The Stasis - A glycol system designed for homebrewers - Pre-Order now for $599

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clicking on the Kickstarter link, it goes to their website, when you click on the "order now" button it says that its $659.00. The link in here, & posted above says $599

Yes, you are correct. Very interesting. Perhaps they felt there was more value and more profit to be had since the demand was there. Nothing wrong with making a profit. But it does move the needle again that pricing is probably not the attraction anymore.

Perhaps they are using a common push back sales move that is used to keep people from requesting refunds since they are having months and months of delivery delays. People may read the price has gone up to $659 and then decide not to request a refund and keep their "deal" at $599 if they are ever considering about purchasing it later when they know it is eventually available and is working as described.

....I received an update from Craft-A-Brew yesterday stating that the container is at the dock ready for shipping, a shipper qualified to transport coolant has been selected, and that it will be at sea 25+ days. Apparently available sailing dates are more sparse due to the requirement of using this particular shipper. I’m betting on a late-March delivery date.

When I first read this, it didn't make sense to me.

Here is why and what is posted on their website "LOGISTICS: Our partners are highly experienced in getting goods from manufacturer to our warehouse. At Craft a Brew we have experience shipping items like The Stasis with multiple carriers and have the ability to scale our fulfillment team quickly to ensure there is a quick turn around between receiving the units to shipping them to you."

You can read this by scrolling to the bottom of this link and reading the "Risks and Challenges" section. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craftabrew/the-stasis-craft-brewing-technology-for-homebrewers

EDIT: After rereading their statement, I believe they were referring to them shipping out the orders once they receive the product via multiple carriers and not using multiple "shippers" from China mainland.

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct. Very interesting. Perhaps they felt there was more value and more profit to be had since the demand was there. Nothing wrong with making a profit. But it does move the needle again that pricing is probably not the attraction anymore.
too bad, $599 is a big investment for an unknown product & numerous delays. the $599 banner ad on this site yesterday is now gone, and the website now says $659 where it was $599 yesterday.
The price keeps getting jacked up despite the delivery continuing to be pushed out by months. I liked the looks of this a lot, but probably have to start looking at some other options.

Last edited:
When I first read this, it didn't make sense to me.

Here is why and what is posted on their website "LOGISTICS: Our partners are highly experienced in getting goods from manufacturer to our warehouse. At Craft a Brew we have experience shipping items like The Stasis with multiple carriers and have the ability to scale our fulfillment team quickly to ensure there is a quick turn around between receiving the units to shipping them to you."

You can read this by scrolling to the bottom of this link and reading the "Risks and Challenges" section. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craftabrew/the-stasis-craft-brewing-technology-for-homebrewers

EDIT: After rereading their statement, I believe they were referring to them shipping out the orders once they receive the product via multiple carriers and not using multiple "shippers" from China mainland.

No, it’s the ocean-based, containerized shipping they’re referring to. Here’s the portion of their update email which talks about this issue:

“The shipping container with the chillers & accessories is at port and ready to ship to our FL warehouse. We were anticipating an earlier ship date, but the Chinese New Year combined with choosing the most reputable shipper have resulted in slight delays. Because the Stasis contains a refrigerant, we did have to use a more qualified & experienced shipper to ensure the container isn’t held up in red tape, this greatly limited the amount of routes and options for this container. Inexperienced shippers were more readily available, but they would have more hoops to jump through to approve loading and transporting these types of goods. By choosing the shipper we’ve decided to work with we were able to get approval for the refrigerant on board the container weeks before loading it, which will expedite the process in the long run, preventing hiccups & delays once the goods get to our port.”

No, it’s the ocean-based, containerized shipping they’re referring to. Here’s the portion of their update email which talks about this issue:

“The shipping container with the chillers & accessories is at port and ready to ship to our FL warehouse. We were anticipating an earlier ship date, but the Chinese New Year combined with choosing the most reputable shipper have resulted in slight delays. Because the Stasis contains a refrigerant, we did have to use a more qualified & experienced shipper to ensure the container isn’t held up in red tape, this greatly limited the amount of routes and options for this container. Inexperienced shippers were more readily available, but they would have more hoops to jump through to approve loading and transporting these types of goods. By choosing the shipper we’ve decided to work with we were able to get approval for the refrigerant on board the container weeks before loading it, which will expedite the process in the long run, preventing hiccups & delays once the goods get to our port.”

