The CAD thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
Any cad-lings(?) in here? I started going to school for mechanical engineering last year, but due to some non relevant reasons, I switched my major to marketing. I've recently enrolled in an online autocad certificate program to get some experience, and I am loving it. I've been working in the 2015 student edition. Any advice for someone learning the basics? What have you designed lately?

umm i graduated with an mechanical engineering degree from Virginia tech, but only had minimal exposure to autocad. My opinion is that anything you learn in your final years of college is pretty much useless due to modern programs. I havent used a single bit of information from my later years of engineering in my career or homewrecker. Ive used it more in my job at a chemical plant. I would recommend asking @TheCADJockey

umm i graduated with an mechanical engineering degree from Virginia tech, but only had minimal exposure to autocad. My opinion is that anything you learn in your final years of college is pretty much useless due to modern programs. I havent used a single bit of information from my later years of engineering in my career or homewrecker. Ive used it more in my job at a chemical plant. I would recommend asking @TheCADJockey
Feel free to chime in @TheCADJockey ! Yeah, hopefully I can weasel my way into my jobs design department someday, but they use Catia for pretty much everything.

I went to uni for engineering graphics and design. I would recommend memorizing all the keyboard shortcuts in autocad. You can work so much faster if you don't have to keep going back to the ribbon. Other than that, just practice a bunch. I agree with moops as well, most of what you learn now will probably be a bit different within a few years due to software updates, improvements, and so on. Autocad is pretty different now than when I went to school. Once you have the basics down, learning the new features isn't hard.

I use AutoCAD and Revit daily. I taught AutoCAD as an adjunct instructor for a couple years.

There is a big learning curve obviously, and even for me, having used it for over 20 years I can get rusty if I go for an extended amount of time not using it.

CAD is so much more than drawing houses or mechanical bits. I regularly import pictures and trace over them to create patterns for mosaics, inlayed wood, or stained glass. I had students who used the same process to create needlepoint designs and it is used with the CNC plasma cutters, routers, waterjet cutters, signmakers, etc. The beauty of vector art is the same drawing can be a one inch diameter medallion , or a six foot diameter table.

I've met so many people who have only used it in one capacity that they only have knowledge of a small subset of commands and procedures. My advice is to run through any tutorials you can find, even if they don't seem to cover anything useful. You will learn a ton by just using commands that you otherwise would not have learned.

One huge bit of advice, learn the keyboard shortcuts. it's much faster to type the letter c return than to putz around with pulldown menus to find that circle command.

I use AutoCAD and sketchup daily. I used rhino, maya, Maxwell and revit a lot in college, but my firm uses AutoCAD for all of our construction docs and sketchup for all renders and coordination with our consultants.

Oh and advice... Just have fun with it. Xrefs are your friend and the stretch command will blow your mind haha.

Daily AutoCAD user here as well. I've been using the program regularly since 1992. I also use Revit, Sketchup, and 3D Studio in my line of work now. (Architectural project manager and CAD Manager)

It is a program with seemingly endless possibilities. Using it regularly is the best way to learn it's potential. Any specific questions... feel free to ask!

Any cad-lings(?) in here? I started going to school for mechanical engineering last year, but due to some non relevant reasons, I switched my major to marketing. I've recently enrolled in an online autocad certificate program to get some experience, and I am loving it. I've been working in the 2015 student edition. Any advice for someone learning the basics? What have you designed lately?

My experience with AutoCAD is that it has been coasting on name recognition for approximately as long as I've been alive.

It's also extremely popular in some industries (particularly architecture and civil engineering; mechanical engineering is more likely to use Solidworks or whatever they're calling Pro-E now, is my sense), so it's worth learning, but still, keep that in mind.

Any advice for someone learning the basics? What have you designed lately?

Hey buddy, guess I'm late to the party as usual. The biggest thing in my opinion, aside from a lot of practice, is to make the program work for you. Customize everything to fit your needs. If there is a command or tool you know you'll never use, get it off the screen. I even have mine set to classic mode; I just don't see a reason for the big, fancy ribbons on the newer versions with all the explanations.

