The Vermont Travel Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A colleague of mine brought me a Foley Brothers Prospect after visiting his sons in Vermont last week. Holy ****. I didn't know what to expect because the label kind of looked like home brew. Really excellent stuff.

One of the best DIPAs coming out of VT for my money. If it came in 16oz cans there would be lines for it.

Heading up from NJ/NYC to Mount Snow next Thursday-Sunday. Will not have much say in going off route, but any recommendations on places somewhat on the way that may have Backacre or Sip?

Does Pro Pig still have that thing with the stupid signs on their bathroom doors?

Its been like 2 years since I was there, and my gf got really annoyed about it then, so if they haven't changed it I have a feeling I'm gonna have to skip it.

Does Pro Pig still have that thing with the stupid signs on their bathroom doors?

Its been like 2 years since I was there, and my gf got really annoyed about it then, so if they haven't changed it I have a feeling I'm gonna have to skip it.

When I was there in November the male/female signs on the doors were covered by a piece of paper with a note stating someone was offended blah blah blah...

When I was there in November the male/female signs on the doors were covered by a piece of paper with a note stating someone was offended blah blah blah...

Right, so the stupid signs are still there. That's too bad. I've heard good things about the stuff they're brewing.

The Brewpub is separate from the restaurant proper. They contain their own bathrooms with non-offensive signage. However the food is limited and non-bbqesque.

With some planning, You can also go to the restaurant and skip the bathroom part.

Is it the note or the depiction of the male/female that draws the ire of your girlfriend?

The Brewpub is separate from the restaurant proper. They contain their own bathrooms with non-offensive signage. However the food is limited and non-bbqesque.

With some planning, You can also go to the restaurant and skip the bathroom part.

Is it the note or the depiction of the male/female that draws the ire of your girlfriend?

First of all, I don't want to make it sound like it's all her. I wouldn't feel great about going there either. I'm a little more forgiving than she is, but I still feel strongly about this subject.

Anyway, it is definitely not the depictions themselves. It's the transphobic message of the signs. They insist that only those with penises can be men and use the men's room, and only those with vaginas can be women and use the women's room.

That alone was enough to irk her, but I think she could have gotten over it if not for the notes now hung over the signs, which are worse. Don't pretend to apologize for your shitty signs when you clearly aren't sorry. It's like telling someone "I'm sorry that's how you feel." That isn't an apology, that's a **** you.

And like everybody in this country, they're entitled to their opinion, and they can conduct business however they please, and alienate whomever they please. But to me this is the same as walking into a pizza place and seeing a sign that says "This is America, Speak English or Get Out!" So yeah, no hard feelings, I have friends that go and love the place, and I don't give them grief about it and never will, but that place just isn't for me.

We all take offense/find humor in different ways, I don't expect anyone to view things that same way that I do, nor do I try to sway people one way or the other.

It would be unfortunate for people who truly love beer to miss out on the offerings coming out of the Prohibition Pig Brewery because of a sign in the resturant in the front. Seriously, Nate is kicking ass with brews across the style spectrum.

The brewery is a seperate structure that serves a much smaller menu of creative tacos/sandwiches/tasty stuff. The food in the brewery is meant to be more of a supporting cast, the beer is the leading lady.

First of all, I don't want to make it sound like it's all her. I wouldn't feel great about going there either. I'm a little more forgiving than she is, but I still feel strongly about this subject.

Anyway, it is definitely not the depictions themselves. It's the transphobic message of the signs. They insist that only those with penises can be men and use the men's room, and only those with vaginas can be women and use the women's room.

That alone was enough to irk her, but I think she could have gotten over it if not for the notes now hung over the signs, which are worse. Don't pretend to apologize for your shitty signs when you clearly aren't sorry. It's like telling someone "I'm sorry that's how you feel." That isn't an apology, that's a **** you.

