The Stasis - A glycol system designed for homebrewers - Pre-Order now for $599

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not loud. No rattling at all. birzzz definitely rattling isn't normal. I would pop the cover... something probably just needs to be snugged up.The fan is making sound
but it's all fan noise. I don't think the compressor makes much sound at all. The fan sound is consistent not annoying. With that said, for me, it doesn't matter anyway as this unit now allowed me to move my fermentation to my back hobby room. I was keeping them in our rec room which has it's own heating/cooling. But it's also our home theater area. I don't want ANY sounds in there. The controls work fine. It's keeping both within a degree.

The best part.... once your fermentors are at temp the thing almost never runs.

I will wait for the support to contact me before opening up the unit. They sate that it will void warranty if you open it up without their consent.

I can tell you that my girlfriend finds my hobby quite annoying and noisy...

Just an little note about cool down time. Those of you who have used immersion chillers know they work much better if you agitate the wort. I move the chiller around to help the hot wort make contact with the chiller.

Now with these glycol coils, there is no agitation. You are relying on simple convection to cool the beer. Because of this, making big temp changes takes a long time, i don't care who's unit you are running. 5 gallons of liquid is a lot.

I have emailed the support for the excessive noise. I do not only hear a constant noise, but I hear a lot of rattling. Here I have uploaded a couple of videos so you can hear it for yourself:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UaKVY9FCASgkCc4y5

as for the level of noise, it is around 75db from 6 feet. When the unit is not running , it is between 35db-40db in the room.

Even if it's noisy, I don't think the rallting is normal. Does it do the same for you guys?

We'll let you know what support has to say.

Mine sounds exactly like yours with similar db readings. It's way too loud in my opinion.

The best part.... once your fermentors are at temp the thing almost never runs.

Not true for me. Mines currently cooling a 10 gallon batch and a 5 gallon batch. Both set to 64f.

The compressor kicks on roughly every five minutes.

Mine sounds exactly like yours with similar db readings. It's way too loud in my opinion.
I just don't understand how they qualify this device as quiet. At 75db, it's at the same level of a rock concert. I am really disappointed by that aspect. I don't think I will be able to keep the unit...

I just don't understand how they qualify this device as quiet. At 75db, it's at the same level of a rock concert. I am really disappointed by that aspect. I don't think I will be able to keep the unit...

Wierd. Must be something wrong. Mines not loud. I think you should be more careful what you post. Rock concerts average 120 db. You either don't know what you are talking about or..

Normal conversation is 60 db

Wierd. Must be something wrong. Mines not loud. I think you should be more careful what you post. Rock concerts average 120 db. You either don't know what you are talking about or..

Normal conversation is 60 db

Yes 60db is the level of a conversation,

Loud music=80 not 120db.

120DB is the threshold of pain. Maybe that explains why you are not finding it loud...

You said rock concert not loud music and mine is nowhere near loud by any means. You might want to just return yours. Get something else.

Anyhow, no matter what you compare 75db with, it is not absolutely not in the quiet range.

End of story

You said rock concert not loud music and mine is nowhere near loud by any means. You might want to just return yours. Get something else.
You make me sound like I am the only one who finds it loud. Actually you are the only person, so far, who doesn't seem to find it loud.

I think my point is valid, so please don't try to minimise that aspect. To recap, this gear is sold towards home brewers, not commercial brewers. It is fair to expect that it doesn't generate that level of noise. Especially when they advertise the unit as being "quiet"

@hootowl, I understand your perspective as seen in your previous posts below. Others have different, possibly lower, thresholds than yours.

20180313_182208-jpg.562576

img_20170610_084001_smaller-jpg.562581

@hootowl, I understand your perspective as seen in your previous posts below. Others have different, possibly lower, thresholds than yours.

Now that's funny. You realize that even high end systems... low level sounds excellent.
But no... I simply don't feel the unit is loud but the word is subjective.

