Quantcast

Thermapen Question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Breck09

Reaction score
Was just checking my Thermapen as I was boiling water to make my starter and noticed it showed 110.4 or so when the water was boiling. Do you think that the Thermapen needs re-calibrated or do you think water just so happens to boil at 210.4 or so where I live. I live in Columbus Ohio. Thanks for the help.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Was just checking my Thermapen as I was boiling water to make my starter and noticed it showed 110.4 or so when the water was boiling. Do you think that the Thermapen needs re-calibrated or do you think water just so happens to boil at 210.4 or so where I live. I live in Columbus Ohio. Thanks for the help.
110.4? Or 210.4? If it's 210.4, I think it's probably right.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
every thermometer i have tested at my house in indiana shows 210 +- a few tenths for boiling.

more accurate is the ice water test. the thermopen explains how to do this test accurately.

OP
Breck09

Breck09

Reaction score
Opps yeah I meant 210. Sorry about that. I did check the Thermapen site and they said to take off a degree with ever 500 feet in elevation. I looked up Columbus and its roughly 900 feet so 210. something or other would be about right. Thanks.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
This is the accurate boiling temp of water in Columbus OH.

210.401 °F

Those thermapens are scary accurate.
I never regretted my purchase for a second.