The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah totally do that save you the $80 I paid. I've been thinking about putting it on my grill to see if I can get it closer to 6 700 degrees hot and then cooking pizza or filet mignon on it. The new baking steels have a channel for Grease if you have somebody make you one that channel would be good that way you can cook hamburgers and stuff on it without the grease rolling off

What's a Rolling pin Pie? Any tips on thin crust. Is paradise seed legal? might have something to do with the midnight pizzas

What's a Rolling pin Pie? Any tips on thin crust. Is paradise seed legal? might have something to do with the midnight pizzas

Thin crust FTW! I like a stiff crackery crust. Cooked on the grill.

img_03163-47890.jpg

Ha. Yeah all legal just had some of the brewing spice left, kind of a more earthy black pepper taste. The rolling pin thing is just that. I use my usual crust recipe but stretch it thin and then go over it with a rolling pin to get it to that crackery point. No cornicione, and would probably even benefit from a dough docker if you're into that sort of thing.

My wife has a gluten intolerance. Does anyone have a good gluten free dough recipe? I've tried several store bought gluten free flour and they never turn out that good.

What does everyone use for their pizza cheese? I am still on my life long search for the perfect cheese. I'm looking for a cheese that is stringy and gooey, let's off just the right amount of grease, and has great flavor.

So far I've tried:

Fresh Mozz - best tasting but watery when used in sufficient quantity (even when pressed in towels). Doesn't brown. Not stringy or greasy enough.

Low Moisture Part Skim - typically bland. some brands brown and string better than others.

Low Moisture Whole - one of the better ones i've tried but hard to source where I live now for some reason.

Provolone - good when mixed with mozz at about 50%, but hard to find in bricks. $$$ from deli.

Pre-shredded "pizza cheese" - all suck.

Sargento Mozz+Prov Mix Pre-shredded - best i've had yet but flavor is still bland.

My wife has a gluten intolerance. Does anyone have a good gluten free dough recipe? I've tried several store bought gluten free flour and they never turn out that good.

I find it has a lot to do with the flour. Most gluten free flour I've used end up making a crappy grainy crust. Try to find a high end gluten free flour from places like surfas (depending on where you're located) or various cooking supply shops

What does everyone use for their pizza cheese? I am still on my life long search for the perfect cheese. I'm looking for a cheese that is stringy and gooey, let's off just the right amount of grease, and has great flavor.

So far I've tried:

Fresh Mozz - best tasting but watery when used in sufficient quantity (even when pressed in towels). Doesn't brown. Not stringy or greasy enough.

Low Moisture Part Skim - typically bland. some brands brown and string better than others.

Low Moisture Whole - one of the better ones i've tried but hard to source where I live now for some reason.

Provolone - good when mixed with mozz at about 50%, but hard to find in bricks. $$$ from deli.

Sargento Mozz+Prov Mix Pre-shredded - best i've had yet but flavor is still bland.

I have found that nothing available in the consumer market is equivalent to the cheese used by (NY) pizzerias. (Once in a while there's a place that uses greasy cheese, but for the most part) I just want to ask what flavor are you looking for? Mozzarella is just made from cheese curds and salt which unless you are lacking the salt flavor is pretty bland. Provolone or a sprinkling of real parmigiana would add some zip.

I like taleggio cheese on pizza

Aged gouda is quite good too

Also you can make a cauliflower crust base pizza, it's quite interesting for a gluten free version, also socca perhaps? which is chickpea

That said I'm always disappointed when I try gluten free anything :)

I have found that nothing available in the consumer market is equivalent to the cheese used by (NY) pizzerias. (Once in a while there's a place that uses greasy cheese, but for the most part) I just want to ask what flavor are you looking for? Mozzarella is just made from cheese curds and salt which unless you are lacking the salt flavor is pretty bland. Provolone or a sprinkling of real parmigiana would add some zip.

I would say i'm looking for the flavor you get from restaurant pizzas (NY style is probably an acceptable comparison). I'm not opposed to buying a case of cheese for the sole purpose of making pizza, if i knew what to get.

Once I bought a 5-lb bag of mozz from a local food service store. It was very different from the standard grocery store cheese, but i wouldn't say it was any better.

I always add parm or pecc to the mix, and it does up the flavor, but doesn't overcome the lack of flavor in the base cheese.

So far I've tried:

Best I've ever had is fresh ball in water type mozzarella di buffalo. Awesome but hard to find and expensive.