Now that's funny. You realize that even high end systems... low level sounds excellent.
But no... I simply don't feel the unit is loud but the word is subjective.

75db is not quiet. This is not subjective.

15863844553822031852258622137917.jpg
I turned the temp down to get it to turn on... I concede.. yes its noisy. It's the fan. I wonder how quiet the competing units are. BTW you should here my kegerator. It's fan runs 24/7 and when the compressor kicks on its louder than the Stasis. They are all in a separate room.

Last edited:
They aren't accepting returns for Kickstarter purchases.

That said, if anyone wants one, shoot me a PM - I've got one available, cheap. ;)

Not accepting returns??!!?? Is that doable? Part of the term and conditions of kick starter?
That's new to me, and another reason for me to stay away from kickstarter and the like programs (i think they are dying anyways, because of things like this).

I have been watching this thread... i am a Brewie owner, but got one super cheap. I love my Brewie, but can understand why it failed. This project is starting to sound like it. I hope for all parties involved it is not!

I turned the temp down to get it to turn on... I concede.. yes its noisy. It's the fan. I wonder how quiet the competing units are.

Fwiw, i have a Penguin 1/3hp. I live in a small 2 bedroom 1 floor house. My penguin fits on a harbor freight cart under my fermentors. Very compact compared to other models i was looking at. (Albeit heavy- they all are!).
It is 20 feet or so away from our bedroom. Swmbo and I can both sleep thru it easily.
Sure it makes noise, but imagine it sounds like a window ac unit. Lots of people sleep thru that.
I am lagering right now. Conical set to 54. My penguin is set to 30 with a 25 degree differential. Ambiebt ~ 65 or so.
It cycles on probably once every 3 to 6 hours or so.
To get from 60 to 30 the penguin runs maybe 5-10 mins or less. It is a small resorvoir with an S-ton of btu's.

For crashing, it will cycle on a lot more often, but again the noise is very minimal. I think Penguin advertises one of the lowest db's of available units.

Ymmv, and there are a LOT of new options for glycol out there. Blichmann, ss, penguin, icemaster, stasis, and diy of course!

Not trying to hijack the thread at all!!

I went ahead and purchased an "upgrade" for my Stasis..

this:https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07KFZ1G6W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think most of the sound that travels outside of the room where the unit is, is through vibration. My floor is hardwood, so maybe the rubber feet are not enough. I will let you know once my order arrives.

Craft a Brew posted an update around the vibration on the kickstarter page. I'm pasting it here for transparency.

"We had a few units experience an oscillation or vibration which is the result of the plastic top plate vibrating against the metal casing. Generally this noise will stop if you put pressure on the upper back side of the metal casing. We have confirmed this is coming from the top plate and is nothing mechanical making that sound because if the top plate is removed the sound stops immediately. We have a few solutions being worked out by our engineers with different vibrating dampening materials now. If your unit is having this vibration/oscillation issue please email [email protected] and we will get you on a list to get the fix as soon as we are able."

I emailed support and they added me to the list for the fix. I tried applying pressure to the "upper back side" and found it did not help the vibration.

Craft a Brew posted an update around the vibration on the kickstarter page. I'm pasting it here for transparency.

"We had a few units experience an oscillation or vibration which is the result of the plastic top plate vibrating against the metal casing. Generally this noise will stop if you put pressure on the upper back side of the metal casing. We have confirmed this is coming from the top plate and is nothing mechanical making that sound because if the top plate is removed the sound stops immediately. We have a few solutions being worked out by our engineers with different vibrating dampening materials now. If your unit is having this vibration/oscillation issue please email [email protected] and we will get you on a list to get the fix as soon as we are able."

I emailed support and they added me to the list for the fix. I tried applying pressure to the "upper back side" and found it did not help the vibration.

Thanks for the heads up, this is appreciated. I tried to pressure on the back plate too, and like you, it didn't make any difference.