And like everybody in this country, they're entitled to their opinion, and they can conduct business however they please, and alienate whomever they please. But to me this is the same as walking into a pizza place and seeing a sign that says "This is America, Speak English or Get Out!" So yeah, no hard feelings, I have friends that go and love the place, and I don't give them grief about it and never will, but that place just isn't for me.

If you can, go to the brewery side then. As youbrew stated, the beer is quite good. Very different than the restaurant and the beer was killer when I was there.

translation: go support this business despite the lack of tact they show at their sister business

translation: go support this business despite the lack of tact they show at their sister business

Stuff like tact is not important when making decisions about where to drink. See J Wakefield brewing

Life is too short to be offended by anything that doesn't directly relate to you. In fact, life is too short to be offended by anything.

Signs on a door do not change the quality of the food, drink, and service of a place. Prohibition Pig does all three of those things very well.

Life is too short to be offended by anything that doesn't directly relate to you. In fact, life is too short to be offended by anything.

Signs on a door do not change the quality of the food, drink, and service of a place. Prohibition Pig does all three of those things very well.
If the management/owners of the Prohibition Pig are comfortable with displaying transphobic sentiments I'm not particularly interested in giving them my money regardless of anything else the restaurant/brewpub has to offer.

I say that having not seen the actual signs that have been mentioned though. If and when I head up there again I'll likely try and take a look for them to see exactly what it says just so I can make my own evaluation, but if it's along the lines of what's been mentioned it's definitely something that would stop me from going to the Pro Pig.

It's a particularly bad look in Waterbury because there are so many other options. If the Pro Pig was the only game in town I might be more tempted to let it slide, but with the Blackback and Reservoir so close it's not a hard decision.

While I don't disagree, if you lack tact in one situation, odds are you lack it in others. I support a business for more than the food/drink they provided.

Note to business owners: the person on the other end of a 800 number may actually be a patron of your business, remember that before you open your mouth.

I guess I am the exception. I don't care what position a business takes on anything. So long as the products and services are good I will frequent that business.

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

Surprisingly easy to find.

I don't want to weigh in on this specific matter, but hatred and intolerance suck.

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

Surprisingly easy to find.

I don't want to weigh in on this specific matter, but hatred and intolerance suck.

Thanks for posting this. The top picture is the sign for the men's room. The women's room sign has a similar symbol, albeit with an indent representing a vagina.

I had forgotten how non-offensive these actually were. If you read anything into these other than men's room and women's room you are clearly looking for a reason to *****. how is this transphobic??? It doesn't imply anything other than the intended designation. People can infer what they want from it.

I had forgotten how non-offensive these actually were. If you read anything into these other than men's room and women's room you are clearly looking for a reason to *****. how is this transphobic??? It doesn't imply anything other than the intended designation. People can infer what they want from it.

As I said earlier:
They insist that only those with penises can be men and use the men's room, and only those with vaginas can be women and use the women's room.

You may not see any issue with that, but as I understand it, something like that can be deeply upsetting for members of the trans community. You take for granted feeling comfortable walking into the restroom, but for someone that has spent their entire life struggling with gender identity issues, it can be a big ****ing deal.

As I said earlier:

You may not see any issue with that, but as I understand it, something like that can be deeply upsetting for members of the trans community. You take for granted feeling comfortable walking into the restroom, but for someone that has spent their entire life struggling with gender identity issues, it can be a big ****ing deal.
Is there a part of the sign that says MEN ONLY TRANSGENDER FOLK GO PISS OUTSIDE? If so I don't see it. What I see is a "cutesy" way of designating the restrooms not a damning of any group of people. I am genuinely curious how you get to these signs being transphobic because they have a penis and vagina as apposed to a M and W.

Is there a part of the sign that says MEN ONLY TRANSGENDER FOLK GO PISS OUTSIDE? If so I don't see it. What I see is a "cutesy" way of designating the restrooms not a damning of any group of people. I am genuinely curious how you get to these signs being transphobic because they have a penis and vagina as apposed to a M and W.

