Thermometer fitting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_Climber

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping you could help clear something up for me...

I want to install a digital thermometer on my 10gal igloo cooler. I have been looking at many theards of which has lead me to barginfittings.com. If I purchase the http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=50&product_id=184, how does this work. Does the stem of the thermometer sit in the mash...or does the probe that I see on the fitting transfer the temperature to the thermometer, meaning the thermometer doesn't extend into the MT... If the thermeter does go through the probe, has does it seal so it doesn't leak?

Also, I want to use a digital thermometer like:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=11720307&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CMq5kPzX77MCFeGDQgodORAAgg

Will this work with the bargianfitting.com fitting??

The thermowell you linked to is for a kettle, not a cooler. It won't secure through the side of a cooler, due to the wall of the cooler being significantly thicker. If you really want to put a thermometer inside the cooler, just drill a hole in the top, feed the sensor through, and then connect it to the base outside. If you can't drill the right size hole (and it's a bit large) then get some food grade silicone caulk and seal the hole back up.

Thanks...

I understand what you are saying about the sides of the cooler being to thick for the fitting...

But how does the fitting work?? Does the thermometer go though the stem of the fitting and sit in the mash??

Thanks...

I understand what you are saying about the sides of the cooler being to thick for the fitting...

But how does the fitting work?? Does the thermometer go though the stem of the fitting and sit in the mash??

A thermowell transfers the heat from inside the vessel/kettle through it's walls. It's fine when you're using it in a kettle, if you feel the need to have one. I don't have thermometers fitted into my keggle, mash tun and new HLT I'm making. I use type K sensors connected to a Fluke 52II that gives me the readings. I can simply drop the sensor into the mash and get a reading (or use a pair to get readings from different areas at the same time). I do have one of the 1/2" NPT to 1/4" compression fittings in the assembly that goes onto the wort out side of my plate chiller. This allows me to insert one of the probes into the actual wort flow to get a reading.

IME, direct contact with what you want to get a reading on will give you better, faster, more accurate readings.

Back