Craft a brew support contacted me, and I was able to have their consent to remove the cover without voiding the warranty. First, removing the top cover didn't help at all for noise reduction. I think I have pinpointed where the excess vibration noise comes from. If you pinch the copper piping going to the radiotor in the back of the unit it reduces the noise.

Here is a video showing it:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TQuP2wJ87FPAwHKo9

Craft a brew support contacted me, and I was able to have their consent to remove the cover without voiding the warranty. First, removing the top cover didn't help at all for noise reduction. I think I have pinpointed where the excess vibration noise comes from. If you pinch the copper piping going to the radiotor in the back of the unit it reduces the noise.

Here is a video showing it:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TQuP2wJ87FPAwHKo9

Well done sir

Anyone else having issues chilling below 40 F? I’m fermenting in a spike plus with the chiller coil and yes I switched the tubing for the recommended ~40 setup.

Anyone else having issues chilling below 40 F? I’m fermenting in a spike plus with the chiller coil and yes I switched the tubing for the recommended ~40 setup.

That's the lowest I was able to get too. I tested on both my SS brewtech regular chronical 7 gallon and 7 gallon unitank.

That's the lowest I was able to get too. I tested on both my SS brewtech regular chronical 7 gallon and 7 gallon unitank.
I think if the glycol is being chilled to 36 in the Stasis, you are not going to get much lower than 40.
When crashing in my Spike cf5, I set my glycol to 28 or so to get to 36 in the Spike.

Also- anecdotal here: @brewpharm Hill , but I stopped changing the "in" and "out" on my cooling coil and I think it is a little better for me. YMMV.

With known delta temps running ~6F-10F between the glycol temp and what chillers can be crashed to, I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised they could not crash below 40F since the Stasis glycol can only chill to 36F. After all, that information and warning was posted in this thread many times as well as in many other threads. Just saying.....

In my case with my Icemaster 100, my delta temp is ~10F.

With known delta temps running ~6F-10F between the glycol temp and what chillers can be crashed to, I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised they could not crash below 40F since the Stasis glycol can only chill to 36F. After all, that information and warning was posted in this thread many times as well as in many other threads. Just saying.....

In my case with my Icemaster 100, my delta temp is ~10F.
The glycol itself is supposedly maintained at 30f in the reservoir. The 36f limit is for the fermenter temperature. In practice though, I wasn't able to go lower than 40f ishh.

The glycol itself is supposedly maintained at 30f in the reservoir. The 36f limit is for the fermenter temperature. In practice though, I wasn't able to go lower than 40f ishh.

Sorry to hear you couldn't crash below "40f ishh".

My beer cold crashes after I keg it. I cut the pickup tubes about an inch shorter. The corny keg pickup tubes are designed to pick up almost every last drop. I don't want that. I notice after a couple of days the beer really cleans up. On the other hand my hazy I like hazy. Even add flour to make it hazier.
With that said, I will see how the Stasis brings my beer down before I keg it. I also notice there isn't a ton of residue in the bottom of the keg once it's empty. That final drop out doesn't amount to much. I drink the beer. I'm not competing. So far the Stasis is doing what I want. Like I said before... it barely turns on.

On a positive note though, I have both an ale and a lager fermenting right now. Temperature is well maintained on both fermenters. Only complain so far is the excessive noise, which should be addressed by craft a brew.

As for the cold crash not getting below 40f, I think I can live with that. And for lagering, I will lager in my keg in the fridge.

I managed to get my flex + down to 38 F. I dont have the neoprene insulation on it, but I think that it would probably help. I'm not upset with a 38F cold crash before kegging and throwing in my kegerator. Can you lager at at 36-40? I've read its best to have closer to 32.

Well I darn sure aren't going to tie up my fermenters for another month. The beer can sit in a keg in the fridge. I use my Spike fermenters mainly to ferment beer. 2 weeks and the beer goes in the keg. I bought the Stasis only to control fermentation for 2 weeks. Then into the keg and into the fridge. That simple.

Last edited:
Back