Thermapen Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Was just checking my Thermapen as I was boiling water to make my starter and noticed it showed 110.4 or so when the water was boiling. Do you think that the Thermapen needs re-calibrated or do you think water just so happens to boil at 210.4 or so where I live. I live in Columbus Ohio. Thanks for the help.

Was just checking my Thermapen as I was boiling water to make my starter and noticed it showed 110.4 or so when the water was boiling. Do you think that the Thermapen needs re-calibrated or do you think water just so happens to boil at 210.4 or so where I live. I live in Columbus Ohio. Thanks for the help.

110.4? Or 210.4? If it's 210.4, I think it's probably right.

every thermometer i have tested at my house in indiana shows 210 +- a few tenths for boiling.

more accurate is the ice water test. the thermopen explains how to do this test accurately.

Opps yeah I meant 210. Sorry about that. I did check the Thermapen site and they said to take off a degree with ever 500 feet in elevation. I looked up Columbus and its roughly 900 feet so 210. something or other would be about right. Thanks.

This is the accurate boiling temp of water in Columbus OH.

210.401 °F

Those thermapens are scary accurate.
I never regretted my purchase for a second.

Back