take a quick look you'll probably find additional material to help you capture the essence you're looking for.

Good luck!

Welp, sounds like I just got taught a lesson. lol

Based on previous comment, it sounds like I won't get that honey flavor/aroma. I'll live. Live and learn I say. OG came in at 1.054

It was lacking that mouth feel that I wanted. But, I'm brewing it again, with a few modifications and adding the honey.

For a good strong mouthfeel you want to preserve dextrines. Adding honey will dry out the beer and reduce the mouthfeel. Mashing at 150 is likely to leave you with few dexttines too as the two enzymes work together to convert the dextrines to frementable sugars. I think you will have good beer to drink but to get the stronger mouthfeel on your next try, skip the honey and mash at a higher temperature, closer to 156.

I had gone online a while back looking for a Guinness clone. I pretty much followed it to a T except to add an additional half Lb. of Maris Otter. It came out very good but more like the draught than the Guinness that I wanted to make. It was lacking that mouth feel that I wanted. But, I'm brewing it again, with a few modifications and adding the honey. The major modification is I added 1 Lb. of Crisp crystal caramel malt (for mouthfeel), and of course, the honey - 2 lbs for this first attempt at doing this.
The original recipe is this, if you want to try it.

6.5 Lbs Maris Otter
1 Lb flaked barley
1 Lb roasted barley
1.75 oz E Kent Goldings (60 minute boil)
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Steep for 60 then boil for 60

Here is my updated recipe
7 Lbs Maris Otter
1 Lb flaked barley
1 Lb roasted barley
2 oz E Kent Goldings (60 minute boil)
Safale S-04 yeast (My local place doesn't carry Wyeast)
2 Lbs Clover Honey (poured in prior to boil, after sparge)
3 gallons strike water - 2 gallons of sparge water.
60 minute boil
How did it come out? Ive always thought that guinness would be great with a little more sweatness and i like to put clover honey in my coffee. I want to serve it on nitro and have a creamy sweat head.

Latest posts

Back