The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got some cucumbers salting overnight, although I'm not fermenting them just going to pickle using vinegar :) Be interested to hear how that starter turns out for you

I've noticed that the flowers on courgettes and cucumbers go mouldy very very quickly, I always remove them as soon as possible, if not i get end rot on the fruits

I've got four dough balls in the fridge for this evening, I found a new flour I've not used before in Aldi, from FWPMathews - however when I was mixing it I noticed it was very very yellow, so found out it was fine ground semolina flour - so ended up mixing it 50/50 with some extra strong bread flour. not sure how it'll turn out

Thanks for the insight.
If you have a Gordon Food Supply (GFS) nearby, they have high gluten flour 25# bags for $8-9. That's what you want for pizza dough imo. About 23# will fit in a 5g bucket.
Edit: I see you are in the UK. No GFS there...

FYI, anyone looking for a sourdough starter, check out friendsofcarl.com

http://carlsfriends.net/source.html

Thanks for the insight.
If you have a Gordon Food Supply (GFS) nearby, they have high gluten flour 25# bags for $8-9. That's what you want for pizza dough imo. About 23# will fit in a 5g bucket.
Edit: I see you are in the UK. No GFS there...

FYI, anyone looking for a sourdough starter, check out friendsofcarl.com

We seem to have some fermentation

I started my current sourdough from a mixed culture. It will be robust for sure but for me it took a few generations and feedings to get into a happy place flavor wise. The LAB will eventually stake it's claim but feedings and aeration via stirring will expedite things. Definitely better than starting from nothing and getting nothing for multiple days. The smell has been an accurate measure for me. Plus one on end rot however that can be influenced by soil chemistry and I like my pH meter too much and assume you would too. If you are growing them pluck flowers as soon as you see the veg, it can be an assumption, if buying it's a crap shoot.
I'm neck deep in trying to understand sourdough. It handles/springs/crisps different but when you get it right it's so f'ing good. Been lucky before but trying to get good.

Latest attempt. Looks better than technically was. Tried bumping up the amount of starter and it didn't have great spring and, I assume, too much protealytic activity during a RT ferment. Also the sour flavor didn't increase at the same rate as the % increase.
Also weighing again to try to be consistent but when the pie ain't right exact measurements don't help.

View attachment 1501632206640.jpg

Back in the late 90's I used to belong to a Usernet group about sourdough.
here is a link to the FAQ. ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/news.answers/food/sourdough/faq

I started my current sourdough from a mixed culture. It will be robust for sure but for me it took a few generations and feedings to get into a happy place flavor wise. The LAB will eventually stake it's claim but feedings and aeration via stirring will expedite things. Definitely better than starting from nothing and getting nothing for multiple days. The smell has been an accurate measure for me. Plus one on end rot however that can be influenced by soil chemistry and I like my pH meter too much and assume you would too. If you are growing them pluck flowers as soon as you see the veg, it can be an assumption, if buying it's a crap shoot.
I'm neck deep in trying to understand sourdough. It handles/springs/crisps different but when you get it right it's so f'ing good. Been lucky before but trying to get good.

Latest attempt. Looks better than technically was. Tried bumping up the amount of starter and it didn't have great spring and, I assume, too much protealytic activity during a RT ferment. Also the sour flavor didn't increase at the same rate as the % increase.
Also weighing again to try to be consistent but when the pie ain't right exact measurements don't help.

Some of the reading I've been doing on sourdough and pizza suggests blending the lab and instant yeast in a stepped procedure. As in:
Make your starter of 20-30% of end product with the LAB only. After 36-48 hours, incorporate into the full dough mixture as well as a small amount of instant yeast and cold ferment for 2-4 days.
I think the key being using a minute amount of instant yeast so that the fermentation is slow, allowing the lab to not get overwhelmed but also allowing the dried yeast to aid in spring and cell development.

oops :mad:
aeeaRDj.jpg

The dough wasn't right for this unfortunately, too cold and wrong flour and not enough kneeding from me. I really need a decent mixer, I don't like kneeding much.

toppings were - passata with some fried garlic/basil, fresh mozz, pitted black olives, a couple of bits of aubergine and the last couple of bits of pepper from the previous pizzas and some cheapo thin sliced pepperoni folded into quarters

akSeMDS.jpg

7HDbKgZ.jpg

Thanks guys, your kind words help me get through this difficult time

That looks excellent kev

As far as yeast, correct me if i'm wrong, but Active Dry Yeast used dry. Instant Dry Yeast is supposed to be proofed in warm water (like we do with brewers dry yeast). I've used both and prefer the later but I haven't found it to be critical.

