The Crooked Stave Cellar Reserve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know the guy in the pic below wearing the orange flannel with the gray hat? He works at the taproom in Denver.

He provided the best service I've ever had at a beer establishment when I visited last Friday. I got a little drunk trying every beer on the menu and forgot his name, but if anyone knows him (or he's on TB) let me know - I want to send him some beer as a "thank you" for an awesome experience.

10896281_824475940945534_7815968646159090330_o.jpg

Between CS, the proximity to epic skiing, and the overall San Diego/Austin/Bend vibe of Denver, I could be pretty happy living there. You locals are pretty lucky.

Anyone know the guy in the pic below wearing the orange flannel with the gray hat? He works at the taproom in Denver.

He provided the best service I've ever had at a beer establishment when I visited last Friday. I got a little drunk trying every beer on the menu and forgot his name, but if anyone knows him (or he's on TB) let me know - I want to send him some beer as a "thank you" for an awesome experience.

Between CS, the proximity to epic skiing, and the overall San Diego/Austin/Bend vibe of Denver, I could be pretty happy living there. You locals are pretty lucky.

That's Jeff! Super nice guy. I'm not sure if he's on the sites, but I've got his cell number and considering you want to send him beer, I think it'd be okay to share it with you.

Just want to point out how incredibly happy Andre looks in that photo. Haha

Jeff! I'll get him in touch with ya! Had beers with him last night.
Just want to point out how incredibly happy Andre looks in that photo. Haha

Cool, thank you both! If you speak to him, tell him Josh from last Friday evening was asking - he hooked me up with a bunch of stuff. He should remember :).

Email or FB would be cool too.

An email/letter to management about stellar service usually goes a long way.

I just did a trade with Jeff on facebook. He was really patient, and fair...and the extra's were over the top. Really great guy.

Received my final envelope from CS today, I was absolutely crushed not to see the random ass hilarious picture I had sent in on my card. Really? After breaking up with us, the best you can do is some shitty wooden card I can't even use to hold my spot with on a beer pong table?

I was really looking forward to being able to whip out that card at bars when I am 70 (especially because of the epic random ass drunk picture). Looks like that isn't happening anymore. Guess I didn't spend enough the past 3 years to justify a $1.50 card. Sad feels.

Received my final envelope from CS today, I was absolutely crushed not to see the random ass hilarious picture I had sent in on my card. Really? After breaking up with us, the best you can do is some shitty wooden card I can't even use to hold my spot with on a beer pong table?

I was really looking forward to being able to whip out that card at bars when I am 70 (especially because of the epic random ass drunk picture). Looks like that isn't happening anymore. Guess I didn't spend enough the past 3 years to justify a $1.50 card. Sad feels.
Just put it in the pile with your growler you can never use.

To all Crooked Stave Lifetime Members:

We apologize for not following through with using photos on the Lifetime Membership cards. This was not a cost issue. We did not receive a photo from every one of our 500 members and many of the ones we did receive were unusable - including party photos. To maintain consistency, we went back to our standby high-quality wooden cards.

As the former Cellar Reserve Coordinator, it is difficult for me to see reactions and statements like these. I, and the entire Crooked Stave team, work very hard to try and provide a great experience for our Cellar Reserve/Lifetime Members.

I would like to thank you again for being a part of our Cellar Reserve program. I had great relationships with many of you and could not have asked for a more awesome group of supporters for our brewery. I hope you continue to be fans of Crooked Stave moving forward.

Best,
Sarah Haughey
Marketing Coordinator
Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project

Just put it in the pile with your growler you can never use.

Not so fast......I got this email today.

"We have an exciting announcement. Starting today, Wednesday, April 1st, we are offering growler fills to all Lifetime Members!

No, really, this isn't an April Fool's Day joke. We are actually filling those fancy Cellar Reserve 2014 growlers. As you know, we had hoped to use these for purposes outside of hydration before now, but unforeseen circumstances prevented us from doing so.

IMPORTANT NOTES ON TAPROOM GROWLER FILLS:
  • Growler fills are for LIFETIME MEMBERS ONLY! This promotion is not available to the general public. Lifetime Members must have their member card and photo ID with them to obtain a growler fill.
  • Only Crooked Stave Cellar Reserve 2014 40-oz growlers will be filled. No exceptions.
  • We will NOT fill any dirty growlers. We will be rinsing the growlers using our taproom glass cleaners, but we have no way of cleaning growlers beyond this. Please do not bring in dirty growlers - we will not fill them.
  • Quantities on growler fills may vary. Products may not be available for the entirety of the promotion.
  • Growler fills are only available at our taproom (3350 Brighton Blvd).

