Thermometer [boobs] up... what can I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vuarra

Reaction score
(of course, except for going back to LHBS, due to child issues).

I have a problem with my thermometer reading 220*F at boiling. I had just gotten it last night, and was hoping that I could do a mash today... is there a rough way of figuring out mash temperature without a thermometer (other than subtracting 8*... I do NOT trust one that much out)?

What did they do before alcohol thermometers?

is there a nut on the back? maybe you can calibrate it.

Thanks for the reply, but there's not a store that might carry a thermometer within walking distance -- which is why I asked the 2nd question.

What did they do before thermometers?

They guessed poorly and/or did decoction mashes.

If your thermometer reads 220 at boiling, just subtract 8. It will get you close enough, trust me - thermometer response is linear.

IMO, just 'calibrate' it in boiling water (not touching the pot of course) and then in ice water (insulated cup filled with ice and just enough water to cover) and then just use it with your 'fudge factor'.

I stopped buying those dial thermometers from the HBS...waste of money imo. WalMart or Target have probe thermometers that are oven-safe (up to ~350 F) and are digital and work quite well ime. Then you just have to be careful to not get wort/water into the probe (you can bake it out if you do) or wort-proof your probe (Bobby_M has a good thread on this). I wort-proofed mine and it's so nice to just chuck the probe in the pot and read the display (which BTW, has magnets on the back so it will stick to many pot lids, steel frames, stovetops, oven doors, refrigerators, etc.).

Anyway... I'm doing the 8*F subtraction. If it's too low, then I'm just going to get a very dry and less alcoholic beer... no great loss, as I've been brewing in the 7.5% range, and I want to have more than one before I fall over.

Thanks for all the replies.

Anyway... I'm doing the 8*F subtraction. If it's too low, then I'm just going to get a very dry and less alcoholic beer... no great loss, as I've been brewing in the 7.5% range, and I want to have more than one before I fall over.

Thanks for all the replies.

If it is very dry, that usually equates to higher alcohol than if it were.... wet?!?

Stupid question, but is it reading 220 when boiling in WATER, or WORT?

Wort boils higher than 212. Water doesn't.

EDIT. Disregard, I'm dumb. 1 lb 1.5 oz of sugar in 1 gallon water, (or a 1.050 SG wort), has a BP of 100.3*C. (Man, sugar's a heavy mother....180 g/mol, lol)

I use this guy, you can calibrate it if need be, although it comes +/- 1 deg. from the factory and its water proof! :ban: Its got about a 4" probe out the back.

mash12.jpg

rest-1.jpg

its called a Big Red, I've looked all over the net for a better pic and cut sheet but I got this from my LHBS. I can post a link ifins ya like.

How much did the Big Red cost?

I had tested the alcohol thermometer in boiling tap water (yes, some chlorine and fluorine) and it did read 220*F. I would have been happy if it had been in the range of 209*F to 215*F. I highly doubt that 3*F would make a difference, but 8*F would slow or kill enzymatic action in the wort.

What's your altitude there? High up in the mountains water boils at a much lower temp, don't forget to add that to your figuring. Here's one way to do it, what temp is your tap water?? Mines right about 155, try and match the temp of the tap water to hit your mash temp. Best thing I can think of if your flying blind

What's your altitude there? High up in the mountains water boils at a much lower temp, don't forget to add that to your figuring.

~ 290 ft. Lake Ontario is at about 245 ft, and I'll add another 40 or so for being a little bit off shore.

If I knew what my hot water temperature was, I wouldn't have to worry about calibrating my thermometer :cross:

Back