The Saison Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Drizella might have been different. At least in the past, I know people who talked with the brewers and confirmed that bottled Vautour, BA Vautour, and Vautour du Bois were essentially the same thing, with different bottles from the same batch sometimes being labeled different. Simultaneous tastings of those seem to back that up. That was also an awesome time period because no one cared about bottled Vautour and it was much easier to come by.

However, my understanding is that Nate is doing things differently and the latest batch of BA Vautour is actually different. After having it, that seems right as well. It was even more insanely-delicious than past batches, and seemed a bit fruitier and not quite as spicy and earthy. It also seemed to have a bit more body while still finishing very dry. I want all of that beer.

I think past threads on here and/or other forums have gone through this with people who have direct knowledge. I'll see what I can find.

baybum can probably clear some of this up, but I think he told me Drizella was supposed to be the second batch of Vautour du Bois, but things got a little too funky in the barrel and it ended up really cloudy/ugly.

But yea, Nate is doing some awesome, under the radar, things.
I need to track down some Hallowed Ground now...

Very nice. Would love to hear your thoughts on it after you open the bottle.
V8SCGqh.jpg

As I sit here slowly smoking my bowl I'll attempt to review this beer.
Lots of head, smells nice, and nice to look at. But enough about my girlfriend, the beer is pretty good too.
Smells fruity, very slight tartness along with some sweet. Dry-ish finish? IDK it's weird, it's like dry and then this last wave a sweet hits.
Some pepper-y-ness to it. I like it, it's a nice change from Jai Alai and an easy drinker.

I forget how broadly available Anchorage and Jolly Pumpkin are these days, but both versions of Calabaza Boreal are phenomenal -- uses actual grapefruit, which is a difference from Cellarman, but they should be relatively easy to track down and are world-class.

Totally agree on this. I preferred the Jolly Pumpkin version. Both were quite heavy on the grapefruit, though the Jolly Pumpkin had a nice underlying "Jolly Pumpkin character" while the Anchorage was a bit too phenolic in the finish for me.

988551_10105184936487530_1881031998301650796_n.jpg

Logsdon Seizoen. Leafy with a bit of backing fruit, mostly pear. Fairly bitter. Not nearly as fruit-forward as Bretta, and surprisingly malt-heavy compared to that as well. Not at sweet, but there's a decent amount of bread crust, though that's not terribly surprising given the color. Pretty spicy as it warms. Very dry. Heavy carbonation with a crisp finish.

Thrilled that this stuff is on the shelf in Chicago now, especially since the Illinois government sucks and has decided to send cease-and-desist letters to most of the places that ship here even though there hasn't been a change in the law. Now we just need to see some Crooked Stave distribution.

baybum

We traded for one after having that mind-blowing bottle of BA Vautour. Solid, but not in the same realm of awesome. I'm glad I traded for/purchased a bunch of Surette Reserva Dry Hopped. That is one of the best in this category.

I've been practically living off Dark bottle Dupont that my local grocery store has been getting. Extremely fruity. Hard to believe a beer that throws a head like that with such great color is all pils. Sadly Pittsburgh is Saison Purgatory, I'd probably have a heart attack if we got distro of Apex Predator or any other good saisons for that matter.

I forget how broadly available Anchorage and Jolly Pumpkin are these days, but both versions of Calabaza Boreal are phenomenal -- uses actual grapefruit, which is a difference from Cellarman, but they should be relatively easy to track down and are world-class.

Calabaza Boreal is my favorite beer right now. Can't get enough of that good ****.

baybum can probably clear some of this up, but I think he told me Drizella was supposed to be the second batch of Vautour du Bois, but things got a little too funky in the barrel and it ended up really cloudy/ugly.

But yea, Nate is doing some awesome, under the radar, things.

Nate is putting out some outstanding Saisons right now. My understanding from him at the Drizella release is that he was working on a new batch od BA Vautour and things just didn't come out how he wanted so he bottles it as Drizella(Cinderella's ugly step sister) That being said Drizella is great! Hallowed Ground is also outstanding, not quite Cezanne outstanding but I can tell you the 6L Nate gave us to take to DLD was a huge hit and people were blown away! The release on Tuesday was also very good, but as with all good things it comes with a cost; now the limits are 4 bottles per person and he sells out much faster. It used to be a case limit and it would last 1-3 days. Farnsworth let me know I'm sure we can trade again, Cheers!

Nate is putting out some outstanding Saisons right now. My understanding from him at the Drizella release is that he was working on a new batch od BA Vautour and things just didn't come out how he wanted so he bottles it as Drizella(Cinderella's ugly step sister) That being said Drizella is great! Hallowed Ground is also outstanding, not quite Cezanne outstanding but I can tell you the 6L Nate gave us to take to DLD was a huge hit and people were blown away! The release on Tuesday was also very good, but as with all good things it comes with a cost; now the limits are 4 bottles per person and he sells out much faster. It used to be a case limit and it would last 1-3 days.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm kinda surprised people haven't taken notice sooner.

Farnsworth let me know I'm sure we can trade again, Cheers!
Would love to, but still need to get you back for that pickupformebro!

I really liked Snowball Saison from To Ol.

Oddwood Ales in Austin makes an awesome saison, but they live in Jester King's shadow, I guess.

Well I forget to take a pic last night but I had that Dupont Foret, it was easily my favorite of the three. It had some funk going on, slight tartness, but lots of fruit character and very nice balance.

Unplanned saison-ish tasting last night.

