The Crooked Stave Cellar Reserve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sigh...

so I split a membership with a friend and we just got a email from CS this morning that they had an error on their end and had to cancel our initial allocation order for Dry-hopped Surette Reserva and Pluot (nevermind the Nightcap issue...), and that they could not resubmit our order as all of the bottles are now sold out, even though we have a confirmation of our order. Sarah says our money has been returned.
this leaves us with just the 2 bottles each that come with the Cellar Reserve.

this is now the 2nd time this has happened to us this year!

anyone else have weird issues with them this year?

sigh...

so I split a membership with a friend and we just got a email from CS this morning that they had an error on their end and had to cancel our initial allocation order for Dry-hopped Surette Reserva and Pluot (nevermind the Nightcap issue...), and that they could not resubmit our order as all of the bottles are now sold out, even though we have a confirmation of our order. Sarah says our money has been returned.

Never happened to me or anyone I trustee for. If it has none of them has said anything to me about it

sigh...

Yes, this happened to me once last year with one of my orders. I received an email with a confirmation/transaction number but at the bottom in very small print it said "your transaction was not completed". I didn't see the small print and when I went to pickup and they said they didn't have any extras for me. I pulled the email up on my phone and the two people who looked at the email first didn't see the small print in the bottom of the email, then they brought Chad out and he noticed it. They were able to go back and honor my original order since he ran it through with the exact same information and it all worked. I would push a little bit harder to see if you can get your original order honored. I am sure they hold onto a couple of extra bottles of each beer and could likely meet one more order.

I had 6 and 6 in my cart during the recent final sale, and put the order through at 10am MST, and thought it went through but never got confirmation and apparently it didn't go through (using cell phone). Was in NYC and rushing to a job site tho, so may very well have been a signal issue or my own fault in some way.

sigh...

That is super weird. Do they really not have any extras leftover that they were holding onto for future or self use or anything? I find it hard to believe that every single bottle was sold and there are no others left.

That is super weird. Do they really not have any extras leftover that they were holding onto for future or self use or anything? I find it hard to believe that every single bottle was sold and there are no others left.
They definitely hold some back. I don't know how much but they broke some bottles as they brought them out to my vehicle at the last release and they replaced them

Wtf? I just sharpened my pitchfork and bought some gas. Guess I'll head over to the wakefield thread.
or just head over to that other site and check out the people freaking out about the "meh beers at WtF" and the inaccuracies of the list (apparently one brewery didn't bring one of the beers they said they would, some breweries sent a wide variety of cool vintage/one off beers and instead of listing them all out the list indicated that the brewery had "vintage goodies", and Crooked Stave brought beers that weren't on the list including Persicas, Waelzblood, L'Brett D'Plum, and Between the Staves)...

noimnotkidding.jpg

or just head over to that other site and check out the people freaking out about the "meh beers at WtF" and the inaccuracies of the list (apparently one brewery didn't bring one of the beers they said they would, some breweries sent a wide variety of cool vintage/one off beers and instead of listing them all out the list indicated that the brewery had "vintage goodies", and Crooked Stave brought beers that weren't on the list including Persicas, Waelzblood, L'Brett D'Plum, and Between the Staves)...

noimnotkidding.jpg

WtF was damn amazing again. Still the best festival around. I was the first person to get to the SP table and I was like, "how could fuzzy be kicked already if I'm the first person to try and get a pour?" Just some miscommunication between SP and CS I guess?

Those vintage goodies were amazing. I actually loved that they listed them in that manner. Ale Apothecary's and CS's were a nice little surprise. Great event once again. I think I still liked the first one the best though :p

I'll be bringing some FW Bretta Weisse, some Jester King, and likely an older TRVE sour. Maybe some Modern Times shelf turds. Nothing crazy. Looking forward to it!

So...the CS event was a bit of a let down. Bottle share was fun but considering I flew in wanted to try more CS stuff and their taps kicked in like 30 minutes and they didn't put anything else on. Tap list at the Source looked awesome but I didn't have time to go there. Luckily went to Hops & Pie and then bottle shared with some friends that made the trip absolutely worth it.

Still wish I could renew for next year. :(

So...the CS event was a bit of a let down. Bottle share was fun but considering I flew in wanted to try more CS stuff and their taps kicked in like 30 minutes and they didn't put anything else on. Tap list at the Source looked awesome but I didn't have time to go there. Luckily went to Hops & Pie and then bottle shared with some friends that made the trip absolutely worth it.

Still wish I could renew for next year. :(

Yeah, the consensus from CO gang bang team that attended the event was that it was basically a glorified bottle share. Not much by the way of CS taps, a couple of random pizza's, no food trucks, one porta-potty. Alas, it was still fun but I would definitely be more disappointed if I had flown in.

He was there. I left before the toast after I tried most of the guest taps. I was expecting more special CS beers.

I did open a Surette Reserva and was underwhelmed. Not too much difference than an aged normal Surette. More of a hop aroma and a touch of oak. Hope the other two are better.

Last edited:
He was there. I left before the toast after I tried most of the guest taps. I was expecting more special CS beers.

I did open a Surette Reserva and was underwhelmed. Not too much difference than an ages normal Surette. More of a hop aroma and a touch of oak. Hope the other two are better.

Thanks for confirming he was there. I talked to a friend who said he was there for most of the event and said that he didn't see Chad at all.

Part of me wonders if Chad is burnt out by this whole thing. I wouldn't be surprised. I've had a few of this year's beers, and while they're better than last year's, they're still underwhelming, for the most part, especially compared to what he produced the first year. It does appear that he couldn't live up to the hype. Kind of too bad, but that's part of the game, I guess.

yeah I made the drive in and hung out with Johnny R and others who flew in for the weekend and I'm with him I was disappointed being my first time there as a member. I did enjoy Hops and Pie and our bottle share Sat night at a locals house. Also had the time to stop at the Source on Sunday and other downtown Denver spots so all in all the 14hr drive was worth it... and I saw Chad towards the end so he was there but I must of left before the toast...

Thanks for confirming he was there. I talked to a friend who said he was there for most of the event and said that he didn't see Chad at all.

Part of me wonders if Chad is burnt out by this whole thing. I wouldn't be surprised. I've had a few of this year's beers, and while they're better than last year's, they're still underwhelming, for the most part, especially compared to what he produced the first year. It does appear that he couldn't live up to the hype. Kind of too bad, but that's part of the game, I guess.
This years beers were underwhelming? Must be holding them to an insanely high standard. I though L'Brett Grand Cru, Petite Blueberry, and Blackberry Origins were awesome. Passionfruit, L'Brett Cherry and Raspberry Origins were slightly less tasty than the other 3 and haven't tried Port Nightmare or the 3 new releases. Underwhelming would be one of the last thoughts to come to mind for this years membership bottles IMO

Back