The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did 15 pies on my bday.. picture showing the fire brick cleaning.. when the brick goes from black to clean. Oven is hot enough to start..."stay strong and brew on"... I just cook the pizza

Attachments

• IMG_20170806_135454.jpg
    IMG_20170806_135454.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 141
I loose my cool too
Likely the dough was too wet for the screen

not sure. i've made the same dough recipe quite a few times now. the first pizza right before it also came off flawlessy. i'm sure i did something to make it stick, just not sure what. it was fully bonded and i actually broke the damn screen trying to get the pizza to unlatch.

No pizza, but made sauce with the frozen garden tomatos per Ozarks advice. Wow! Thanks for the tip.

Here’s a couple from tonight while watching the game! 550 in the oven!
IMG_3795.JPG

IMG_3796.JPG

And then I have my favorite in the oven right now.....EL. DIABLO!!

Made a pie the other night. Struggling with making mozzarella. Had the day off so I made it with a culture. I've had better luck with citric acid but it just feels lame and a bit of a cheat... You can see blobs of the mozz that didn't ever get much of a stretch and thus didn't melt well... On the other hand it was a sourdough that had great spring and tasted good.
20181205_183657.jpeg
20181205_185158.jpeg
20181205_185218.jpeg

For convenience I have been spreading the Doe out on a rimmed baking sheet. I spread oil and then par cook the pizza. Everybody seems to like it and because of the ease and convenience hard to get away from. I didn't have any sauce so this had olive oil mozzarella and Gallo salame only. This delicate Little Golden Crust was really good.

Pizza looks awesome hotwatermusic. I just can't seem to get a crust like that. That's really cool you are making mozzarella. Can't wait to see more.
Screenshot_2018-12-10-18-20-43.jpeg
20181210_181417.jpeg

Yes perfectly appropriate. Beer and pizza. I couldn't love it more. Merica

I like the looks of that shelf a lot. Works on broil? I par baked a pizza with no pan the other day. Put a piece of parchment on top of the dough. Used that to push out a really really thin pizza. Reminded me of abos in boulder. NY style I guess it would be called. I dont want to insult that style though. Despite being smaller the pizza folded beautifully. Held on the finger tips and it made a nice rainbow. Held from the crust it drooped perfectly. I have to make this again. Salt on sauce.
20181226_130736.jpeg

Made more thin crust pizzas the other day. Really liking this style. Even thinner crust. I cant really post full pics right now. Dont know if app is limiting me or if its just time to pay my dues. Haha, ran out of mozz again so grated frigo string cheese on top. Definitely not the same.
Screenshot_2018-12-31-22-30-40.jpeg

@schematix , Those look awesome! How'd the pineapple pie turn out? Every time I try it, it ends up a soggy mess. And while I'm not a huge fan of the combo, my Mother in law is.

Disgusting. Pineapple should never be on a pizza and this confirmed my prior bias.

I only did it because I had leftover Canadian bacon and my wife said it’s really good. Since we always have pineapple on hand I figured I’d try it.

Oldest kid liked it. Wife said it was too cheesy and I thought it was just odd.

I think doing it with canned pineapple might be better than the fresh I used so it’s cooked more and sweeter. I won’t be attempting again though.

I think it's rubbish too, at least on a pizza with tomato sauce and cheese. I recon it could work in a different way though, just not sure what that is!

When I've done it before on request I have always squezed the pineapple chunks to get as much juice out of them as possible. They are still plenty moist enough once cooked

Made a pie the other night. Struggling with making mozzarella. Had the day off so I made it with a culture. I've had better luck with citric acid but it just feels lame and a bit of a cheat... You can see blobs of the mozz that didn't ever get much of a stretch and thus didn't melt well... On the other hand it was a sourdough that had great spring and tasted good.View attachment 602119View attachment 602120View attachment 602121
I'd like your dough recipe if you care to share. That's been my biggest struggle making pizza and I've gone back to buying dough from my fav local pizza spot. My doughs come out just OK. I've tried different flours, ratios, longer cooler fermentings, etc. how hot is the oven for that pie?
my kitchen oven with larger stone only goes to 550*
my brother got me smaller propane pizza oven that'll do 800*

I agree the tomato sauce makes it some kind of weird.

I could potentially see it working with BBQ sauce as the base. The other thing that comes to mind as a potential sauce is something like a cole slaw dressing (sweet and creamy). I'd probably also throw on some pulled pork and a touch of cilantro for freshness.

I'd still keep the cheese but probably switch it to something meltier like jack, or even some xtra melt processed cheese.

I like pineapple on pizza, especially with sweet Italian sausage. There, I said it! I like pineapple pizza, but it has to be a fresh hot pie. Any leftover slices get the pineapple picked off.
I'll go one step further and say I HATE mushrooms!

For the record: While I like it, it's not my favorite. But I've never been able to make it work on one of my pizzas. It always ends up a sloppy mess from the moisture.

Back