The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made bread sticks with the sourdough starter for the first time. I liked them, however I'm wondering if the sourdough character will improve over time...
First pizza with it today. I was surprised how nicely it handles. I used a recipe, so that will change (!) But I like the possibilities.

View attachment 1450221212134.jpg

Glad your dog wasn't 'harmed'. Starvin' to death by the looks, poor guy. At least you use proper pizza trays. Love it.

I use about 3/4 cup starter and a tsp. yeast to my 2 C total flour crust. I get a 11" crust or so. My starter is 2 parts flour to 1 part water feeder. I found that using lard and corn meal on my pans at 450* works very well.

Thanks. I will definitely be doing some experimenting to find my way. I love the smell and I was pleasantly surprised how well it made a thin crust. It's always fun to find a new challenge.

Made bread sticks with the sourdough starter for the first time. I liked them, however I'm wondering if the sourdough character will improve over time...
First pizza with it today. I was surprised how nicely it handles. I used a recipe, so that will change (!) But I like the possibilities.

I have found that any particular sourdough will pretty much improve itself in time. Keep feeding it and using it. It likes to work so don't be shy.

Last pie before vacation ends. Back to reality Monday. A good 5k calories later. 3 brew days and 4 pizza nights, not bad. Baby red potatoes and goat cheese. I steamed the potatoes before hand, as I do with a lot of my veggies. I do not want anyone trying it and thinking that guy is an idiot... Well... Never mind

View attachment 1450491176262.jpg

Funny. I needed some help with it. I am a vegetarian. I come up with "base pizzas" then have my wife or friends try them to figure out how to make them better. I had my wife try it and she said, "Bacon". I like your idea, thanks a lot. I almost added some fresh rosemary but that is such a commitment, HA... I was thinking something smoky the whole time. I also have a buddy who is a whiz on the grill and another friend who makes a mean Korean bbq and we've been talking about collaborating. Stay tuned...:)

I ran out of Italian herbs for the sauce mix in my last post. So I subbed in organic Herbs de Provence. Close, but with a French flair that was different...seemed to lend to the sweetness of the tomatoes a bit?

I am at the beginning of a 16 day break from work (6 weekend days, 4 holidays, 6 vacation days) so I figured I'd try making a sourdough culture from scratch. I started with whole whole flour and a touch of german pilsner malt. Currently at just over T: + 2 days and there are signs of life. Hoping within the next few days I can whip up a sourdough pizza.

Homemade sourdough rye crust. Pizza sauce, pressed garlic, sliced Roma tomatoes, peppers, red onions, black olives, fresh homemade mozzarella, basil, and oregano.

2015-12-20 18.33.48.jpg

Glutenboy's recipe (Pizzamaking.com) with a one week ferment in the fridge. Simply dressed with sliced Moz, San Marzano's, Peperoni, and shredded Moz.

005_zps5ugdljqy.jpg

006_zpsqf5665pm.jpg

007_zpsdslblmiu.jpg

008_zpsmf8sdlig.jpg

I gotta go... my beer is empty.

Sourdough rye crust, garlic, red onion, yellow & red & orange pepper, black olives, turkey pepperoni, Canadian bacon, and Italian sausage.

In my rush to get this into the oven before the Packer's game (boo!) I forgot the mushrooms and basil, but they weren't missed; there was nothing but crumbs left of this pie.

2016-01-03 19.40.06.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451948995.745228.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451949016.699062.jpg

I made extra dough last month, so we pulled it out of the freezer in the afternoon. I need to make the batch a little bigger for pan pizzas - doesn't quite stretch enough. 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

One: pesto, mozzarella, Parmesan, onion, & tomatoes, more mozzarella, then topped with spinach.

Two: tomato sauce, bell pepper, onion, mozzarella. Parmesan.

I always thought pizza was hard to make!

Back