When I use any fresh type mozzarella packed in water, or vac sealed, I will slice or tear in chunks and set it to dry out a bit on a wire rack for a good hour or so before using on a pizza. It seems to help with the watery texture.

Mostly I will use Sargento artisan whole milk shredded mozzarella. I've also tried brick style mozzarella and shredded it myself. That is usually pretty good too.

Seems that the part Skim type cheese is never as good texture wise or flavor wise.

Agree with you about brick or shredded Provolone. It boosts the flavor big time. I'll sometimes tear rip or slice into strips the pre sliced stuff that is easier to find in the stores. I'd use a blend of Provolone and mozzarella routinely if I could find a more reliable source for inexpensive brick or shredded whole milk Provolone.

The mini bocatini type clusters of fresh mozzarella are sometimes nice to use.

So far I've tried:

I like taleggio cheese on pizza

Aged gouda is quite good too

Also you can make a cauliflower crust base pizza, it's quite interesting for a gluten free version, also socca perhaps? which is chickpea

That said I'm always disappointed when I try gluten free anything :)

I would say i'm looking for the flavor you get from restaurant pizzas (NY style is probably an acceptable comparison). I'm not opposed to buying a case of cheese for the sole purpose of making pizza, if i knew what to get.

Once I bought a 5-lb bag of mozz from a local food service store. It was very different from the standard grocery store cheese, but i wouldn't say it was any better.

I always add parm or pecc to the mix, and it does up the flavor, but doesn't overcome the lack of flavor in the base cheese.

Best I've ever had is fresh ball in water type mozzarella di buffalo. Awesome but hard to find and expensive.

When I use any fresh type mozzarella packed in water, or vac sealed, I will slice or tear in chunks and set it to dry out a bit on a wire rack for a good hour or so before using on a pizza. It seems to help with the watery texture.

Mostly I will use Sargento artisan whole milk shredded mozzarella. I've also tried brick style mozzarella and shredded it myself. That is usually pretty good too.

Seems that the part Skim type cheese is never as good texture wise or flavor wise.

Agree with you about brick or shredded Provolone. It boosts the flavor big time. I'll sometimes tear rip or slice into strips the pre sliced stuff that is easier to find in the stores. I'd use a blend of Provolone and mozzarella routinely if I could find a more reliable source for inexpensive brick or shredded whole milk Provolone.

The mini bocatini type clusters of fresh mozzarella are sometimes nice to use.

Good info, and I agree with everyone...

Still can't find a cheese I really like. I've settled on a mix of Costco mozzarella logs cut into rounds and moisture pressed out and a light dusting of cheap Safeway low moisture shredded mozzarella.

May need to revisit the provolone mix soon...

I blend mozzarella, provolone with a small bit of shredded swiss and parm. The swiss and parm add a little bite to the cheese blend that I prefer.

Try it little Blobs of cream cheese it's killer, gooey and yummy. With mozzarella and whatever else you normally use. I worked at pizza shops in college.

I had written this up on my phone recently and the app crapped out before it posted.

Four dough, I tried something different and with spectacular results.
I tried a type of no knead method, that I read about on the seriouseats blog or whatever it is. I recently read the book "The Food Lab" by one of the senior bloggers over there and its a major revelation for me about food and cooking. At any rate....

For the pizza dough, I had normally used a recipe calculator that I found on www.pizzamaking.com under the dough tools section I believe you can enter various parameters with suggested ranges given, in order to formulate a basic dough. This worked very well for me in the past. After reading the book and the blog I learned a few things about gluten formation that I hadn't known before. Taking the same basic recipe, and folks, be sure to omit any oil in your dough for maximum gluten formation, I tried the "no-knead" method.

In my stand mixer I placed the flour and water only. mixed only until fully incorporated, then left in mixer to rest for 45-90 minutes. Then I added salt and yeast (I use instant yeast) and again mix until uniformly incorporated, no more. Then let it rest for 90-120 minutes. At this point, I probably should have placed the whole mass into the fridge overnight then formed dough balls in the AM for PM pizza time, but instead I just formed the dough balls immediately and placed into the fridge for PM pizza the next day.

