The "I'd nevervdrink that if it were ALL that was available" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Never had a German Porter. Did not know there was such a beer. Never drink to get drunk, your body will thank you.

Yes I've gone past that phase of my life of drinking to get drunk.
I drinks what tastes good to me and a side effect is sometimes getting drunk ;)

I added a few examples of German porters to my post above.
Here's another one; I wouldn't call it English style like they do.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/12511/38396/Stortebecker brew some good beers but this by far IMO their worst offering.

Here's a good article about German Porter history.

German Porter: Part One | BeerAdvocate
German Porter: Part Two | BeerAdvocate

Oskar Blues "Death by Coconut" Porter. Tastes like a badly made porter mixed with Banana Boat Sunscreen. Easily the worst beer I have ever tasted in 30 years of drinking. Oddly enough made by a brewery that makes stellar beers

Yes I've gone past that phase of my life of drinking to get drunk.
I drinks what tastes good to me and a side effect is sometimes getting drunk ;)

I added a few examples of German porters to my post above.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/12511/38396/Stortebecker brew some good beers but this by far IMO their worst offering.

Here's a good article about German Porter history.

German Porter: Part One | BeerAdvocate
German Porter: Part Two | BeerAdvocate

Thanks for the info. I spent a lot of time in Germany, mainly in Frankfurt, Mainz and Munich. Never saw a porter there, either in the stores or the bars I went to. Maybe I did not look hard enough!

Oskar Blues "Death by Coconut" Porter. Tastes like a badly made porter mixed with Banana Boat Sunscreen. Easily the worst beer I have ever tasted in 30 years of drinking. Oddly enough made by a brewery that makes stellar beers

I'm against the grain here and the brewery is just down the road from me but I find most of their offerings revolting. I haven't tried them all so I'm sure there is something they make that I might find drinkable.

I'm against the grain here and the brewery is just down the road from me but I find most of their offerings revolting. I haven't tried them all so I'm sure there is something they make that I might find drinkable.

We visited the brewery, back around 2007. It was in what looked like an open air garage, and fly infested. We watched the canning operation as we were amazed at the number of flies that were there. They gave us a can of Scotch Ale as a sample. Not a fan.

Not going to lie, but that one hurts. (As I am drinking a Flying Dog 'DogtoberFest')

I brought back a rather good sampling of export Festbiers recently: Ayinger Fest Marzen; Paulaner Fest, Helles and Pils; Weihenstephaner Fest. Unfortunately they are "evaporating" much too quickly. More disappointingly, up until the moment I began reintroducing my palate to these fine beers, I had the audacity to believe that I was on the cusp of brewing these beers to the same levels of excellency. Boy, was I wrong!.

I brought back a rather good sampling of export Festbiers recently: Ayinger Fest Marzen; Paulaner Fest, Helles and Pils; Weihenstephaner Fest. Unfortunately they are "evaporating" much too quickly. More disappointingly, up until the moment I began reintroducing my palate to these fine beers, I had the audacity to believe that I was on the cusp of brewing these beers to the same levels of excellency. Boy, was I wrong!.

Man I wish I liked those type of beers.
I have them all in the local liquor store for under a buck a 500ml bottle but I'm just not into the German lager type beer.
Very drinkable and no way I would put them in the category of this thread title but wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice.

Man I wish I liked those type of beers.
I have them all in the local liquor store for under a buck a 500ml bottle but I'm just not into the German lager type beer.
Very drinkable and no way I would put them in the category of this thread title but wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice.

German lagers are pretty much the only beer we brew, the only beer we buy, and the only beer we drink.

Labatt blue, i tried it twice and couldn't finish the bottle either time.

damn i posted early on, and forgot about this....it's up to #138 beers/posts? lol

i'll add i had a window cleaner batch when i added to many campbten(SP?) tablets to it....

and if anyone ever heard of it a $3.99 twelver of something called "Cedar Creek"....

Anything a local brewery makes. Core brewing. They opened up about 6 locations by 2019, but closed early 2020 all but original location as they just couldn't brew to style. Any lager, 75 ibus, porter or stout, 150ibu. IPA, must have been in the 60s or more. I like hops, but not twice to 3 times correct value for a style. Many were just undrinkable. And I just avoid the few the can and sell. I'll drink Bud before their stuff. And I don't drink Bud

Anything Bud and not because it’s Budweiser because I get crazy wicked headaches the day after drinking it, after the 3rd time “trying” to drink bud I realized I just can’t drink it.

Anything made by Buttweiser....

Anheuser-Busch actually had a few beers that were quite good, maybe 2 years ago. Their Discovery Reserve Red Lager was very drinkable.
Budweiser can brew very good beers, if they want to. Most of the time, they don't.

Anything Bud and not because it’s Budweiser because I get crazy wicked headaches the day after drinking it, after the 3rd time “trying” to drink bud I realized I just can’t drink it.
My pops had that same issue with Bud also even just drinking one.
And so do I. I've toured both the Tampa and St Louis Breweries of AHB and have to admit , at the tasting rooms their products were great. And next day, headache from hell.
There was another thread discussing this recently and the consensus seemed to possibly be the adjuncts (corn or rice) the big macro breweries use.

Not a fan of Bud either but I have to admit it's some feat to produce such large quantity of beer that consistently tastes the same. (crap) :D

Not going to argue with your observation, but we must give them credit. They sell more beer than any other brewery. I guess by sheer numbers that means they have a decent product.

