The no airlock fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evandam

Reaction score
OK, brewed my fair share and im my experience I have always had airlock activity for 4 -5 days. I always give mine 2 weeks in primary but i have a concern with this one.

The WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast came frozen due to the temps here in freaking Alabama. So I made a starter and I for sure got some activity from it. It was weird. Little steams of yeast/trub coming up like a lava lamp. So I make my dry stout

10 Pale
3 Flaked Barley
1.5 Roasted Barley
0.5 Chocolate

Well after 2 days 48 hours or so. The 3 piece airlock is dead, not sitting up and not bubbling, nothing. At 72 hours I took a gravity reading and im down to 1020 from 1041, so for a dry stout that aint gonna cut it.

Now I know relax and give it a few days, but I have never understood the fermentation without CO2. Can anyone explain that? I will give it another 48 and if it is still at 1020 I'm going to pitch some S-04 in just to be safe.

airlock activity is not a reliable sign of of fermentation. You definatly have fermentation, you've dropped over 20 points in 2 days. Your alright.

Cheers

What I figured, but after 12 -15 batches I have never had one stopped this quick. Still gonna check it one more time in 48 hours, just in case, but if it has dropped at least .005 in that 48 I will leave it alone for my normal 2 weeks.

I still would love to understand the science of the no airlock fermentation, assuming you have a good seal on the carboy or bucket. Maybe it is just when it has slowed it is easier for the CO2 to find the path of least resistance out.

Back