Interesting. Seems like a lot of conflicting messaging is taking place. I thought the Chinese New Year is January 25, 2020, not November 2019. I thought, based upon their website, they had already selected a shipper or shippers and had already figured the logistics.

A 1/5 hp glycol chiller that can't cold crash?
So your definition of "cold crash" what? Below freezing? Most professional references speak to "near freezing" temperatures. At the couple breweries I know, they crash to 36F. To be honest, I don't quite see the point for most homebrewers. I've only done it with lagers that I fermented in my garage in the wintertime and haven't noticed any advantage, plus you need to make an accommodation to avoid suckback issues. The Brülosophy folks did an exBeeriment which showed no noticeable benefit.

I'll be using the Stasis primarily for fermentation temperature control.

Interesting. Seems like a lot of conflicting messaging is taking place. I thought the Chinese New Year is January 25, 2020, not November 2019. I thought, based upon their website, they had already selected a shipper or shippers and had already figured the logistics.
I don't quite know where you inferred anything about November 2019, unless you're confused about the dates of their communications. I'm not happy about the continual delays and relatively infrequent updates, but I don't think there's anything nefarious going on here.

I don't quite know where you inferred anything about November 2019, unless you're confused about the dates of their communications. I'm not happy about the continual delays and relatively infrequent updates, but I don't think there's anything nefarious going on here.

LOL, not confused at all. Quite simple, if they delivered in November 2019, they would not be writing all the excuses and providing misinformation. Remember, it was their timeline and their assurances they had on their website when trying to incite sales.

To quote under their Risks and challenges section, "We are working with a production and logistics team that is overseeing all stages of production of this product to ensure we have the highest quality control possible and to ensure there are no delays along the way."

Under their Manufacturing section they write "We are working with manufacturing partners that are very experienced to ensure there are no major issues along the way. They have a long track record of success in this market and we have been working with them for two years to fine tune the final production version of The Stasis." You can read the entire sales pitch starting with page 24.

Not surprisingly, they have removed all of this information from their website. I at least captured it before they did that.

....Here’s the portion of their update email which talks about this issue:

You wrote the above on January 23rd. So, do you see any conflicting information when comparing to what they had originally on their website? Can you explain their lack of communication, misinformation or information that conflicts with their other information? I believe in transparency and regular communication. I suspect there are individuals who bought that if they knew it would be this long would not have participated in the kickstarter. Here it is February 2020.....

My friend who asked me to look into their unit before making a decision to buy it, now says he is not interested. He says over promising and under delivering is something he does not want to be associated with. Maybe once they ever get the kinks out and learn from past mistakes along with having a steady manufacturing stream and inventory, they will be successful. It will take capital on their part. I wish them the best.

More importantly, I wish you along with all the others receive their units soon and are of the quality promised.

Attachments

• Stasis.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 36
LOL, not confused at all. Quite simple, if they delivered in November 2019, they would not be writing all the excuses and providing misinformation. Remember, it was their timeline and their assurances they had on their website when trying to incite sales.

To quote under their Risks and challenges section, "We are working with a production and logistics team that is overseeing all stages of production of this product to ensure we have the highest quality control possible and to ensure there are no delays along the way."

Under their Manufacturing section they write "We are working with manufacturing partners that are very experienced to ensure there are no major issues along the way. They have a long track record of success in this market and we have been working with them for two years to fine tune the final production version of The Stasis." You can read the entire sales pitch starting with page 24.

Not surprisingly, they have removed all of this information from their website. I at least captured it before they did that.

You wrote the above on January 23rd. So, do you see any conflicting information when comparing to what they had originally on their website? Can you explain their lack of communication, misinformation or information that conflicts with their other information? I believe in transparency and regular communication. I suspect there are individuals who bought that if they knew it would be this long would not have participated in the kickstarter. Here it is February 2020.....

My friend who asked me to look into their unit before making a decision to buy it, now says he is not interested. He says over promising and under delivering is something he does not want to be associated with. Maybe once they ever get the kinks out and learn from past mistakes along with having a steady manufacturing stream and inventory, they will be successful. It will take capital on their part. I wish them the best.

More importantly, I wish you along with all the others receive their units soon and are of the quality promised.
OK, I get that now. Simple, although not obvious. I cannot disagree with your conclusions.

