The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you!
By "shortening" you mean like Crisco?
Not sure how to get that "red hot". Maybe put them inside the grill on high?

You might no be able to get it glowing bright red, but get it as hot as you can. Put it in a hot wood fire and cover it with coals, or an oven with a self-cleaning cycle, or like you said inside a grill turned up high. My mom used to put her gunky cast iron frying pans in the wood stove once every few years.

By shortening, I mean like Crisco. :)

Last nights attempt using the Chris Graff's NYC recipe again and a better scale. Made the dough Saturday, RT for 3 hours or so, balled and into the fridge over night and till the afternoon. 2-3 hours on the counter before shaping. Used some awesome meats on this one and the puree that I found that is so good. Just spread the puree then crushed up a little dried basil and oregano on it and it's perfect!

Where did you source the All Trumps flour? Also, what are you using for low diastic malt?

Tonight’s pie.

AE19FEFB-0051-4590-959F-5606079D703E.jpeg
E333E28E-43F0-4A6B-962D-4998927A3EC0.jpeg

Friday night I made a pizza with the cheese on the bottom. (actually it wasn't the bottom, it was the next layer after the crust.) The sauce was just a blenderized can of garlic onion and basil flavored diced tomatoes, with a teaspoon of brown sugar and a little oregano. For toppings, I used a very small amount of salami and some fresh basil leaves. The cheese was unsmoked provolone slices.

I checked on it at 12 minutes and it looked like a disaster. The center had puffed up, and the tomato sauce ran to the edges and some spilled into the oven. I took it out, and it didn't really look done yet. So I spread the sauce around to even it out (and this is when I put the fresh basil leaves on) and put it back in the oven for 2 more minutes. When I took it out, it looked better but I wasn't sure the crust was done -- and that's weird because 12 minutes is usually enough time when the cheese is on top of the sauce.

I let it cool just a little so I could cut it, and it was fine. The top of the crust just looked undercooked because of the cheese. The pizza actually turned out quite good. It was also good cold the next day for breakfast. But next time I'll add a spoonful of tomato paste to the sauce to thicken it up some so it doesn't run.

I think whether or not to use steel or not depends on the temperature which your oven can get too. Steel is better for lower temperature ovens as it is more conductive.

You can also buy kiln shelves which are supposed to be made of cordierite which are good, might be cheaper than a cordierite stone marketed as a pizza stone. You can get them 3/4 inch thick.

I've used the fire bricks from my wfo in my kitchen oven at 285C and they aren't quite conductive enough to get the char I like on NY style pizzas.

sauce I just keep simple, cirio passata rustica with about 1% of its weight salt added and that's it.

I don't recall if I posted this rack photo alread but I was reminded of it when considering making a lot of pizza for a lot of people.
pizza racks.jpg

Did not have any AT flour yet. Used a 13% bread flour instead. Ordered the malt from someplace but I forget where.

I found it. This is the malt I ordered from Amazon -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008T9LX3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's the same one I got! It adds a nice texture to all baked dishes. I have been putting it in my pancakes cookies cupcakes and pizza. What ratio are you using? It seems a teaspoon per cup of flour is not a bad place to start.

That's the same one I got! It adds a nice texture to all baked dishes. I have been putting it in my pancakes cookies cupcakes and pizza. What ratio are you using? It seems a teaspoon per cup of flour is not a bad place to start.

Have you tried using pale brewers malt? (ordinary 2-row or pils, or wheat malt) You can whiz it in the coffee grinder and then sift out the husks. It would be a *lot* cheaper -- especially if you're a whole grain brewer already.

Yep, was given my options, and first go round bought the powder. I imagine just like anything, making it is probably better. And I have some golden promise, haha, not the highest diastatic power iirc. But yeah thanks, it is nice!
Have you tried using pale brewers malt? (ordinary 2-row or pils, or wheat malt) You can whiz it in the coffee grinder and then sift out the husks. It would be a *lot* cheaper -- especially if you're a whole grain brewer already.

