The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sir humpsalot said:
swmbo hates beer. So she says. But i keep handing her samples, she takes a tiny polite little sip, wrinkles her nose, says, "ick! Yuck!" and then 2 minutes later she takes another sip and smiles. Then she says, "it's actually kind of sweet and caramelly" or "i don't like that one. It's too bitter." she doesn't realize it, but she's learning. I don't expect her to like anything i brew, let alone everything.

But i am leading her towards pinpointing some flavors and characteristics that she likes. So far my hefeweizen is "actually not that bad", my stout "has a nice caramel flavor" and in my oatmeal cookie ale "you can kind of taste the cookie..." in time, she will find a beer that she doesn't mind. They all do eventually.

Not really dumb comments. I actually consider them high praise coming from someone who doesn't drink much and can't even stomach a bmc. She is actually way ahead of people just by the fact that she doesn't know enough to think that bmc might be good. Stout, hefe, flanders ale, gose, geuze, ris, and bmc, are all on equal footing. And that is really interesting.

I haven't gotten many dumb comments. I guess it's because i introduce my beer with my mr. Wizard hat on, loading people with a ton of technical scientific concepts and historical anecdotes that convince them i am the einstein/george will of beer. They see the refractometer, the hydrometer, learn about my sanitation procedure, and then the 5 gallon pot in a bathtub doesn't seem so scary. They learn that it's actually sanitary or else it wouldn't even turn into beer. They inevitably give in to my geekiness and have to suspend their disbelief. And of course them starting to catch a buzz doesn't hurt either.

I present my beers as a ridiculous modern science... That touches the very roots of humankind. The thought of someone not liking any of my beer is... Absurd.

2524741-Cool_abbfab_1578124.jpg

I can't fathom a better description except to say that a Homebrew buzz is a very warm buzz. You don't get wasted on homebrew, you get comfortable.

It is like a homecooked meal. You may not like the dish, but if you force people into the right mental perspective ("hey, I made this. This is my hospitality.") then it's very hard for them to not appreciate it. I think a lot of the dumb comments come from people who expect to get wasted and don't realize there is a brewer behind it... A guy who made it. They forget, or fail to realize, that beer is more than a commodity Its no different from making a meat loaf or a cake.

How many people eat Wonderbread and get wierded out by a simple loaf of French bread? It's tough and doughy... But hey keep practicing and someday maybe you will make a bread as good as Wonderbread.

That's a good tomato sauce, but it's no Ragu... What ******* would say that?

I think that if you get comments like that, you are dealing with small-minded people and completely failing to guide/manage expectations.

Look. I don't brew BMC. I like flavor in my beer. Let me show you some real flavors...

Sir Humpsalot said:
I can't fathom a better description except to say that a Homebrew buzz is a very warm buzz. You don't get wasted on homebrew, you get comfortable.

Ethanol is ethanol regardless of medium. If you drink too much of it you'll get wasted.

Reno_eNVy said:
Ethanol is ethanol regardless of medium. If you drink too much of it you'll get wasted.

In trying to correct my factual inaccuracy, you actually kinda missed the underlying point.

You are technically right, of course. And wrong.

It is like a homecooked meal. You may not like the dish, but if you force people into the right mental perspective ("hey, I made this. This is my hospitality.") then it's very hard for them to not appreciate it. I think a lot of the dumb comments come from people who expect to get wasted and don't realize there is a brewer behind it... A guy who made it. They forget, or fail to realize, that beer is more than a commodity Its no different from making a meat loaf or a cake.

How many people eat Wonderbread and get wierded out by a simple loaf of French bread? It's tough and doughy... But hey keep practicing and someday maybe you will make a bread as good as Wonderbread.

That's a good tomato sauce, but it's no Ragu... What ******* would say that?

I think that if you get comments like that, you are dealing with small-minded people and completely failing to guide/manage expectations.

Look. I don't brew BMC. I like flavor in my beer. Let me show you some real flavors...

Who is this guy?

I've achieved and maintained a warm buzz with home brew, though more often it turns into a drunken stupor.

Shoot, I've got a warm buzz going right now! But I know darn well the only thing keeping it from being a drunken stupor is not drinking more homebrew :drunk:

I brew lower ABV most of the time. While I love the taste of a RIS or Barleywine, for drinking enjoyment I love to down pint after pint without getting stupid and out of control. A healthy mix of 2.8-4.0% beers makes that easy and pleasant.

I dont get nearly as drunk now as I used to... And my guests don't break my stuff, and they get home safely. And nobody ever complains about the quality or taste of my brews. I have plenty of styles to choose from.

Meh, I don't find that stupid or even odd at all. Producing anything to be commercial quality with cheap home equipment is usually difficult and often impossible. Home brewed beer is just something that happens to be able to meet and even at times exceed its commercial counterparts. I think even most homebrewers were at one point also surprised at the quality of beer they, or people they knew, were able to produce.

I am still surprised I can make good beer. Every once in a while I'll have one and think. "Wow, I'm really doing this!" I don't like a lot of commercial beer as much as I used to, either.

