The more I Home Brew the more I ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpitz31

Wild Yeast Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like to purchase a lot of different styles of beer to see what other commercial and craft brewers are doing. The more beer I sample the more I like the taste of my own home brew. Not that I am a master brewer. I think it comes down to being able to customize my recipes to my own liking.

Just wondering if others have had similar realizations?

I do like several commercial and craft beers, but for the most part I find most beers lack flavors, have an imbalance of hops and malty flavors that make the beer enjoyable. It is almost like the balance of ingredients is off. I understand that when brewing for the masses you have to keep things common for the masses. But for the most part I find commercial beers lacking.

Just my two cents.

I just started brewing myself, but I can sympathize with this. A big problem for me of what’s available on the shelves is that the Brewers seem to all be competing for most hops in a single brew because that seems to sell well. I like a good IPA but I like a balanced flavor as well. i think home brewing gives the opportunity for both experimentation and targeting your preferred flavors (just like home cooking vs restaurants).

I do drink more homebrew than I do commercial beer. One of the problems I have is access to a good variety of beer in my area. There is only a couple places in town that sell any craft beer. One is a supermarket and and when I was there the other day all most of the craft beer was gone and replaced with seltzer and other fizzy water drinks that I don't have any interest in. The other place is limited also and not much to choose from. Without making a drive there isn't much to choose from.

Brewing my own beer gets me what I want and is usually good beer and I'm not even all that good of a brewer. There is something about drinking a beer you've made with your own two hands. There are plenty of commercial beers I want to try if I can ever get my hands on them.

Back