Yep, was given my options, and first go round bought the powder. I imagine just like anything, making it is probably better. And I have some golden promise, haha, not the highest diastatic power iirc. But yeah thanks, it is nice!

Try the Golden Promise and see how it compares to the diastatic malt powder! I bet it's pretty close in enzymatic power (might even be higher), and you use so little the taste probably won't be noticeable.

I have stuck with the recipe so far at 2% low diastatic malt.

low power dme for baking is typically 20 litner I think if that helps. You don't want to use too much malt when doing long fermentations or your dough might end up a bit soupy :)

did bake a pizza with crushed san marzano tomatoes, oregano, garlic and buffalo mozarella. little too much sauce and cheese - it was like eating a stew
a bit heavy on my belly because this one was fermenting just 24h

7CF2ECC7-5D95-4913-8FBA-8B078050EDD0.jpeg

Seafood pizza made with einkorn wheat crust. Baked on a stone - always delivers a perfect crust. (This after a Saturday of making our first artisan sourdough loaves.)
When my grandma lived in Oregon, the local pizza shop served a pizza called The Bait Bucket with shrimp, oysters, clams and anchovies that was awesome. We got it every time we visited.

I did it. I found the folded slice, finally. Without a large peel. I have been craving ny style pizza that can be folded for years. Guess I never looked hard enough. Sadly no pictures as everyone was too hungry. The short of it is to make a big slice from a small pizza requires only changing how it is cut. Apparently a parallelogram can make 4 slices. Otherwise look at pic from j kenji at serious eats. This foldable thin crust brought up memories for my father in law.
Screenshot_20191125-221556_Samsung%20Notes.jpeg
Screenshot_20191125-180129_Google.jpeg

I did it. I found the folded slice, finally. Without a large peel. I have been craving ny style pizza that can be folded for years. Guess I never looked hard enough. Sadly no pictures as everyone was too hungry. The short of it is to make a big slice from a small pizza requires only changing how it is cut. Apparently a parallelogram can make 4 slices. Otherwise look at pic from j kenji at serious eats. This foldable thin crust brought up memories for my father in law. View attachment 654188View attachment 654189

That's actually pretty cool :)

That's actually pretty cool :)
Thanks. Yeah, no doubt. Hope you give it a try. How good was it? My 70 yo father in law was reminiscing about pizza of his youth in Atlantic city. I have no way to throw a 24 in pizza in my oven. I think i might ask for a 24 in screen for Christmas. That would also make it so I can make one big pie instead of 4 little ones that need cut. Granted I was working in a timeshare, it took forever to make those pizzas last night and by the time the last was done the first was cold. Haha, I used the spray sunscreen to roll. I rolled between two pieces of parchment so no mess, no fuss, its vacation.

My wife and I have gotten pretty into our pizza pies. Dough from scratch and sauce doctored up from tomato paste.

Fiery jalapeño Hawaiian

Sautéed mushroom, onion garlic with ricotta, goat cheese and parm, topped with arugula.

Attachments

• E847F852-7E9E-41F2-9952-E2DC3B6FEB04.jpeg
    E847F852-7E9E-41F2-9952-E2DC3B6FEB04.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • 0CE0C857-7B2F-4321-9789-ABE6B6B7902F.jpeg
    0CE0C857-7B2F-4321-9789-ABE6B6B7902F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
My wife and I have gotten pretty into our pizza pies. Dough from scratch and sauce doctored up from tomato paste.

Fiery jalapeño Hawaiian

Sautéed mushroom, onion garlic with ricotta, goat cheese and parm, topped with arugula.
The Fiery (Firey?) Hawaiian looks absolutely fantastic! What meat is that?

The Fiery (Firey?) Hawaiian looks absolutely fantastic! What meat is that?
Nope, fiery. It looks funny when written though, doesn’t it?

That’s ham. We weren’t thrilled with the flavor so we crisped it in a hot frying pan first.