The one thing I don't think I could live without is the Right Click Customization (AutoCAD < Options < User Preferences < Right-click Customization). I have default to repeat last command and command mode means enter. When I'm drawing a PC board or detailed pipe threads with a lot of lines, I only really hit the line tool once. After that the entire thing is drawn with left click/right click.

Play with the Object Snap settings. Learn what each snap does, which ones work for you and take advantage of the object snap tracking.

Turn on Isometric Snap and sketch a few basic objects. (Right-click object snap < Settings < Snap and Grid < Snap Type: Isometric) F5 toggles the isoplane. F8 toggles Ortho Mode. With this snap and ortho mode, you can quickly knock out isometric drawings. In this mode, drawing a distorted circle is actually in the ellipse command and called isocircle.

The program isn't as serious as everyone makes it out to be, in my opinion. I love it and use it every day, can do it with my eyes closed and quite often... sadly, when I close my eyes at night it is what I see. You'll figure out how to make the program work for you, once you do, it'll feel right. You won't think about it any more. If you have any questions there is wealth of knowledge here apparently, might as well ask away.

I used to be a CADling. But then I got some counseling.

Used to run AutoCAD, and MicroStation on the daily plus a handful of other CAD softwares.

I still use Sketchup for woodworking models.

Some other ideas, learn what the "F" keys do. I use F8 and F3 all the time to toggle Ortho Mode and Snap Mode, for instance.

Just for fun, if you don't have a book, print out a list of all of the commands and work your way through them. You'll be amazed at some of them. The online help feature is excellent and will give you examples of how to use them. No way can I remember all of them but it's saved my butt a lot of times to know that there's a command that will do "that". Then I just have to look it up.

the programs you use will change. the best thing to talk about in an interview is a project class or a student group (e.g. formula SAE, solar car team, human powered vehicle, concrete canoe).
join one of those and you'll get lots of hands on experience that may just land you a job one day!

+1 to keyboard commands, all the F keys, and tutorials.

Custom keyboard commands will greatly increase your productivity, but will drive you crazy if you're on a workstation without them.

I would also highly recommend that you explore every sub-option of a command. For example, "c" is circle, but the command line will show options for drawing that circle, 2p, 3p, TTR, etc. Play around and figure out what all of those do for each command. That way you're doing it the correct way quickly.

Lastly, pay attention to accuracy. Depending on your final product, sloppy drawing will lead to major headaches down the road. OSnap is your best friend.

Daily Revit/autocad user (6 years) here. All suggestions so far have been good. I'd like to add that it's a good idea to learn AutoCad, but also learn a 3D program. Depending on what you want to design, the program might be Revit (for Architecture & MEP), Solidworks, 3DS Max, Inventor, etc. for mechanical parts. A lot of places are going to 3D, so having some exposure to that would be helpful.

Obviously this would be after you've gotten familiar with AutoCad.

Daily Revit/autocad user (6 years) here. All suggestions so far have been good. I'd like to add that it's a good idea to learn AutoCad, but also learn a 3D program. Depending on what you want to design, the program might be Revit (for Architecture & MEP), Solidworks, 3DS Max, Inventor, etc. for mechanical parts. A lot of places are going to 3D, so having some exposure to that would be helpful.

Obviously this would be after you've gotten familiar with AutoCad.

Thanks for the suggestion. My place of employment uses Catia, and would like to end up moving into a engineering position there in the future.

I specialize in AutoCAD, Revit and Microstation. Customize, support and train. It's my bread and butter or should I say my barley and hops...

A lot of good advice so far. I'll add this.

What I learned, and subsequently taught all my students, is the importance of thinking out your drawing before you make that first mouse click. Spend 15-30 minutes thinking about layers, linetypes, colors, units, what commands you'll use, etc.

At this point, when I begin a drawing, I've already done the whole thing in my head and I just need to follow the steps.

A lot of good advice so far. I'll add this.

What I learned, and subsequently taught all my students, is the importance of thinking out your drawing before you make that first mouse click. Spend 15-30 minutes thinking about layers, linetypes, colors, units, what commands you'll use, etc.

