The "I'd nevervdrink that if it were ALL that was available" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, just curious l, what are some beers that are so bad you would rather drink water than drink that beer?
I'll start with Schlitz. As a teenager we'd rather drink Mad Dog 20/20 than Schlitz. We used to call it a different name made by removing the L from the name, and fir good reason as that's what you got when you drank that stuff. Another non-favorite is Milwaukee Beast, I mean Best.

@Falstaff Only tried it (Blue Moon) once. To me it wasn't that remarkable, just no real flavor

Yeah. I think they use too much orange, if it isn't just citric acid. They lose points for being owned by Coors, as a lot of people think it's craft because they seem to hide it a little. Also I love Belgian beers and it's just a mockery of the style, wit.

I'm saddened Schlitz is so bad because I've always wanted to try it. PBR, I think it was, brought it back.

Blue Moon. Tastes like vomit.
Only tried it (Blue Moon) once. To me it wasn't that remarkable, just no real flavor

Another one for Blue Moon on top of the list... of the worst beer.

The last time we had it was at an Outback quite a few years ago. We were using a gift card that was 2 years old already. My wife ordered Blue Moon, I had water instead. The steaks were good, no complaining there. However, the Blue Moon was roundout terrible, old and oxidized.
Come to think of it, we should have used that card earlier... the beer would have been fresher then.

But... I remember drinking Blue Moon 12-15 years ago, when they ran their TV ad campaign, the one where the artist paints with all the ingredients, that "melted" into a glass of Blue Moon with a big head. It must have been way better then, no?

removing the L from the name

i usually just remove the water from beer i don't like....then strangley add water back to it with better flavorings. :mug:

Another non-favorite is Milwaukee Beast, I mean Best.

hey now, before it was the same price as High Life, i liked milwaukee's....always gave me a sense of pride about my homebrew, if that's their best! (and it's not that bad)

I haven’t had a Blue Moon in years. There’s a much better Wit brewed here in MT (Harvest Moon’s Beltian White, brewed in Belt, MT).

The one beer that I can definitely remember not being able to finish was Shock Top End Of The World Midnight Wheat. Absolutely undrinkable.

I decided to not drink just to drink several times when there was just BMC or a wait staff too lazy to tell me what "and some other stuff" was.

Edit: But I'm also not too much of a snob to turn up my nose and not drink if I want. Just if I had my heart set on a good beer, I'm not going to just drink.

Last edited:
Another one for Blue Moon on top of the list... of the worst beer.

The last time we had it was at an Outback quite a few years ago. We were using a gift card that was 2 years old already. My wife ordered Blue Moon, I had water instead. The steaks were good, no complaining there. However, the Blue Moon was roundout terrible, old and oxidized.
Come to think of it, we should have used that card earlier... the beer would have been fresher then.

But... I remember drinking Blue Moon 12-15 years ago, when they ran their TV ad campaign, the one where the artist paints with all the ingredients, that "melted" into a glass of Blue Moon with a big head. It must have been way better then, no?

It's been a few years since I've had it but I remember it being pretty good off the tap at Coors field. Of course they brewed it on site.

BUD DRY glad they don't make it anymore. So bad so bad...

unnamed.gif

New Belgium's Belgo. Bought a sixer about 15 years ago. Still have 4 in the fridge, just in case there's no other way to be drunk for the zombie apocalypse.

If all you've got is Strohs, Milwaukee Best, Pabst, Keystone, 'Gansett, Olympia, Bud, Coors lite even I'll drink one or two to be polite. but no Blue Moon. I've taken 3 sips of Blue Moon. The first one, an immediate second one to confirm that indeed that is the worst beer I ever had and the first beer I ever poured down the drain, and a third one years later just to be sure there wasn't an unreported chemical spill at the plant. Suffice to say, no evidence presents of such a spill and its status as the worst beer ever stands.

BrewDog – Layer Cake (pastry stout)

Overly sweet, tastes absolutely artificial. After the first sip, I wasn't sure if it was gross or "weird but good" (like pancakes with bacon and maple syrup). I waited a bit, took a second sip, then dumped the rest down the drain and rinsed my mouth.

BrewDog – Layer Cake (pastry stout)

Overly sweet, tastes absolutely artificial. After the first sip, I wasn't sure if it was gross or "weird but good" (like pancakes with bacon and maple syrup). I waited a bit, took a second sip, then dumped the rest down the drain and rinsed my mouth.
I've had the same experience with Amundsen's blueberry pancake stack, that was the last drop that steered me away from trying anymore dumb pastry stouts. Altough Omnipollo Noa pecan mudcake stout is a masterpiece.

I haven't had Blue Moon in quite a while but I thought it was good and flavorful.

My "I'd never drink that if that were all that was available" is:
Coors Light.
I was actually in a position where that exact situation did occur. Playing in a baseball tournament in/around Fort Erie in Canada (near Niagra Falls), Coors light was a sponsor. Took a sip and said, "NO!" and bought my own and turning down free beer for the first time in my life.

Gin can be a bit of an acquired taste. It's that resiny flavor many people don't like on their first few encounters. As with many things, give it a few tries, it may grow on you. Have you tried a Gin Martini?

watch it there buddy! i love Gin! when i was a teenager, i'd drink beefeater like it was water, straight from the bottle! lol :mug:
I'm with you, I love Gin, too.
Now, did you really like it the first time you had it? Or did desperation ("the only thing around") play a factor?

I "inherited" someone's liquor cabinet. At some point I "forced myself" to drink mint liquor.
It still may be best in ice cream with dark chocolate poured over it.

Back