The mystery of Galaxy hops and harshness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to say the 2019 batch seems great. Did split batch 50/50 with citra and tasting good 2 days post dryhopping.

I had a commercial beer over the weekend from a very very popular VA brewery that usually cranks out great stuff. This one totally sucked and was astringent as hell. It had galaxy hops. Not knowing their exact process or any of their numbers I can't say for certain it was the hops but very well may have been.

Yeah that’s classic Galaxy polyphenol astringency. You have to treat them differently.

I've had the best luck with Galaxy doing the following:

Never dry hopping with it during active fermentation
Dry hopping colder (57/58)
Cold Conditioning the beer for longer at lower temps
Use a little less, a little goes a long ways with Galaxy

Awesome candied passionfruit character using these methods.

In fact about to add some Galaxy to a couple beers right now.
When you say use a little less, how much are you talking? I’m currently soft crashing a beer down to 58 where I’ll let it sit for about 24 hours. I’m then going to dry hop with some 2019 galaxy, and a small amount of Columbus. This beer was loosely based around the trillium congress street recipe. JC said in another forum that they use the equivalent of 6 ounces galaxy and 1.5 ounces Columbus for the dry hop in the standard congress street recipe. No idea how much they use for the ddh version. I Used all Columbus in the boil, 2 oz galaxy in a 170 whirlpool, and added zero hops during fermentation.

I can, and am doing all of the above suggestions. Just curious as to how many ounces you’d suggest.

14 pounds 2-row
2 pounds white wheat
10 ounces Carapils
6 ounces c-15
6 ounces acidulated

ABV is right around 8

Last edited:
It's not just homebrewers having issues because I've been getting harshness in a decent amount of commercial beers lately I've tried with galaxy, even from well regarded breweries. I had Astro Zombie recently from Aslin and it definitely had some astringency on the finish. I didn't find it very pleasant to drink. But my buddy who is from Cali and is more into west coast style IPAs actually liked it and thought it was one of the better Aslin beers he had(we both tried several together). So I think a lot of times people can't even tell the difference between astringency and bitterness and some people don't even mind the astringency if they're not into the soft juice bombs.

I was at Triple Crossing in Richmond right after Thanksgiving which is one of my favorite breweries in the world and got the same thing off one galaxy hopped beer, wasn't very good. Bummed me out. I had a Commonwealth pale ale with galaxy that was a straight up drain pour awhile back, and I never drain pour beers. People not on the east coast may not know these places but they are major heavy hitters in Virginia.

Reviving an old thread.

I just had a beer from a well known brewery that had Galaxy and it was very peppery, astringent and harsh. I used to love Galaxy. I’m wondering if it has changed over the years or if breweries are adding too much.

I have brewed with it in the past and enjoyed it but my last few brews with it I did not enjoy.

It's fairly common as a hop become super-popular that the quality takes a bit of a dip as new farmers get to grips with farming it - getting used to when the best time to harvest, just physically managing manpower to crop at the right time and so on. There was a lot of oniony Citra in the early teens. Plus Australia hasn't had the easiest time of it lately with the bushfires at the height of the growing season, and then Covid interrupting things after harvest.

Beer is agriculture, it's human beings doing their best to tame nature. It's not like building an iPhone.

I read one way to blow off some of the unfavorable characteristics from a "bad" batch of galaxy would be to dry hop during fermentation.
Anyone experimented with this?
I resorted to using it sparingly as a dry hop with good results. All my single hop attempts where nightmares

Just kegged a Galaxy pale ale. 8 ounces total. 4.5 oz in two dry hop charges, 3 oz in whirlpool. Sample was definitely "hot" as most highly hopped beers are at first. I find that two weeks in the keg, and pouring off (or drinking) 4-5 pints to get rid of hop particles that make it into the keg can help reduce the harshness. Used 2019 harvest. Owner of a local brewery told me that the 2018 Galaxy hops were not very good, that they stopped making one of their best beers because they did not want to use that year's Galaxy. I have a special love with Galaxy though, as I used it in a Amber ale (along with Amarillo) a few years ago that took Best in Show at another local brewery's comp which allowed me to brew it professional and have it sold in stores. The passionfruit really came through in the commercial version.

I love galaxy though I only ever use it as a dry hop, and not a lot, I might use 30g for a standard blonde ale. You can definitely taste it !. I do use wlp029, which really lets hops come through nicely.

My tonge has the Galaxy curse. I can taste the woody polyphenols at very low ppm. Whereas the exact same beer other people taste it as tropical juice, crazy. Fortunately eating salt blocks my taste buds and at least the beer can be finished.

Not every Galaxy beer can cause it though, so perhaps there is a way to use them in a way that can keep the polyphenols at undetectable levels or block them with other brewing salts but I haven't learned it yet.

In light of the recent discussion in the great neipa thread here I thought ir would be a nice idea to start sharing experiences with Galaxy hops and hop lot nrs.

I think harvest time probably has the most influence on fruityness of a hop, as mentioned in a recent barth haas webinar about hops.

My latest bag I just opened smelled exceptionally well. Its was 2019 harvest with 15.9%AA and lot nr VU046.

In light of the recent discussion in the great neipa thread here I thought ir would be a nice idea to start sharing experiences with Galaxy hops and hop lot nrs.

I think harvest time probably has the most influence on fruityness of a hop, as mentioned in a recent barth haas webinar about hops.

My latest bag I just opened smelled exceptionally well. Its was 2019 harvest with 15.9%AA and lot nr VU046.

All hops from Australia get blended. For everyone even the biggest breweries. It’s roulette for just about everyone.