As far as yeast, correct me if i'm wrong, but Active Dry Yeast used dry. Instant Dry Yeast is supposed to be proofed in warm water (like we do with brewers dry yeast). I've used both and prefer the later but I haven't found it to be critical.

Other way around. Instant can be mixed in the dry ingredients.

Yup. ADY gets hydrated. It will eventually start to work if you mixed straight in, but there would be some lag time. changes things if you are making a two hour dough.

You did scrape that up and put it in the oven anyway right? How do you think the calzone was invented?

Early on in our relationship, my wife and I spent a long time making a spinach artichoke dip. From scratch. Cleaning the artichokes and all that.

Putting it into the oven it fell on the floor, upside down. We both looked at each other and scooped it back into the dish and into the oven.

I knew she was a keeper anyways but that reaffirmed it for me :off:

Early on in our relationship, my wife and I spent a long time making a spinach artichoke dip. From scratch. Cleaning the artichokes and all that.

Putting it into the oven it fell on the floor, upside down. We both looked at each other and scooped it back into the dish and into the oven.

I knew she was a keeper anyways but that reaffirmed it for me :off:

LOL! Well, oven temp should've killed any creepy-crawlies that were speedy enough to get into it.

Don't know how I missed all The Brick Oven talk. Looks like a beautiful set up, that one from the last page. Super well designed. I was very interested at one point. I felt confident that based on my research a very affordable option and an easy way to go would be to get the mold from brick ovens.com or something like that. I posted it before on this thread I think. For a small price they ship you a big box with the styrofoam molds to make a quick and awesome Brick Oven. Then once the oven is made you cut them out with a saw or get lucky and it pulls out. To back up their claim of design they have a picture catalog of people who definitely look like this is not something they could do without a product like this. In reality I started thinking more about a fireplace. I felt like a fireplace offered me way more cooking opportunities than just pizza. It seems like a more cozy day-in-and-day-out plan. After seeing ice Bob's Blackstone pizza oven, I felt pretty confident that there are some nice other products. Now these beautiful transportable ovens. Idk, I'm lost again. And I don't really have the space.

Sorry had to make new post with pizza, I can't go back and edit to add pictures and I forgot to the first time. I know, I know, i didn't make them, but damn I'm going to keep buying them :). The steel is good and hot. Cant wait.

Edit Dang, forgot pics again. Ill post that picture with the finished

Edit, edit that still is so hot it just melted and smoked out a pair of nice Cuisinart oven mitts

For anyone interested, this one, their basic oven is a cinder block U shape base. With a slab on it, then simply topped with brick.

I looked at these ovens before I started and the issue that kept me from going this way was the lack of insulation. The design simply has a refractory material (the fire brick) on the inside covered with a layer of regular brick. It would work, but if you are going through the effort to put together an oven, insulation will really help the performance.

I looked at these ovens before I started and the issue that kept me from going this way was the lack of insulation. The design simply has a refractory material (the fire brick) on the inside covered with a layer of regular brick. It would work, but if you are going through the effort to put together an oven, insulation will really help the performance.

Insulation between the slab and hearth bricks is as important as around the dome.

Insulation between the slab and hearth bricks is as important as around the dome.

If you read the construction instructions for the base and oven, you'll see that they call for both. Either using a Perlite/Vermiculite/Cement Mix or Insulating Castable for the base and a ceramic fiber blanket for the oven.

Made pizza dough and was all ready and my son kept talking about pigs in a blanket, mummies. He wouldnt stop, really wanted pigs in a blanket. So I took the dough and wrapped, oscar meyer all beef black package that were grilled last night, like little mummies. Had some left over and made little rounds and stuffed them full of hickory cherry smoked pork butt. Lowered oven to 500 and left on parchment. Well as you can see the results were splendid. The bread was crusty and was like artisian bread. But the crust was to strong for the kids. Guess 325 next time? I think stuffing dough is my new favorite thing.

Back