At this point, when I begin a drawing, I've already done the whole thing in my head and I just need to follow the steps.

I like that idea! I haven't got into the habit of making different layers yet. I am familiar with creating them, changing the line type/weight/color, etc. but I haven't done anything too advanced yet to the point where I need a lot of different layers. Other than playing around, I have only designed a wrench and a base plate w/ screw holes (helped me get more familiar with the fillet and chamfer commands) for my first two school assignments.

I like that idea! I haven't got into the habit of making different layers yet. I am familiar with creating them, changing the line type/weight/color, etc. but I haven't done anything too advanced yet to the point where I need a lot of different layers. Other than playing around, I have only designed a wrench and a base plate w/ screw holes (helped me get more familiar with the fillet and chamfer commands) for my first two school assignments.

Your company likely has a set of drawing standards that they use to give the drawings a sense of uniformity between CAD operators (layers, linetypes, colors, etc). It's a bit early now, but see if you can get someone at your work to walk you through them (or better yet, send you a drawing template file). If you apply for a CAD job with your current employer, a solid working knowledge of their drawing standards will put you head and shoulders above the other applicants.

If your going to learn AutoCAD, learn to LISP, .NET

Learn to program, it will change your Drafting life.

Your company likely has a set of drawing standards that they use to give the drawings a sense of uniformity between CAD operators (layers, linetypes, colors, etc). It's a bit early now, but see if you can get someone at your work to walk you through them (or better yet, send you a drawing template file). If you apply for a CAD job with your current employer, a solid working knowledge of their drawing standards will put you head and shoulders above the other applicants.

Good call! I already have my foot far enough in the door to where I am able to shadow them for a few days in the future.

When I test applicants, standards are not what I look for, I purposely give a test with a limited workspace and tool access, I want to see how someone handles that kind of situation, if that someone really knows how to use CAD. If they can't find their button on the toolbar, or their quick key no longer works, do they just stop or do they find a different way.

Learn the basic commands first, not quick keys, not buttons, not ribbons, AutoCAD's full command list go back to the beginning of time, with the exception of a few that have either fully changed or been hidden.

don't be afraid to break CAD, you will learn more fixing it than any school will teach.

Learn the basic commands first, not quick keys, not buttons, not ribbons, AutoCAD's full command list go back to the beginning of time, with the exception of a few that have either fully changed or been hidden.

This. 90% of running AutoCAD, for me, is one hand on the mouse/stylus, the other on the keyboard for two letter keystroke commands. Buttons and ribbons turned off to maximize screen area.

When I test applicants, standards are not what I look for, I purposely give a test with a limited workspace and tool access, I want to see how someone handles that kind of situation, if that someone really knows how to use CAD. If they can't find their button on the toolbar, or their quick key no longer works, do they just stop or do they find a different way.

don't be afraid to break CAD, you will learn more fixing it than any school will teach.

I can dig that. I really like that testing process! :mug:

While I agree that a deeply functional knowledge of CAD is paramount, and will give one the ability to work anywhere, I've seen more people flip out about standards (finished product) than the actual drafting process. It's sad. Also, at the application stage, you have to assume that the people coming in won't know your company's standards anyway. But if that was one (large) less thing you'd have to train them on, wouldn't that be great?

Oh, those old school commands.....bringing back such fond memories!

This is true. At our office we all have the same sheet taped to our monitors, computer towers etc that lists each color the coincides with the appropriate line weight and scale factors etc.

I would also suggest getting in the habit of setting base points in your drawings. In the future if you have to xref multiple drawings into a single drawing, base points will help you get them all in the right place.

Another thought, paper space vs model space. Use them appropriately. Set up a viewport (with title sheet if you have one) in paper space and show your drawing through the vp. Easier to scale too.

The reason I say this, is that in a CAD class I took in high school the teacher had us do everything in model space. When I learned the difference, it changed my life haha

This. 90% of running AutoCAD, for me, is one hand on the mouse/stylus, the other on the keyboard for two letter keystroke commands. Buttons and ribbons turned off to maximize screen area.