I came here looking for an update on the delivery of the Stasis and it looks like everyone is getting the same thing, no updates. Last update was on Kickstarter on the 20th of January. For those of you who are worried about delivery the update stated 25+ days at sea. If this is the case, remember this was the time the whole 2019-nCoV was blowing up in China. Also at this time airlines were starting to no longer fly into those areas of the largest outbreaks. This would also concern ports for shipping. If they were unable to get out before a closure of a port of call then this thing could be delayed further. I am fine with that because it is not something that could be predicted. The only thing that bothers me is no communication at this point. I ordered the Stasis on the 21st of January because of the last update on the Kickstarter page. I am hoping an update is coming soon.

....I ordered the Stasis on the 21st of January because of the last update on the Kickstarter page. I am hoping an update is coming soon.

That says it all. Others have been waiting months (not days like you)...big, big difference!

Others ordered last Summer/Fall with a promised delivery date of November 2019. Had their orders been fulfilled by the promise date of November 2019, there would be no excuses.

For those that want some answers, you might try calling them at (407) 440-2905. Though when I called, after several rings it went to an answering messaging system where it said to leave a message and one of their brewmasters or customer service representatives will get back to you shortly. It's at least worth a try.

http://www.buzzfile.com/business/Craft-A-Brew-407-440-2905

Just received this update!

Your ticket is now solved! (no subject) [https://ci5] Craft a Brew Thu, 02/06/20 8:46 pm Hi,

The Stasis chillers & accessories are on the water on their way to our warehouse. It seems that there may have been a slight delay due to manadtory business closures (due to the virus), but it looks like we’re still on for February arrival, possibly mid-late month.

I don’t have an exact ETA, but we are expecting another update from our shipper early next week.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else!

Wed, 01/29/20 5:19 am Message: We still looking at a Early February ship date? Is the China situation causing any hold ups for shipping? Chat nowPowered by HelpDesk

[https://ci3]

Thanks for sharing the update! It's frustrating that they don't do a better job of communicating with those who have ordered. They haven't shared that info with me. My last estimate of mid- to late-March is still looking solid, even with the now typical Craft-A-Brew over-promising and under-delivering.

I have looked everywhere for the perfect size chiller and came back to the stasis several times. The price point is right and the size. Let's just hope it delivers, literally and figuratively.
Screw it, pulled the trigger on one minutes ago! Add me to the "now patiently awaiting" list. I have 2 7 Ga SSBT BME fermenters, this should do the job.

So an official update was posted on their Kickstarter page. The set date for the container ship to arrive at port is the 2/29/2020. It is set for for warehouse arrival a few days after and shipment will get started. Looks like an early March arrival for the Stasis.

was saving up for a glycol chiller. got onto their site today and the price has just been jacked up another $100 to $750. unbelievable.:no: looks like I'm out- they made no mention of another price hike when I talked to them last week. maybe just add a cheap kegerator at this point.

Last edited:
The lower price was for pre-order only. That ended last week. We still haven't had an update on delivery. Was supposed to be on the 29th but no word as of yet.
was saving up for a glycol chiller. got onto their site today and the price has just been jacked up another $100 to $750. unbelievable.:no: looks like I'm out- they made no mention of another price hike when I talked to them last week. maybe just add a cheap kegerator at this point.

The lower price was for pre-order only. That ended last week. We still haven't had an update on delivery. Was supposed to be on the 29th but no word as of yet.

Per their website "*Expected delivery - March 2020" (https://craftabrew.com/products/the-stasis-glycol-chiller). So, its only March 3rd, what do you expect?

You can get a different unit from another manufacturer that is proven, has higher BTUs and is cheaper.

I like capitalism. Maybe the lack of future supply due to China's struggles warrants a 15.5% price increase. If people are willing to pay for it, great! Supply and demand....let the market decide. Though, I would have concern about future warranty demands as it sounds like there isn't much, if any, spare parts involving the kick starter. Hopefully, it performs as described.

The 15.5% increase you speak of, was what the retail was set to be, last year....$749. Early backers etc, were able to pick one up at $599, or in my case (late to the party) $659. Either way, they clearly informed everyone back in July, what the unit cost would retail for. Not sure where the confusion is coming from.

Per their website "*Expected delivery - March 2020" (https://craftabrew.com/products/the-stasis-glycol-chiller). So, its only March 3rd, what do you expect?

You can get a different unit from another manufacturer that is proven, has higher BTUs and is cheaper.
Not sure what that one is . The ice master is the same. Others I’ve seen are higher and require you to pay extra for pumps and controllers to control fermentation. All of these things seem to be overpriced.