I got an outdoor pizza oven this summer and am loving it! I've finally started dialing it in at different temps. Now I just want to work on consistent shaping.

Pic 1 = Homemade mozzarella, tomato sauce, pepperoni, caramelized onions, 60 seconds at 950F
Pic 2 = White pie of homemade mozzarella, ricotta, black pepper, basil, mushroom-sage olive oil, 2 minutes at 825F
Pic 3 = Crumb shot of margherita
IMG_9461.JPG
IMG_9459.JPG
IMG_9391.jpg

I got an outdoor pizza oven this summer and am loving it! I've finally started dialing it in at different temps. Now I just want to work on consistent shaping.

Pic 1 = Homemade mozzarella, tomato sauce, pepperoni, caramelized onions, 60 seconds at 950F
Pic 2 = White pie of homemade mozzarella, ricotta, black pepper, basil, mushroom-sage olive oil, 2 minutes at 825F
Pic 3 = Crumb shot of margheritaView attachment 655275 View attachment 655276 View attachment 655278

Looks great! What flour did you use and how long you let it sit for?

Thanks, everyone!

Looks great! What flour did you use and how long you let it sit for?

I'm using 00 Caputo pizzeria flour (the blue bag). These fermented for 23 hours in a 68F room, 0.03% instant dry yeast. For Neapolitan, my friends and I have actually preferred the taste of one-day, room temp ferments to three-day cold ferments.

Also how do you like your homemade mozz compared to store bought? worth doing?

Love it! Cheaper, fun to do, and comes out so soft. Also, if you can make fresh mozzarella, that means you can make burrata anytime too.

My wife makes the cheese. I think her rates of ingredients are slightly different, but her process is identical to this video.

Also, which pizza oven did you get? Pizzas look great!

I went with the Pizza Party Passione. I loved the idea that it can operate both as a wood-fired oven or can be fueled by propane. Propane is so much easier, but I can't wait to try out wood.

To my sadness, it looks like they're only making that oven for propane here on out.

IMG_8473.jpg
IMG_4252.JPG

I'm doing a 3-4 day cold ferment for a Neapolitan dough Right now it's just an uninteresting ball. After reading above, I'm tempted to leave it out for a whole day and then eat it but I want to check this cold ferment business out for myself.
3 1/2 pounds of dough which will be enough for 3 large pizzas and a pizza turnover.

I'm doing a 3-4 day cold ferment for a Neapolitan dough Right now it's just an uninteresting ball. After reading above, I'm tempted to leave it out for a whole day and then eat it but I want to check this cold ferment business out for myself.
3 1/2 pounds of dough which will be enough for 3 large pizzas and a pizza turnover.
I made dough for Chicago Thin style pizzas on Wednesday evening. Will be cooking Saturday evening! Approximately 72 hours cold ferment with 2-3 hours at room temperature before I open them and cook. I plan on making New York style dough again Saturday morning with a room temp ferment and cooking them Saturday evening too, just as a back up. So far I have been very happy with all the slow cold ferments that I have done.

So far I have been very happy with all the slow cold ferments that I have done.
That's good to know. So far,I've been successful making dough in one day by doubling the size, punch down, doubling the size, flattening in pan and letting it rise for a few hours.
The cold ferment is 5 hours old and has more than doubled in size. Smells good. The recipe emphasized how it will be much better after 3-4 days but pretty good at 2 days. No sugar and no oil.

Is your NY style dough much different than the Chicago thin crust besides cold fermenting?

FWIW, I definitely prefer 3-day cold ferment for NY style.

For Neapolitan, my friends & I didn't notice any additional depth in flavor. Both have been nice and airy, but the 1-day has consistently produced a crunchier exterior that goes beautifully with the soft interior, while the 3-day had less contrast and was slightly softer all around. I mean, we're talking really minor differences, but really minor differences in that direction plus shorter wait has made the one-day ferment the way I prefer for Neapolitan.

Definitely do both ways and go with whatever you like the most. You won't go wrong either way.

Back