That being said I tend to have better results with older Australian hops. The super fresh stuff is always insanely harsh to me. I think they actually benefit from aging. Just a thought but so far it’s been my experience lately with Enigma and Galaxy.

Last edited:
All hops from Australia get blended. You could have Galaxy that’s A++ and they still blend it with stuff that’s an F. For everyone even the biggest breweries. It’s roulette for just about everyone.

That being said I tend to have better results with older Australian hops. The super fresh stuff is always insanely harsh to me. I think they actually benefit from aging. Just a thought but so far it’s been my experience lately with Enigma and Galaxy.
Possible yes, my bag was 2019 after all. Have you had any 2020 that was bad?
Still would be nice to track lot nrs as well just to see if there is a pattern. Please share if you do, we will get year nrs as well.

Possible yes, my bag was 2019 after all. Have you had any 2020 that was bad?
Still would be nice to track lot nrs as well just to see if there is a pattern. Please share if you do, we will get year nrs as well.

I’ll often order Australian hops directly from Australia as they’ll be available there three months before they arrive in the US. This year I bought a bunch of Galaxy and HPA-016. They were both incredibly “rough” and astringent. Really strong Anise like flavor profile. Have since used some much older Enigma and Galaxy (2019) with much greater success. Almost zero of that rough astringent character. Granted they are different lots of hops.

I saved the rest of those 2020 Hops I ordered from Australia to see what they’re like a year later. one of the bags I purposely didn’t seal to see if some oxidation might actually benefit them???

I have some 2019 enigma I’ve been sitting on for a while. Just haven’t gotten around to using it yet but I think I’m going to do something with it soon. I’ve seen a lot of differing opinions on it but perhaps it’s because they’re similar to galaxy in the way that it’s a crap shoot in terms of what you actually get.

I’ll often order Australian hops directly from Australia as they’ll be available there three months before they arrive in the US. This year I bought a bunch of Galaxy and HPA-016. They were both incredibly “rough” and astringent. Really strong Anise like flavor profile. Have since used some much older Enigma and Galaxy (2019) with much greater success. Almost zero of that rough astringent character. Granted they are different lots of hops.

I saved the rest of those 2020 Hops I ordered from Australia to see what they’re like a year later. one of the bags I purposely didn’t seal to see if some oxidation might actually benefit them???

ive had oxygen fix some real oniony Columbus, so I think it’s worth trying

it didn’t take much though.I left the bag open during my brew day but then I put the Mylar bag in a foodsver bag and vacuum seal the whole assembly. My goal being to leverage the Mylars low oxygen permeability without having a sealer that gets hot enough.

next brew day with Columbus was a couple months later and they were beautiful

I have some 2019 enigma I’ve been sitting on for a while. Just haven’t gotten around to using it yet but I think I’m going to do something with it soon. I’ve seen a lot of differing opinions on it but perhaps it’s because they’re similar to galaxy in the way that it’s a crap shoot in terms of what you actually get.

The 2019 Enigma I got from YVH recently is awesome. I ordered more after using the firs lb and they sent me 2020 instead of 2019. I reached out and said I wanted 2019 and they sent me 2 more lbs of it without asking for the 2020 back.

The 2019 Enigma I got from YVH recently is awesome. I ordered more after using the firs lb and they sent me 2020 instead of 2019. I reached out and said I wanted 2019 and they sent me 2 more lbs of it without asking for the 2020 back.
Wow. That’s pretty generous of them. The 2019 I have is also from YVH so this makes me even more excited. Thanks for the heads up.

I have some 2020 Enigma and was thinking the same thing. Trying to think of a good hop combo, I like galaxy, I was also thinking maybe solo on the cold side with a touch of Columbus on the hot side. Good luck and let me know how it turns!

I finally got some Galaxy to try and now I am ready all this... I got 2020 YVH with AA 15.6. Anyone know what this batch is like?

Made a multi hop DIPA with Enigma added late boil and dryhopped and liked it a lot.

All hops from Australia get blended. You could have Galaxy that’s A++ and they still blend it with stuff that’s an F. For everyone even the biggest breweries. It’s roulette for just about everyone.

There aren’t many, but there are breweries that have Galaxy hop contracts and get to do lot selection in Tazmania every year which is where Galaxy is grown. Treehouse is one of them.

IMO, Treehouse is a poster boy for how to get bad, astringent Galaxy flavor in beer. That aside, as mentioned, aging Galaxy hops can be beneficial, as the oxidation of sulfur compounds in the hops can lend to a fruiter and softer hop flavor. More passionfruit, less dank-pine.

Hey guys, I've been reading this thread and have just joined as a member to discuss

I'm actually brewing a single hop galaxy pale ale as we speak and it has that all too familiar spoiled taste and aroma again.. I've probably brewed about six batches of single hop galaxy ale in the past and tipped them all thinking they were all infections. Even with extended conditioning would never get any better

I can agree with every point the original poster has experienced and then some. I get "extremely grassy" "hefeweizen" "celery" "infected" "bad yeast" "tiniest bit tropical aroma trying to shine through" "vegetal"

This particular hop batch is a slightly lower AA than the batches I previously remember using, so I'm assuming is still from the same grower due to the bad taste and aromas

The one commercial galaxy single hop beer I've tried (Holgate) was intriguing and very different. But in a pleasant way. Tropical flavours came through without the murky grassy flavours. Nice, clean pale ale

This will unfortunately be the last time I use galaxy, which is a real shame because I'd love to make something great but it's just not happening for me

Back