The most Irish beer ever?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillyB

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My friend has a birthday coming up in a few months and he is pretty Irish. I am looking to make the most Irish beer ever for his birthday. I was thinking about doing some sort of Irish Red Ale and adding in some flavorings that might make it a little more Irish. I'm doing a 5 gallon batch using extract, so please let me know if you have any recipes or any flavor additions I should use for creating this beer. Thank you all!:tank:

I'd prefer something that would most likely taste good

Something that would exemplify my image of ireland. I was thinking of adding cloves to a red ale. Also, would adding cloves to a red ale be a horrible, horrible idea?

Alright, I guess it is my turn to be THAT guy. What about a guiness clone?

When I think of Irish beers, that's still what think of (although I think they drink more crappy pale lagers than anything else these days). Whatever you do, NO GREEN FOOD DYE!

Oh, and the whole corned beef/cabbage thing is Irish-American, not Irish.

Irish dry stout. Got one going now. Try this:

6 lbs LME
1 lb roasted barley
2 lb flaked barley
2 oz east kent goldings @ 60 mins.
safale US-05 yeast

It's a really simple beer that finishes quickly and is best enjoyed young. I personally hate other Irish and Scotch ales, too sweet for me, but this isn't sweet at all.

I wouldn't mess around trying to "Irish" up the beer you brew, Irish reds are distinct enough. We aren't talking Killian's (red colored lager) here.

the_bird said:
When I think of Irish beers, that's still what think of (although I think they drink more crappy pale lagers than anything else these days). Whatever you do, NO GREEN FOOD DYE!

Oh, and the whole corned beef/cabbage thing is Irish-American, not Irish.

That'd true. Won't find corned beef anywhere in Ireland. Stew however is a different story. What about a stout cider blend?

The best stout I had in Ireland was the Oyster Stout from the Porter House. Few other breweries there do an Oyster stout which is far as I can tell is an authentic Irish style.

If going for authentic Irish flavor, you need to add in a dash of English oppression and subsequent guerrilla rebellion

The best stout I had in Ireland was the Oyster Stout from the Porter House. Few other breweries there do an Oyster stout which is far as I can tell is an authentic Irish style.

I spent a couple of days in Dublin last month and consumed quite a few of the Porterhouse Oyster Stouts.... yum

Another beer I liked was Kilkenny. Smooth and Creamy..

While I was backpacking around Ireland I found a real treat of a beer called Galway Hooker. It was a fantastic IPA, though by the time I had that all I had been able to drink was Guiness, clones of Guiness (or vice-versa if you want to get into semantics), Kilkenny and clones of kilkenny and finally Bulmer's cider.

Back