The Home Made Pizza Thread

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the same boat, I would like to have a dedicated pizza oven but the fact it is dedicated is the part that keeps me from doing it. I made a double layer thing with a pizza stone on the grill grates and a pizza steel cantilevering from the warmer shelf and have been getting OK performance. I use the steel and stone in the kitchen oven in a similar fashion, but the steel by itself works just fine too.

Snark_Wolf_Brewing

Snark Wolf Brewing
Reaction score
I am in the same boat, I would like to have a dedicated pizza oven but the fact it is dedicated is the part that keeps me from doing it. I made a double layer thing with a pizza stone on the grill grates and a pizza steel cantilevering from the warmer shelf and have been getting OK performance. I use the steel and stone in the kitchen oven in a similar fashion, but the steel by itself works just fine too.
I hear ya. Much as I'd like to buy a pizza oven, it's the whole dedicated part and the cost that makes me reconsider.

Nick&Worty

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Alright guys, it’s almost May. Some of us are working on our beach body, some of us are working on our “I can’t hide this under a hoodie anymore” body.

It’s totally okay to sub “white whole wheat flour” (yes that’s a thing) for your normal white/bread flour. Go with thin crust. Go with veggie toppings like mushrooms and spinach. Try the “one hand cheese challenge”. Take your biggest single handful of cheese, and that’s it! Spread it as well as you can! You might find (like me) that you don’t even notice the difference with the smaller amount of cheese!

You can have your pie and eat it too! 😁

Attachments

Last edited:

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Alright guys, it’s almost May. Some of us are working on our summer body, some of us are working on our “I can’t hide this under a hoodie anymore” body.

It’s totally okay to sub “white whole wheat flour” (yes that’s a thing) for your normal white/bread flour. Go with thin crust. Go with veggie toppings like mushrooms and spinach. Try the “one hand cheese challenge”. Take your biggest single handful of cheese, and that’s it! Spread it as well as you can! You might find (like me) that you don’t even notice the difference with the smaller amount of cheese!

Can use your hand as scoop instead of a claw? :)

orionol73

Reaction score
Love this thread. Anybody using one of the Ooni pizza ovens? You guys make me want to buy one.
I have the smallest Ooni, they are pretty fun and work well but are very temperamental. Usually cook on the cooler side for a longer period to get better results. It can cook a pie in 60 seconds but you better have your **** together! Have smeared a few pies across the stone and ruined dinner but live and learn :)

bwible

I drink, and I know things
Reaction score
I read that one of the biggest challenges for newbies is just getting the pizza into the oven off the peal without it sticking? Cornmeal helps, but I think I read there’s more to it?

orionol73

Reaction score
It can be a little tricky, the biggest issue is the pie sticking to the peel and how it reacts when it hits the stone changes as it gets hotter

Saunassa

One Life Brewing - life's to short for crappy beer
Reaction score
Alright guys, it’s almost May. Some of us are working on our beach body, some of us are working on our “I can’t hide this under a hoodie anymore” body.

I have had homemade pizza where they thought the more cheese the better.
I believe that moderation of all toppings lets the flavor of the crust recipe show through. Then the kids get the bottle of ranch and dunk it 🤯

pfmeyer

Reaction score
As far as dough sticking to peel, I came up with something this weekend and it worked great. Place a piece of parchment paper on peel first, then corn meal. If dough sticks to paper just place in oven with the paper and after about 30-60 seconds you can remove the paper with ease. I did get my pizza off the paper and directly on stone with no problem, just relieved any concerns.

gromitdj

Reaction score
My biggest tip is to make sure it's not stuck to the peel before you go to launch it. I always build the pie on the peel, so I try to work as quick as possible, give it a little "shimmy" occasionally and right before I launch to make sure it's moving freely. If it doesn't, you can always try to lift the dough and throw some addition flour on it.

Staestc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I meant to add, since it was discussed above, that while I normally build my pizzas on a wooden peel with semolina sprinkled on it and launch from there, since I rolled these skins out between parchment paper sheets anyway, I just built the pizzas on the paper, launched them still on the paper, then removed the paper after a couple of minutes as described above. Very simple and almost fool proof!

orionol73

Reaction score
I meant to add, since it was discussed above, that while I normally build my pizzas on a wooden peel with semolina sprinkled on it and launch from there, since I rolled these skins out between parchment paper sheets anyway, I just built the pizzas on the paper, launched them still on the paper, then removed the paper after a couple of minutes as described above. Very simple and almost fool proof!
care to share your particular dough recipe? The cheese pie looks prime...
I always use the parchment on the stone in the oven as well, cant do that with the Ooni.

NickTheGreat

Reaction score
This thread has inspired me, I think I may fire up the Kettlepizza and see how she works. It's been since probably 2019 since I used it.

Trying to avoid the burned crust and raw tops that I used to get :ghostly:
Narrator: He did not avoid burned crust and raw tops :mad:

I think my Kettle pizza either gets too hot (850-900), perhaps my stone is too thin and doesn't transfer the heat right. Maybe I will put less coal in and keep it more in the 650 range.