It wasn't my homebrew, but I was having a Guinness in a local bar one day and the guy next to me (a total stranger) was drinking one of the light, fizzy beers from a major mega-swill brewery. The first thing he says to me is "I don't know how you can drink that s**t!". I turned to him and said "I was just thinking of saying that very thing to you!" :D

[...]Producing anything to be commercial quality with cheap home equipment is usually difficult and often impossible. Home brewed beer is just something that happens to be able to meet and even at times exceed its commercial counterparts. [...]

Clever - using diametrically opposed statements to keep us all confused about whether there was a point being made or not.

And it worked.

Cheers! ;)

day_trippr said:
Clever - using diametrically opposed statements to keep us all confused about whether there was a point being made or not.

And it worked.

Cheers! ;)

They are not opposed, due to the words "usually" and "often" ;)

Was at a friend's cottage this weekend. Just me, my buddy, and his parents - known them forever. Anyway, I brought a few different homebrews for everyone to try by the fire, mainly an IPA and a IIPA. So we're there on Friday night drinking them, buddy's dad is going crazy saying "this is good! I don't want to drink my beer anymore! my beer has no flavour!". Food was a bunch of stuff - cooked some sausages on the fire, made some burgers (which my buddy's dad bit in to and realized it still had the paper on it), ate some spicy doritos, had some gross bologna sandwiches while out fishing earlier, etc. Anyway buddy's mom wouldn't even try a sip of the homebrew. Flat-out refused to trust that my beer wouldn't kill us all instantly. So went to bed that night, but then I woke up in the middle of the night with terrible stomach pain, and absolutely destroyed the outhouse.

Next morning:
the mom: "so how'd you guys sleep?"
me: "great, but I had a bad stomach ache in the middle of the night"
the mom: "probably that beer you were drinking"

It was kind of insulting. But in the end more beer for me so who cares. On the plus side, my friend's dad wants me to teach him how to make beer up at the cottage. Wants some simple extract instructions. Time to get that well-water report!

Shoot, I've got a warm buzz going right now! But I know darn well the only thing keeping it from being a drunken stupor is not drinking more homebrew :drunk:

"hey why you drinking at work, Paul? You can't get wasted and get paid for it."
"relax, boss. I'm only getting comfortable. This is my homebrew. Everyone knows you can't get wasted on homebrew"
"ah, I see. Carry on, then."

paulster2626 said:
"hey why you drinking at work, Paul? You can't get wasted and get paid for it."
"relax, boss. I'm only getting comfortable. This is my homebrew. Everyone knows you can't get wasted on homebrew"
"ah, I see. Carry on, then."

Sorta related: everyone at the office knows when I've had a lot of homebrew because I stink up the place the next day :-D

I brought three beers to a wedding (rehearsal & wedding after-party)... so the comments were bound to be interesting.

Everyone at the rehearsal dinner thought it was great - I had nothing but good comments. At the after-party (which didn't last long) I had a few interesting, drunken comments. They all liked the beer, but:

"This stout is very stouty."

and

"I really liked that Grolsch," after which *everyone* called the Kölsch "Grolsch." There was also a couple who'd lived in Cologne and said it was very good but you can't call it Kölsch unless it comes from Cologne.

Everyone liked it, though... they just felt like they had to say more than that they liked it, I guess. Unfortunately the Kölsch is gone... I'd have liked to enter that into a competition -- it may be the best beer I've made, imho.

I had a gem today. We were visiting family in a really small town. While having lunch at the diner I saw they had SNPA. So I ordered one and the waitress looks at me confused and says "is that some sort of wine?" I point it out on the beer list and immediately regret it. Of course it was old and had lost all its hop aroma. Still gave me a chuckle though.

Krazykripple said:
people like my wheat beers because they "don't have that beery taste." WTF?

Ha! I get that. I love getting that compliment. I think they mean it doesn't taste like BMC. At least that is what I hope they mean.

3 comments I got on beer I haven't forgot:

I gave by brother in law a homebrew to taste. When I asked if he wanted more, I got the answer that he would try later when I had grown in brewing.
No problem if you don't like the tast of a bee, but don't tell me that I can't brew if you have little beer knowledge :(

My neighboor (who is my brewmate) asked his father in law if hey could serve him some beer. The answer 'yeah, I would like a fine nice pils' meaning on normal supermarket beer ..

When you give a bottle of homebrew to someone, explaining it is homebrewed. They all come eventually with the same question: "but how do you put a cap on the bottle?"

And .. hey did it again! :mad:
My brother in law tasted my WM Tripel. Didn't liked it and gave it to his wife who liked it.
After that I tasted a sample of my Weizen, 2 days refermenting in the keg. I said is was very young but I could taste that the flavor was coming. Not there yet but absolutely comming.
He replied 'ah, just like your first beers'.
WTF Dude if you don;t like or understand beer than shut up. Being to a trappist tour once in your live doesn;t make you beer expert! :mad:

Story time, kids! Earlier tonight, I had the most blonde bimbo-esque hipster collegiate customer come into the bottle shop I work at. I'm still trying to purge the idiocy from my mind with a few brews, but the conversation went something like this:

"Hey, I'm looking for a good beer, like not too hoppy, y'know?"