Not sure what that one is . The ice master is the same. Others I’ve seen are higher and require you to pay extra for pumps and controllers to control fermentation. All of these things seem to be overpriced.

Then you have not been paying attention. I bought mine for $679.99 when MoreBeer had a sale June 2019. They had the same sale last December. Then, in December, they lowered it by accident by another $20.

Yep, you have to buy a pump and controller. Yep, it can chill down to 28F (that is the lowest I have chilled to in southern AZ). They are proven and have been on the market.

There has been 50% off sales last December on controllers as well. If you are comparing all the chillers on the market based upon a two pump configuration and ignore BTUs etc., it appears the Stasis may be a little cheaper. If price is your only consideration rather than known performance or quality, then Stasis should be your choice. Again, you may save a few dollars.

Personally, I wished I bought my chiller sooner. I understand your frustration and I hope you find what you are looking for.

The 15.5% increase you speak of, was what the retail was set to be, last year....$749. Early backers etc, were able to pick one up at $599, or in my case (late to the party) $659. Either way, they clearly informed everyone back in July, what the unit cost would retail for. Not sure where the confusion is coming from.

I was responding to @WESBREW and calculated the math. It was he that was surprised and frustrated with the price increase. As I wrote, I think it is great they can increase pricing.

With that being said, I don't believe they gave dates or dollar amounts of when they planned to start increasing the pricing from $539. Maybe I missed something, maybe not. Do you have a link to that information?

With that being said, I don't believe they gave dates or dollar amounts of when they planned to start increasing the pricing from $539. Maybe I missed something, maybe not. Do you have a link to that information?
Yeah, I was emailing them questions last week about the unit and purchase options. a heads-up on price increase would have been nice. whatever, onward. was busy converting to electric brewery and fixing issues so I haven't been really looking until recently. I'll look out for sales. still could opt for a small upright freezer in the garage.

Last edited:
Personally that much for a chiller that only gets to 36 degrees boggles my mind. The temp of the chiller i would imagine would be a few degrees cooler than the fermenter. So realistically you are getting to around 39-40?

The "early backer" thing was what got me in the market for actually buying a glycol chiller. $599 certainly grabbed my attention when the offer first broke. I had been using a DIY setup with an Igloo cooler I'd converted and an aquarium pump and controller that came with the Ss Brewtech Chronical I purchased almost two years ago. It didn't take me long to come to the conclusion that swapping out 1 gallon frozen jugs at least twice a day wasn't much fun. Plus it was really hard to maintain an even temperature, let alone crash chill, with a DIY setup.

I tried repurposing a Brew Jacket peltier chiller but there was too much of the cooling rod exposed to air inside the fermenter to be efficient, and it couldn't be used under pressure once I got a unitank so that experiment didn't work out. I didn't want to go the 'WalMart portable air conditioner' route, so a ready made glycol device was the only thing that would scratch my itch. $599 seemed a 'reasonable' price point if I was willing to wait for delivery fulfillment. Then came the first price bump off the 'early' early subscriber price. O.K., still doable, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Then there were delays in the supply chain, and an impending second price bump before deliveries would begin and retail price would be charged. Then another delay. The price differential was now only $100 between retail and the Ss Brew Tech model that I could have in my basement brewery within a week, freight included.

Bang. Trigger pulled. Even got $50 off for some kind of promotion, but of course that evaporated with the add-ons I now felt empowered to buy (heating element and controller upgrades for both Chronical and Unitank, TC devices I'd been fantasizing about for awhile, etc.). So my $599 curiosity had morphed into an $1,100 purchase. That said, even though there have only been a handful of brew sessions since October when I finally got everything put together and dialed in, they have all been smooth and effortless with complete control (temperature and pressure) on the cold-side process. And here it is, March, and the Stasis is still 'vaporware'. Between when I received my chiller and when the Stasis might be delivered given the supply chain disruptions over Covid19, I will easily have a dozen brew sessions done and through the kegerator with a proven system, absent any inherent growing pains.

I'm certainly not a genius, but I feel I made the right (lucky) choice in this case. It was worth the $500 premium.

Brooo Brother

The container ship was supposed to land 29 Feb. Shipping was not expected till March.

I like capitalism. Maybe the lack of future supply due to China's struggles warrants a 15.5% price increase. If people are willing to pay for it, great! Supply and demand....let the market decide. Though, I would have concern about future warranty demands as it sounds like there isn't much, if any, spare parts involving the kick starter. Hopefully, it performs as described.