Nordic Saison from Hill Farmstead (TRADEMARKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) was the standout and has long been my favorite saison turd of theirs. Right balance of ingredients and amount of funk I dig,

Transient was also a standout. This brewery is putting out great stuff, forgot the name but one of their Saisons in wine barrels.

5DhLsfP.jpg

Man, I couldn't tell you. It's definitely not brewery only; a friend of mine brought a bottle back from Austin a few months ago.

According to the following link, it actually is an Adelbert's side project with some pretty wide retail availability.
http://spirits.blog.austin360.com/2...ches-oddwood-ales-a-barrel-fermented-project/

Yeah, we get it occasionally up here in Dallas at places that sell Adelbert's.

I'm not entirely sure of the legal relationship between the two. It's my understanding from a very cursory research that Adelbert's owns the brand and all the licensing is through Adelbert's.

Transient was also a standout. This brewery is putting out great stuff, forgot the name but one of their Saisons in wine barrels.
Was it an Obelus? He did Chardonnay and Red Wine Barrel treatments. I liked them fresh but I thought they were on a whole 'nother level a few months ago. Wish I stocked up on them.
There's also one called Oaked Obelus: Galaxy which is brewed with Galaxy hops and aged in barrels that previously held his lambic inspired beer called Pentameter. This was outstanding fresh.

Unplanned saison-ish tasting last night.

Nordic Saison from Hill Farmstead (TRADEMARKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) was the standout and has long been my favorite saison turd of theirs. Right balance of ingredients and amount of funk I dig,

5DhLsfP.jpg

Transient is doing great stuff. Some of their mixed fermentation beers have been a bit too acidic for me, but the saisons have been spot on.

This thread makes me so happy.
#saisonsunday is a thing. Although thorpe says its #SaisonEveryDay

It is most definitely #saisoneveryday.

Was it an Obelus? He did Chardonnay and Red Wine Barrel treatments. I liked them fresh but I thought they were on a whole 'nother level a few months ago. Wish I stocked up on them.
There's also one called Oaked Obelus: Galaxy which is brewed with Galaxy hops and aged in barrels that previously held his lambic inspired beer called Pentameter. This was outstanding fresh.

Found a pic of the label, it was Sporadic #1 (Wine). Second bottle of their stuff a friend has opened, and really enjoyed them all.

Found a pic of the label, it was Sporadic #1 (Wine). Second bottle of their stuff a friend has opened, and really enjoyed them all.
I forgot those are labeled as saisons. Here's some more info on it from our member's email since he doesn't put it on the labels:
"Sporadic #1- Open Fermented/Barrel Aged Wild Saison- 7%abv Brewed January 2014. This is a saison using spelt, oat, wheat, vienna and munich malt. A little bit darker in color, almost orange, with a firm acid profile."
I recently opened that same bottle as well. Was good but slightly too acidic for me, like Thorpe429 said. If you like Squirt soda/pop, you should definitely look for a Sporadic #2 (Wine). I enjoyed this one much more.
"Sporadic #2- Open Fermented/Barrel Aged Wild Saison- 5%abv Brewed in March 2014. Light, spritzy sour saison utilizing a large portion of unmalted wheat, for a rustic graininess. Similar grainbill to a traditional Lambic, hopped with whole leaf cascade harvested locally in a friend's back yard."

One of you Chicago boys has to hook me up with some Transient. Thorpe429 Treebs kevanb Lognar lurchingbeast

Most of the Transient beers mentioned here are only from their membership program and not on shelf. I am oh so glad I took the risk (not having had any of their beers) and joined that program. I've loved all of the bottles so far.

Most of the Transient beers mentioned here are only from their membership program and not on shelf. I am oh so glad I took the risk (not having had any of their beers) and joined that program. I've loved all of the bottles so far.

I missed that one. Any talk of it opening up to others? Was the original membership publicized?

They are putting out great stuff.

I missed that one. Any talk of it opening up to others? Was the original membership publicized?

They are putting out great stuff.

It's pretty under the radar. Find the website and Email Chris and he will put you on a wait list. I know he's expanding membership some and some people might not renew, but it doesn't seem like it will be opened to another public sign up since it seems there's a wait list that might be larger than the number of spots being added. But I don't know for sure, ask him. I was on the wait list during the first membership period and got added for the second. The periods are only 3-6 months each instead of a full year (which is nice in some ways) so there is more than one per year, and one just ended.

I wonder if there is some bottle variation on this one. I thought it was interesting enough to struggle through a glass, but the acetic kept me from enjoying it or finishing the bottle.

Had the Citra saison version of Rondy Brew Sunday. Probably the best Anchorage I've had and I've liked them all.

I wonder if there is some bottle variation on this one. I thought it was interesting enough to struggle through a glass, but the acetic kept me from enjoying it or finishing the bottle.

Had the Citra saison version of Rondy Brew Sunday. Probably the best Anchorage I've had and I've liked them all.

My place on this earth is to use my sub standard palete to drink beer other mouthfeel gobshite mortals cannot.

So I had this guy over the weekend:

Absolutely beautiful. Saison Bernice is my favorite saison and Cellarman B3 is right up there with it, if not better. Also love Casey's.

For anyone that has had Flora, how does it compare? I was wondering if it's worth going for compared to Bernice and Cellarman.

Well I forget to take a pic last night but I had that Dupont Foret, it was easily my favorite of the three. It had some funk going on, slight tartness, but lots of fruit character and very nice balance.

Foret was one of the first beers I had that was yeast driven and really opened my eyes to the flavor possibilities in beer. I need to revisit it now 10+ years down the road and see how it compares to my memory of it.

Back