I also ran my oven at a lower temp and cooked for a longer time: normally I run about 650-725 degrees with about a 2-2.5 minute bake time, but this time I ran it 490-550 degrees and a 4.5-5 minute bake time. I took the dough out an hour before planned bake time to allow to warm to room temp. It was noticeably well risen and bubbly much more so than when I used 1% oil in the mix plus about a 15 minute mixer knead that I had been doing previously with good results. But this time, I was able to stretch the "skins" much thinner without tearing. I had much greater "oven spring" in the crust with excellent crumb formation. By cooking lower and longer I had no scorched flour or crust (and oddly, I had uncooked flour on bottom of some pieces! I must do better at getting this off for my next pizza night!) The baked pizza slices were thin crusted and rigid with no "floppy tip" that I've experienced in the past.

Overall, I was extremely happy with my first "no-knead" dough. Check out that method yourselves. I had read also that a three day "bulk ferment" (unballed dough mass) improved the flavor of the dough even more so than a 24 hour ferment.

I also encourage you all to check out the pizzamaking.com site. Lots of guys there put this thread to shame. One guy has a sourdough time-table for projecting the fermentation time based on temperature (and yeast percentage as well I believe.) Lots to be learned.

TD

Thanks for the no knead recipe I have been letting my bread machine do the work but I don't think it would do as good as a strong knead.

A friend recently told me about no rise quick dough anybody had any luck with those

884°?!? at what temperature does mozzarella spontaneously combust? Looks great. What is the cooking surface made from? If people have their stones breaking from thermal shock, what is the Blackstone secret?

884°?!? at what temperature does mozzarella spontaneously combust? Looks great. What is the cooking surface made from? If people have their stones breaking from thermal shock, what is the Blackstone secret?

Fresh mozz can take it even higher, an authentic Neapolitan pie is cooked with a floor temp of 900 to 1000f. To be honest I don't what the stones are made of, but from reading the massive Blackstone thread at pizzamaking.com, it's not of a high end one. I just heat it up on medium flame until 600/650f (about 15/20 mins) and after crank it up. The last pie took 90 secs...

A greens pizza. Chard, arugala, spinach, baby kale, splashed some spicy oil on it and finished with some gorgonzola. There's a cheese for you. Didn't realize it would melt so well, I should have mixed it with the rest of the cheese when it went into the oven for the main cook. Obviously a different beast but it's funk worked well with some of the spicy elements, there's jalapeno under there too. Almost any cheese works with the right components.

View attachment 1462159755701.jpg

A greens pizza. Chard, arugala, spinach, baby kale, splashed some spicy oil on it and finished with some gorgonzola. There's a cheese for you. Didn't realize it would melt so well, I should have mixed it with the rest of the cheese when it went into the oven for the main cook. Obviously a different beast but it's funk worked well with some of the spicy elements, there's jalapeno under there too. Almost any cheese works with the right components.

Those greens look like they could have spent a minute under the broiler :)

Good food!

Pesto pizza with red peppers, olives, broccoli, and feta cheese. And also with my latest brew.
We made a second pizza, too, a white pizza with mushroom and cauliflower.
13139216_10207877839076656_8768437045942066313_n.jpg

Anyone have any tips for dough? I am using my oven with a stone to cook. I just always seem to have too sticky of dough, and after making 5-6 pizzas, I haven't really found a recipe that works for me. The pizza is edible, but I am definitely not proud of it.

Here is the recipe I have been using:

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
1 packet yeast
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup hot water
2 tbsp olive oil in the dough, and coating the bowl it rises in with 2 tsp.

It has been a hit or miss. Should I stick to use bread flour? I have also been cooking it on parchment paper. Just having a hard time getting the dough to cooperate.

Anyone have any tips for dough? I am using my oven with a stone to cook. I just always seem to have too sticky of dough, and after making 5-6 pizzas, I haven't really found a recipe that works for me. The pizza is edible, but I am definitely not proud of it.

Here is the recipe I have been using:

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
1 packet yeast
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup hot water
2 tbsp olive oil in the dough, and coating the bowl it rises in with 2 tsp.

It has been a hit or miss. Should I stick to use bread flour? I have also been cooking it on parchment paper. Just having a hard time getting the dough to cooperate.

The biggest difference in my dough came when I started using high gluten flour. With high gluten flour it allows the gluten protein chains to stretch more, giving you a lighter, more fluffy dough/crust (at least that's my understanding of it.

With the sticky, I'll usually sprinkle a little flour over it before working it onto the peel/stone and even though some don't like it, I'm not opposed to a light dusting of corn meal on the peel

Back