So an official update was posted on their Kickstarter page. The set date for the container ship to arrive at port is the 2/29/2020. It is set for for warehouse arrival a few days after and shipment will get started. Looks like an early March arrival for the Stasis.

Per your own previous post, they only mentioned the expected arrival port date of 2/29/2020. They did not mention when they would post an update.

The container ship was supposed to land 29 Feb. Shipping was not expected till March.

Yep, that is what I understood too. Even if it landed by the expected date of 2/29, I seriously doubt it has cleared customs. They themselves are probably waiting on news. So again, what do you expect? Today is only March 3rd....

Can't speak for anyone else... but as I am a true millenial American...
tenor (2).gif

No lie the Icemaster Max4 is looking better and better.
There is a growing list of good options, especially in the mid-size range, the the Grainfather, Icemaster, and Blichmann. There is not a universal best choice for glycol chillers not almost any brewing equipment.

The cost of these is higher than even the full price Stasis after you consider the pumps and temperature controllers. But I don't consider the slightly lower price the most attractive feature of the Stasis. It's its physical size. It is quite a bit smaller and self-contained. I have a hard time imaging when I would need more than two lines and don't believe that cold crashing means 32F. The specs are unclear on the temperature of the glycol itself. They only state that the lowest set temperature is 36F, and that pertains to the beer, not the glycol.

I'm still hopeful that the Stasis will prove a sound choice, but Craft-A-Brew is doing its level best to aggravate buyers with the delays and tardy, infrequent updates. How about telling us the ship has arrived in port on schedule? That would be a first -- as scheduled, that is.

How about telling us the ship has arrived in port on schedule? That would be a first -- as scheduled, that is.

Well how about that? They did just post an update to Kickstarter!

"Hello, backers!

We just received word that the Stasis container has cleared customs in Tampa! We selected the earliest departure date available and the container will be arriving at our Orlando warehouse Monday morning (3/9)! Our team will be working diligently to offload this trailer and begin processing & shipping orders on Tuesday (3/10). Order processing and shipping will span the week, so you may not receive your tracking number ON Tuesday.
"

How about telling us the ship has arrived in port on schedule? That would be a first -- as scheduled, that is.

"Hello, backers!

We just received word that the Stasis container has cleared customs in Tampa! We selected the earliest departure date available and the container will be arriving at our Orlando warehouse Monday morning (3/9)! Our team will be working diligently to offload this trailer and begin processing & shipping orders on Tuesday (3/10). Order processing and shipping will span the week, so you may not receive your tracking number ON Tuesday.
"

"Hello, backers!

"

There is a growing list of good options, especially in the mid-size range, the the Grainfather, Icemaster, and Blichmann. There is not a universal best choice for glycol chillers not almost any brewing equipment.

The cost of these is higher than even the full price Stasis after you consider the pumps and temperature controllers. But I don't consider the slightly lower price the most attractive feature of the Stasis. It's its physical size. It is quite a bit smaller and self-contained. I have a hard time imaging when I would need more than two lines and don't believe that cold crashing means 32F. The specs are unclear on the temperature of the glycol itself. They only state that the lowest set temperature is 36F, and that pertains to the beer, not the glycol.

I'm still hopeful that the Stasis will prove a sound choice, but Craft-A-Brew is doing its level best to aggravate buyers with the delays and tardy, infrequent updates. How about telling us the ship has arrived in port on schedule? That would be a first -- as scheduled, that is.

Maybe i am misreading the ad copy, but on their website they state: "Lowest set temperature 36°F"
I assume this to mean the glycol set point is 36. If that is the case, then the beer will most likely only get to 40 or so- mostly good enough for most people.
I agree that the size (and maybe quiter noise?) Is the best benefit.

"Hello, backers!

"

That's good to hear. Hopefully, they will fulfill the orders by first in, first out based upon how the orders were received. This is the only fair thing to do since so many have been waiting so long (four months overdue).

Maybe they can restore their reputation by refunding $50 on each order or offer a $50 credit on each order toward future purchases on their online store since THEY missed the mark. Again, THEY controlled the hype, the narrative and when the order was actually placed. Plus, as many of you have witnessed, they have the extra cash since they raised the pricing multiple times.

It would be a class act to make that type and amount of refund or credit. A discount toward future purchases won't cut it and very well could have a negative result or impression since they really are not offering anything special. Most people are not enticed by simple discounts, but most people will use a $50 refund or credit.

Just something for them to consider.....

Latest posts

Back