*interest piqued*

I proceed to question her about what sort of brews she has tried and what styles she enjoys.

"Oh, there's not really any kind of style that I like, like, y'know? Like, I had Bud Platinum once and it was good, but my boyfriend told me to come here and that you'd help me find something as good."

At this point, I was ready to facepalm myself into next week just to get this dipsh!t out of the store.

Me: "Well, we have some good pale ales that aren't too expensive." I proceed to point out stuff like Mirror Pond, Ballast Point, SN, Stone Levitation, etc.

A few minutes later, after I'd gone back behind the register to do some other stuff and let her browse:

"Yeah, you guys really don't have that much good beer." She tries to make a quick escape.

Already somewhat pissed at this preppie moron, I spat out the first thing that came to mind:

"Sweetie, if you can't discern Bud Platinum from good beer, I've got an igloo in Alaska to sell you."

She left with a somewhat puzzled look on her face. :rockin:

You don't carry Bud Platinum? What kind of rinky dink bottle shop do you left coasters run!?

I love when people automatically attribute any flavor they don't like to the only word they know to associate with beer. "Hoppy. Because I don't know any other words that describe a beer".

people like my wheat beers because they "don't have that beery taste." WTF?
Ha! I get that. I love getting that compliment. I think they mean it doesn't taste like BMC. At least that is what I hope they mean.
I'm guessing they mean they like the taste of hefe yeast but not ale yeast.

It took me and some very experienced brewing friends a long time to realize that is what I didn't enjoy about "beer". I drank wort and loved it, I chewed on hops and didn't mind the flavor, but "beer" was kinda yucky to me.

It was frustrating. I like alcohol, I like grains, I like hops in moderation. What else is there!?!? Then it clicked! When I mentioned not liking a mead brewed with Coopers ale yeast.

Never ever tell a casual beer drinker that what they just enjoyed was a sour beer. Just the word "sour" can automatically cause concern with the non educated. To go even further, try to limit your discussion of brett/lactose/intentional infection and general fermentation of sour beers to a minimum with the non educated. And whatever you do, do NOT show them pictures of the beer they just drank during the various stages of its fermentation. That is, unless you don't like them and you want to horde your beer.

Whattawort said:
Never ever tell a casual beer drinker that what they just enjoyed was a sour beer. Just the word "sour" can automatically cause concern with the non educated. To go even further, try to limit your discussion of brett/lactose/intentional infection and general fermentation of sour beers to a minimum with the non educated. And whatever you do, do NOT show them pictures of the beer they just drank during the various stages of its fermentation. That is, unless you don't like them and you want to horde your beer.

Right, because telling someone the beer they just drank was intentionally infected is ever so much more soothing than telling them it's sour ;)

Right, because telling someone the beer they just drank was intentionally infected is ever so much more soothing than telling them it's sour ;)

It's a natural progression of questions that leads to their fear. I've heard a conversation go something like this:

"What kind of beer is this? I really like it."
"Its a "insert type" sour."
"What makes it "sour"?
"Well, I kinda ferment it like a typical beer and then intentionally infect it with something called brettonmyces and also with some lactobaccilis. It's hard to explain. Here, let me show you a couple of pics of what it looked like while it was fermenting and I'll explain what was going on at that time."
"AAAAAHHHH! You let me drink that?!"

Whattawort said:
It's a natural progression of questions that leads to their fear. I've heard a conversation go something like this:

"What kind of beer is this? I really like it."
"Its a "insert type" sour."
"What makes it "sour"?
"Well, I kinda ferment it like a typical beer and then intentionally infect it with something called brettonmyces and also with some lactobaccilis. It's hard to explain. Here, let me show you a couple of pics of what it looked like while it was fermenting and I'll explain what was going on at that time."
"AAAAAHHHH! You let me drink that?!"

Lol.. I want to make some labels that have a choice shot from the pellicle thread now.

No matter how many times I see a pellicle, it makes me want to gag. I've tried to like sour beers more times than I care to count, but it just isn't in me. SWMBO loves 'em though.

Have you guys tried mild sours? I like a mild sour, but I have to be in the mood for it. I doubt at this time my palate would enjoy an aggressive sour, but I can definitely get into a mild sour.

1) Guys walks up to the bar I work at Which has Stella Artois, Bells Two Hearted, Sam Adams Summer Ale, and the Founders Porter..
"Why don't you guys have any domestic beers?" me: "Sam Adams, Bells, and Founders are made in the U.S.", Him: "No DOMESTIC like bud light.
2) Customers orders her meal but says " I have a very serious Gluten Alergy" and then she asks for a beer and upon warning her that beer has gluten in it she informs me that "she can have that kind of gluten."

:D Haha, I literally laughed out loud on this one. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back