Starting April 1st, we will kick things off by offering our Lifetime Members 40-oz growler fills of either Vieille Artisanal Saison or Autumn Surette for $20. We will be changing the beers periodically depending on availability. Again, please note that only certain beers will be periodically available for growler fills. We will do our best to email as these change, but if a keg runs out, growler fills of that beer will no longer be available. For the most up-to-date information about available beers, please visit our taproom."

I probably will wait until they make fills available to the general public at which time I expect the price to drop 40% like the Petite Sour bottles.

Not so fast......I got this email today.

"We have an exciting announcement. Starting today, Wednesday, April 1st, we are offering growler fills to all Lifetime Members!

No, really, this isn't an April Fool's Day joke. We are actually filling those fancy Cellar Reserve 2014 growlers. As you know, we had hoped to use these for purposes outside of hydration before now, but unforeseen circumstances prevented us from doing so.

IMPORTANT NOTES ON TAPROOM GROWLER FILLS:
  • Growler fills are for LIFETIME MEMBERS ONLY! This promotion is not available to the general public. Lifetime Members must have their member card and photo ID with them to obtain a growler fill.
  • Only Crooked Stave Cellar Reserve 2014 40-oz growlers will be filled. No exceptions.
  • We will NOT fill any dirty growlers. We will be rinsing the growlers using our taproom glass cleaners, but we have no way of cleaning growlers beyond this. Please do not bring in dirty growlers - we will not fill them.
  • Quantities on growler fills may vary. Products may not be available for the entirety of the promotion.
  • Growler fills are only available at our taproom (3350 Brighton Blvd).

Starting April 1st, we will kick things off by offering our Lifetime Members 40-oz growler fills of either Vieille Artisanal Saison or Autumn Surette for $20. We will be changing the beers periodically depending on availability. Again, please note that only certain beers will be periodically available for growler fills. We will do our best to email as these change, but if a keg runs out, growler fills of that beer will no longer be available. For the most up-to-date information about available beers, please visit our taproom."

I probably will wait until they make fills available to the general public at which time I expect the price to drop 40% like the Petite Sour bottles.

I hate April Fool's day...

But I believe in shaughey04.

Also, my growler is a bit banged up, ha! I didn't put it in my unused growler pile...

Growler fills are for LIFETIME MEMBERS ONLY! This promotion is not available to the general public. Lifetime Members must have their member card and photo ID with them to obtain a growler fill.
So after they mail me my membership card here in the Bronx, they tell me that I can get my growler filled that's still w/ trustee in Denver.

Did anyone else get some waelz blood today?

I was blown away! Absurdly peachy for spending nearly 3 years in the bottle.
One of the best awa I've had the chance to try. Pêche sauce!
IMG_4819_zpsfv928t6h.jpg

That's surprising. When I had it at rare beer a few years ago I thought it was pretty bad, so bad that I gave my bottle away. If time can help this any chance it can make Nightcap drinkable?

That's surprising. When I had it at rare beer a few years ago I thought it was pretty bad, so bad that I gave my bottle away. If time can help this any chance it can make Nightcap drinkable?
Were some of these capped & some corked & caged? I vaguely remember there being two versions. I also had a disappointing bottle 18+ months ago

Were some of these capped & some corked & caged? I vaguely remember there being two versions. I also had a disappointing bottle 18+ months ago

Yes these were for on-site consumption only. All of the bottles today were corked & caged. I really do think that time helped this beer, awesome acidity level and Brett funkiness. No off flavors were picked up by the 6 people we were drinking with.

Not sure what problems you had with it a few years ago, as this was my first time trying it. But I thought this was awesome. Hibiscus was almost undetectable besides the obvious color, which could have been off putting a few years back while more fresh. Haven't had nightcap recently but a friend of mine said its drinking awesome right now.

The vast majority are corked & caged, but a few have caps and red wax. Same beer inside, though.

If time can help this any chance it can make Nightcap drinkable?

I was not a fan of nightcap at all fresh. I gave a bunch of my bottles away over the past couple years to those who enjoyed it. That said, I had a few sips of it from the keg this weekend, and it's drinking very nice. A bit of the intense acidity has subsided and the coffee and cherry are coming through really nicely. I was suprised. Still quite sour though, but seems to be easing up.

Last edited:
Back