Thermowell cost? DIY alternatives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrickar

Reaction score
Am I missing something? A $3 stopper and a SS crimped 12-16" tube = $24?

Looking for a good DIY option. Seems like I could take a SS tube, hammer one end, drop in some wax to make it watertight and drill my own stopper. The thing is where can I source the SS tube?

I took a bottle filler, took the plunger end off and glued a cap that I had that fit it perfectly onto the end in place of it. Total cost was around $6.

You'd also need to flare the end so it didn't fall through the stopper..

I am sure you could get stainless tube anywheres. I'd check eBay.

Another option might be copper tube. Maybe sweat a cap on the end.

I've just used spare lengths of soft copper tubing for years. It seems like something I always have on hand and I tend to make them on brew day when I realize I need them. Put some flux in one end, hammer it shut and solder. Putting the flux in first is the only real trick since it helps draw the solder in after its been hammered shut.

Brewershardware is where i sourced mine for my BrewPi build and where i send people in my post...maybe why they are out of stock of all the good lengths? Who knows lol.

I don't really care for the design of stainlessbrewing ones, I don't like that threaded fitting for the cap. Just look here: http://www.brewershardware.com/Straight-Wall-Thermowells/, problem solved, these are fantastic quality, and super cheap for how nicely they are made.

Agreed! I have three of these for fermenters and two in wine bottles for monitoring my wine cellar. The Brewer's Hardware thermowells are top notch.

Latest posts

Back