I'm pretty sure I've already said it twice, but I guess I'll say it a third time. The signs insist that only those with penises can be men and use the men's room, and only those with vaginas can be women and use the women's room. And, to be clear,
gender ≠ genitalia.

So the symbol on the door has a dick, in effect saying that that room is for people with dicks. And maybe you don't immediately recognize this, and only see it as cutesy because you aren't a member of the trans community. That's fine, but you can't discount the reaction a group of people has simply because you don't have the same reaction. You were born with the privilege of never having to think twice about which bathroom to use. Many trans folks don't have such an easy time, and for them, such a set of signs would be hurtful, and it can make them feel intimidated, unwelcome, and uncomfortable. Nobody deserves to suffer internal conflict about where they can pee when they're at a restaurant.

I think I've made my point, and if you feel differently, that's cool. I respect that. Go drink all of the Pro Pig beers, and eat all of their bbq. I sincerely hope that every drop and bite are delicious.

They're clearly a reaction to someone being offended by the original Men/Women bathroom signs. I don't know the context or reason for the original offense that was taken so I'll not speculate there.

I think the response from the Pro Pig is pretty clearly uncalled for and needlessly aggressive. Putting offense in quotes trivializes and attacks the motivations of whoever took issue with the signs. Regardless of your opinion on whether they should have taken offense I generally dislike this reaction because it immediately fails at any attempt to understand or connect with another person and their opinions. It instantly disregards them and then implies that they're a liar or have ulterior motivations.

Then setting up new signs that are clearly gendered in ways that are meant to be "subtle" is a slap in the face to folks who have struggled with gender identity. It does nothing to address the original complaint, regardless of its validity, and is seemingly intended only as an insult to the first person who complained.

I think they took a situation where they could have taken the high road and instead, in an effort to stick it to one person who may have been overly sensitive, whether justifiably or not, are now doing something that could be easily and more broadly taken as offensive by an entire group of people. It's crass, unfeeling, and lacks empathy for others.

In the end, if it doesn't offend you it doesn't offend you, but I think you're looking at the situation in a far too simplistic light. Just because the signs don't explicitly insult people who are transgender doesn't mean that they're not insulting or problematic. Issues like this tend to be more subtle, and the way that the Pro Pig reacted and doubled down on gender norms is absolutely something I take issue with.

It is currently ~20 degrees and slightly overcast in Vermont.

Dirt roads are likely to be very muddy next week, plan accordingly if you are travelling through

How much longer do you think the huevos rancheros at Old Stagecoach will last? I'm heading up in April for the Lawson's Anniversary, and I'm hoping they'll still be available for on-site consumption.

Can anybody speak to the quality of weekday breakfast spots in Montpelier? Specifically, a place to eat after copping Heady at Hunger Mountain on a Thursday morning. The Skinny Pancake's menu is looking pretty good, but I'm open to suggestions.

Can anybody speak to the quality of weekday breakfast spots in Montpelier? Specifically, a place to eat after copping Heady at Hunger Mountain on a Thursday morning. The Skinny Pancake's menu is looking pretty good, but I'm open to suggestions.
Only place I've had breakfast in Montpelier... heard that corner diner was good though.

Tucker will hate me for saying this, but the breakfast burrito at skinny pancake in montpelier is on point when you don't feel like waiting for three penny to open. They ask you if you want bacon though. The question never makes sense when I'm feeling really hazy after a night at Tucker's house (oof). Why the **** wouldn't you want bacon?

I have been wanting to try the Lost Nation Gose for a while... Will I be able to find cans at Willie's or Parker this week, or should I go to the brewery?

I have been wanting to try the Lost Nation Gose for a while... Will I be able to find cans at Willie's or Parker this week, or should I go to the brewery?

It was all over Stowe when I was there. Lots of random places had it. And maybe Burlington too? And Waterbury?

Thanks. Looks like Tomlinson's is the closest place (to Hill) to get some Heady too... Anywhere else it would be available?

Back