The Plinian Progeny...first BIG beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on brewing The Plinian Progeny kit tomorrow. Biggest I will have brewed so far. I'm using G40 and only change I made was trub loss due to the massive hops amount. I'm a bit worried about stuck mash, but plan on going 90 min and slow, slow, slow recirculation. I am debating on leaving out the "hopshot" since some of the reviews were negative on this. Even without, I think the dry hopping will still give plenty of flavor for me. Wish me luck...the G40 app is already throwing out numbers not in line with the recipe, i.e. IBU @113 compared to 150+. I need to check the AA on the package, if any. Should still be a good time at the end of the day!!

:rock::mug: :rock:

Be sure you're accounting for a drop in mash efficiency. It comes with the territory when bumping up significantly from your typical batch gravity. Your volume loss to grain absorption will stay the same on a /lb basis, but there will more lbs than your used to.

Thanks. I went back and dropped to 70% from 75%. Gave me much more IBUs. Thinking about trying 65% since that gives the same SG as the recipe. Maybe NB accounted for lower efficiency with this one.

The sheet is pretty dang close. SG 1.093 vs 1.090 and my strike volume is just a bit more with the G40. Good to have an extra way to compare the calculations!

I am debating on leaving out the "hopshot" since some of the reviews were negative on this. Even without, I think the dry hopping will still give plenty of flavor for me.
I believe dry hopping will only boost aroma and has no contribution to flavor. And I'm not sure I've seen a hopshot used for anything other than bitterness. Assuming the shot is a bittering addition, you may need to make up for the IBUs in place of it or elsewhere (if you bypass it), unless you're within an IBU range you're happy with, when you remove it from the recipe.

What were the negative experiences surrounding the hopshot? Did it have to do with sticking to the kettle, or something else? Someone recommended to me to premix the shot on brew day and it made everything easier. Now, I typically dissolve the shot in very high alcohol spirit like Everclear so I can avoid the substance sticking to my equipment. In terms of amount, it's usually just enough to dissolve it. So it takes a bit of: add some, stir, add some more, stir, etc.

Personally, I love using them for bittering high IBU beers because it reduces the vegetative matter that I get from the alternative.

Some say the hotshot was too bitter. Funny though there are no more reviews posted when I looked last. I did give a smell test and I wasn't really excited. So the brew is going as planned...about to start the boil:bigmug:

Some say the hotshot was too bitter. Funny though there are no more reviews posted when I looked last. I did give a smell test and I wasn't really excited. So the brew is going as planned...about to start the boil:bigmug:
I've got it on tap right now and I certainly enjoy it. I did the extract version before and enjoyed it enough to buy the kit again. This time, my upgraded system had enough capacity for the full grain bill and I did the all-grain version. Good luck!

I've got it on tap right now and I certainly enjoy it. I did the extract version before and enjoyed it enough to buy the kit again. This time, my upgraded system had enough capacity for the full grain bill and I did the all-grain version. Good luck!
Thanks! All things said the day went well. I made a bad decision on the hop stand. I was trying to keep trub to a minimum so I used by dry hopper. The thing was super full and as I was cleaning it I realized the amount of hops that barely go wet was a good amount. Hope it doesn't affect it that much. I have never had the drink so I wouldn't know the difference. Lesson learned.

I am probably just being impatient, however I figured I would ask.

I pitched 2 packs of S-05 and gravity readings show it going down steady. Last night I was at 1.076 and today (13hrs later) I am reading 1.075. I usually see faster movement during the first few days, so I am already worried this might stall out soon. Should I be?

OG was 1.094 so 19 points so far or about 1 point every 3-4 hrs now only 1 point in 13 hrs(?).

I am pressure fermenting and the gauge was around 13psi. I did lower it to 12psi just in case. Not much bubbly going on, but I noticed this is common for pressure fermentation.

Latest posts

Back