Yes, being able to repeat the same beer, day in and day out, for years and years, is not easy.

When we toured Coors in Golden, we saw the room where all of the men in white lab coats were working, looking into their microscopes...

Yes indeed. We (beer makers) react more to the American mass market tastes for BMC than we do the ability of American businesses to manufacture a product that Americans buy in large quantity.

Last edited:
Anheuser-Busch actually had a few beers that were quite good, maybe 2 years ago. Their Discovery Reserve Red Lager was very drinkable.
Budweiser can brew very good beers, if they want to. Most of the time, they don't.

Budweiser brews great beers, if that’s what you like, I mean taste is subjective right? Some people love saison’s but to me they taste like someone threw up in some Budweiser and
I just can’t drink them. Big beer brew beer for
the masses and the masses enjoy tasteless yellow beer. Yuengling lager is another beer I don’t like, now their Premium I could drink for the rest of my life.

I had a bottle of experimental, "one off" beers brewed by Anheuser-Busch. Very good!
We sampled their specialty brewed beers at the GABF, again, these were very good beers. Not for the mass market.

I've always thought Budweiser is very underrated. I mean, it's not the best beer ever made. And it's not real hoppy. But it isn't supposed to be.

For what it is and what it's supposed to be, it's a good beer.
craft beer drinkers, homebrewers especially love to hate the big boys.

A-B is rated very high among the 'general public', therefore very low by the 'cool kids'.

I dislike them as a company, but they brew what people want and do it well. vote with your dollars and things you like will generally be available.

craft beer drinkers, homebrewers especially love to hate the big boys.
Not to argue, but I don't think beer people hate beer people. I DO THINK that light American lagers made with corn, rice and little hops just get tiring to beer people. Folks actually like porters, ales and stouts.
I love AB. They provide a comfortable living for my nephew and his family. They appear to treat employees well and they certainly manufacture a product many people will buy. I will buy 20 or so other beers before I buy a Bud or a Busch. It has ever been thus. But there is no hate.

Not to argue, but I don't think beer people hate beer people. I DO THINK that light American lagers made with corn, rice and little hops just get tiring to beer people. Folks actually like porters, ales and stouts.
I love AB. They provide a comfortable living for my nephew and his family. They appear to treat employees well and they certainly manufacture a product many people will buy. I will buy 20 or so other beers before I buy a Bud or a Busch. It has ever been thus. But there is no hate.

In my small circle of beer drinking friends, no one hates the Big Boys. In fact, we have utmost respect for them and what they are able to do. We do not purchase the beer they brew...well maybe an occasional Coors Original, or a Killian's, but that is very rare.

It would be appreciated if all of them would return to their genuine pre-pro recipes.

If everyone's taste buds were the same we would only have one brand.. I am very proud that we have such a vast array world wide to choose from. Back in the 60s I thought Country Club Malt liquor was the greatest. Of course I was only a teenager but on occasion I was allowed to have one of the little 6 Oz offerings. Wasn't much of a beer lover until I went to the Old Style Oktoberfest in LaCrosse WI in the early 70s. The taste and feel of that fresh cold delicious brew changed my life forever. I've toured AB and Miller breweries and their beers are great fresh at the brewery. Additionally in the 70s living in the suburbs of Chicago we would go to a truck stop where truckers would bring Coors by the pallet and bootleg it. We were paying $5 for a 6 pk and they would sell out quickly. My point is the big breweries are professional at making good beer. As we experience different offerings we find beers that we like better than others. As a long time brewer and BJCP Judge I've tasted most every kind of beer on the planet. Regardless how well some beers are made, there are those that I simply don't care for. Does not mean they aren't good beers. Personal taste is what this homebrew thing is all about. So brew it and if you don't like it, brew something else. I offer this warning to you Newbys to this hobby. It's not a hobby it's a rabbit hole of no return. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars doing this and apparently it doesn't stop. As I am in the planning stages of building my forever home, a brewery/tap room is my biggest concern. For my retirement I plan on doing nothing more the making beer and fishing.

Modern German style porter.
Older versions were apparently good but they have developed into an under attenuated cloying sweet mess.
Also low alcohol content so you need to drink a lot to get drunk.
So not even worth drinking.

Here's an example

Lausitzer Porter | Bergquell Brauerei Löbau | BeerAdvocate

There's even a version with Cherry flavor which seems to rate better but I wouldn't even be tempted to try it 🤢

Kirsch Porter | Bergquell Brauerei Löbau | BeerAdvocate

Oh yeah, that's a truly awful beer. I try not to dump beer (or any other type of food or drink), but the only use I could fathom for that beer is using it to stick labels onto beer bottles.

Yes, bad bad bad. They make some really good beers (e.g. 'Atlantik Ale' and 'Roggenweizen') and I think all their other beers are at least solid, but that one is a clear dumper. I think you can tell why just from the description on their website: "Stammwürze 12,5% und Alk. 4% vol" (OG of 1.050 and only 4%abv, for an apparent attenuation below 60%).

Thanks for the info. I spent a lot of time in Germany, mainly in Frankfurt, Mainz and Munich. Never saw a porter there, either in the stores or the bars I went to. Maybe I did not look hard enough!

It's not actually a common thing. Apart from offerings by emerging craft breweries, I think the "Lausitzer Porter" is the only one I've ever seen in a store.

Back