Wet run on the G40

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
So got around to doing a test drive on the GF G40. We run of course since water was used! I was super excited to realize someone had used an air compressor in the garage and there was an outlet already installed!

My testing was pretty elementary as I am still collecting parts to get a brew going.

Started out trying to connect the controller, but apparently it uses Wi-Fi from the router and not from the phone app. A bit of a disappointment since I was unable to use the app without being able to get the controller MAC addy to add to my router security....

Needless to say the rest was pretty basic. Add what showed on the volume tube 7.5 gal and began to heat to 162F. The water level ended up going to 8.5 gal. I'll need to do actual measurements of course, I just wanted to make sure I understood the operation.

Took about 40 min to heat up. Once the temp read 158 the power dropped to 28-34% and stayed fluctuating for a about 10-15 min before finally reaching the strike temp.

Then started to ramp up to 212F for boil. Started off pretty good, but again once it got close the temp was slow to reach final target. Once it did, though the heating element stayed at 100% for the entire 60min boil time. Is this normal? Temp never showed more that 212F and the boil stayed a nice rolling one.

After 60 min the volume showed 6.75 gal. So boiloff ~1.75gal/hr. Seems reasonable.

Started using the counterflow that came with it. I had the smart idea to recirculate the cooled water back into the kettle. Not needed, water was cool to the touch. I have heard good/bad about the chiller, but from my sink experience, using this now is going to be great!

Obviously clean up was simple. Overall I really liked how simple this was. Even coming from stovetop extracts. I think me is going to likey likey!

7.5gal to 8.5gal seems like a large expansion, what temp was the water to start.

Guessing the 6.75gal was still close to boiling. Might be better to go from volumes at room temp instead of the boiling temp volumes.

Also might want to double check the volume marks with known quantities of water.

7.5gal to 8.5gal seems like a large expansion, what temp was the water to start.

Guessing the 6.75gal was still close to boiling. Might be better to go from volumes at room temp instead of the boiling temp volumes.

Also might want to double check the volume marks with known quantities of water.
I used water from the garden hose. The controller showed 59F to start. I had started to use a 2gal pot to measure but I was a bit excited and just filled from the hose.
Yes, the 6.75 was after the full 60 min, no waiting.

I'll do another run next week.

Back