Yep yep! At the peak of my CAD career, I was convinced I could type faster with one left hand than I could with both. :D

The reason I say this, is that in a CAD class I took in high school the teacher had us do everything in model space. When I learned the difference, it changed my life haha

Same was true for me as well. Took me a while to grow accustomed to paper space.

This is true. At our office we all have the same sheet taped to our monitors, computer towers etc that lists each color the coincides with the appropriate line weight and scale factors etc.

I would also suggest getting in the habit of setting base points in your drawings. In the future if you have to xref multiple drawings into a single drawing, base points will help you get them all in the right place.

Another thought, paper space vs model space. Use them appropriately. Set up a viewport (with title sheet if you have one) in paper space and show your drawing through the vp. Easier to scale too.

What is the main difference between model and paper space? You're both drawing to everything to their full size, correct? Is paper space scaled for drawings that need printed out on paper? haha (sorry haven't got that far yet to experiment)

Model space is full (real) size, paper space is the size the drawing will be printed. A "viewport" is placed on the sheet (paper space) which allows you to scale the (model space) drawing to fit on a sheet.

What is the main difference between model and paper space? You're both drawing to everything to their full size, correct? Is paper space scaled for drawings that need printed out on paper? haha (sorry haven't got that far yet to experiment)

You got it... Kinda haha. Model space is where the drawings are in full size (where you are correct) hence the name model space. These drawings can be either live, blocked in, xref'd in etc. Paper space is where your title block or otherwise is. This is where you create your sheet for printing hence the name paper space. You can draw a viewport in paperspace and use the viewport to control the scale of the drawing. So basically...

Model Space: Full size, Scale: 1'=1'-0"
Paper Space: Scaled Drawings, 1/4"=1'-0" for example

Essentially, yes.

In model space, on a detail sheet with sections at varied scales, you'd have to scale everything around the largest object on the page. if something changes and you have to edit the original drawing, rescale/reinsert, revise, rescale, etc..

In paper space, the sheet is actual size. The models are actual size and they xref/imported into a designated viewport at the appropriate scale. If you need to edit you just go to the original model and the edit will reflect in the referenced viewport.

Been a VERY long time since I used paper space and it was rather clunky then. I am sure it has changed a bit since.

Change the autocad default shortcuts (edit aliases), they are intuitive but annoying in that you constantly have to move your hands around the keyboard. I like to keep my left hand as stationary as possible and keep my right hand on the mouse.

If you are going for mechanical then I would learn revit. Architects and Mechanical all seem to be using it these days. If you go to work for an architect then learn how to draw a property line lol.

Model space and paper space is probably the most confusing issue in CAD.

Think of it this way, model space is where you do all your drawing. Paper space is where you set up your drawing for printing. Another way to think of it is model space is the picture, paper space is the frame.

You draw a building floor plan that is 50' x 100'. You obviously won't print that full size, and you need more accuracy than just printing to fit the paper. This is where paper space comes in. You can set the scale to something that will fit the paper you are using, maybe 1/8" = 1'.

At that scale you floor plan will measure 6.25" x 12.5" on paper.

If you are going for mechanical then I would learn revit. Architects and Mechanical all seem to be using it these days. If you go to work for an architect then learn how to draw a property line lol.

They hire that out to the Civil engineers who can read a legal description. :p

They hire that out to the Civil engineers who can read a legal description. :p
...and understand real-world coordinates, and that not everything lies in a perfect ortho plane, and a model space drawing should NOT be scaled down to architectural units.

Architect is a four-letter word in my office. (Send them a topo drawing, on state plane coordinates. Get the same drawing back from them, scaled down 1/12, rotated so the building sits ortho, and moved to 0,0.)

CAD sounds like fun the way you all describe it. I know nothing, just earwigging on the thread.

CAD is one of those tools, your imagination is your only limitation with it. You can design, create, render, customize, program, basically taylor to your needs.

To some of us CAD gurus, it is like a video game and it can be quite fun to master this software.

Back