The 2016 NHC - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, Just got my Second in American Amber from Seattle. Hoping the rebrew performs as well. Too much fun!

Very happy with the blue ribbon I received in the mail today. Even happier with how my ipa rebrew is shaping up!

Did everyone get ribbons after they got their scoresheets? I finally got my score sheets from San Diego but no ribbon.

Did everyone get ribbons after they got their scoresheets? I finally got my score sheets from San Diego but no ribbon.

Everyone I know personally who advanced (myself included) had their ribbons arrive yesterday. If you haven't gotten anything yet I'd just wait it out.

My ribbons arrived, and the letter was totally confusing, it said both

"Like last year, Your certificates are only available in electronic form"

and then

"your certificates are enclosed in this package"

Anyone get anything different, or know where to download the certificates?

My ribbons arrived, and the letter was totally confusing, it said both

"Like last year, Your certificates are only available in electronic form"

and then

"your certificates are enclosed in this package"

Anyone get anything different, or know where to download the certificates?

Main competition website, you should have a link above your entries for them, if you really want them. And yeah, I saw that too.

Honestly, I wish they had a check for people who don't want the ribbons...maybe save some money. They don't even bother filling out the back with each winner information.

I may suggest it to the AHA GC when at NHC this year.

For the final entries do you need to send the recipe along with the beers or is just entering the recipe into the competition website good enough?

For the final entries do you need to send the recipe along with the beers or is just entering the recipe into the competition website good enough?

Just entered on the website. They only need the recipe for posting in Zymurgy if you win a gold medal. They are not used in the final round judging as far as I know.

Mine are in NJ on their way to MD.

They are not used in judging. Only used in Zymurgy if you win.

I suspected as much. I think having a recipe in front of a judge could have some influence on them, both in a positive and negative way (i.e. low score because the judge doesn't like a particular grain or yeast, etc.).

Anybody having trouble entering their recipes on the website? I kept getting "parse syntax error" when I hit the submit button.

I'm sending mine tomorrow anyway. It does print up the labels and they don't want the recipe with the bottles anyway. Hopefully they'll get that fixed soon.

I didn't have a problem, but I also plugged my recipe in as soon as I was able. I haven't printed entry labels yet though. I should do that now while I know I'm able then. I'll be hand delivering mine on Sunday during the available window. Fortunately rebrew came out absolutely fantastic (better than the original that placed, long story there...), so I'm hopeful. Of course even a well brewed Mild I find is hit or miss with judges, so I'll have to wait and see.

I am also driving up for the 3 hour window on Sunday! Plus driving to Winchester on Saturday to judge, going to be a long weekend...

I didn't have a problem, but I also plugged my recipe in as soon as I was able. I haven't printed entry labels yet though. I should do that now while I know I'm able then. I'll be hand delivering mine on Sunday during the available window. Fortunately rebrew came out absolutely fantastic (better than the original that placed, long story there...), so I'm hopeful. Of course even a well brewed Mild I find is hit or miss with judges, so I'll have to wait and see.

Feeling very weird about pulling my beers out of the fridge and putting them in a box to sit in a delivery truck/plane. Such is the plague of the NHC I assume. Any tips?

Feeling very weird about pulling my beers out of the fridge and putting them in a box to sit in a delivery truck/plane. Such is the plague of the NHC I assume. Any tips?
I sat a beer out then drank a beer. Repeated this 2 more times and was surprised at how much better I felt about sending my hard work into the unknown!

So UPS definitely will not ship beer unless you are entered into a contract with them.

Package it up, use the ups website to create a label, print that out and tape it to the box. Drop that box off at one of those print/scan/ship type stores.

Around here they just scan it and hand me a receipt and everything is fine.

So UPS definitely will not ship beer unless you are entered into a contract with them.

Neither will FedEx. The accepted philosophy is "it's not illegal so just don't tell them what it is". I always ship beer via UPS and have never had an issue. As another posted said, just print the label out yourself, attach it yourself, and just hand it to them. I've never been asked questions. But if they do ask, go with something like "yeast samples".

Unlike USPS, where it IS illegal.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of another option aside from a private courier. Which I could probably get one to deliver for me but pay out the nose for it. Anywhere else it's obviously not practical.

Another thing I have found is to not write fragile all over the box. That seems to raise questions. Also could go with "water samples to have the brewery test"

Ya, I've leaned my lesson. Yeast samples from here on out. I finally sent my yeast samples out today actually. Stressful day, never thought I would get to the second round so I saw my brewing dreams crumbling around me.

I have gotten my scores and certificates, but never received my scoresheets. I didn't expect to advance to the next round or anything, but did want to get the feedback on my beer. I emailed the contacts from the Austin regional and they said it must have gotten lost in the mail. "Sorry, we don't make copies of the scoresheets, Cheers." $50 for entry fees and shipping flushed down the toilet, because what good are the scores without knowing what the scores mean. Sorry. My rant for the day. Congrats to everyone that did good.

You probably wouldn't have gotten much useful feedback anyway. Again, NHC uses checklist scoresheets, and the amount of feedback provided is substantially lower than a traditional written scoresheet. Some judges don't write any comments at all aside from the checkboxes. Of course even in smaller comps with traditional scoresheets some poorer judges still provide f*** all for feedback anyway. But you get the point. NHC is not a good comp to enter for feedback.

Given that NHC is significantly more expensive than any other competition I've entered (I've seen a handful of unsanctioned comps that were more expensive but no way I was paying those entry fees), you're just wasting your money entering a beer for feedback that you don't expect to place. NHC is a comp that you enter to win, period. Pick a local comp to enter for feedback.

I think the Brewing Network usually broadcasts it. If you can't find it on the AHA/NHC/"Homebrew Con" website, the BN would be the second place I would look.

I think the Brewing Network usually broadcasts it. If you can't find it on the AHA/NHC/"Homebrew Con" website, the BN would be the second place I would look.

They'll most likely broadcast it on their Livestream feed. It's the place they broadcast all their shows.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/tv

I have gotten my scores and certificates, but never received my scoresheets. I didn't expect to advance to the next round or anything, but did want to get the feedback on my beer. I emailed the contacts from the Austin regional and they said it must have gotten lost in the mail. "Sorry, we don't make copies of the scoresheets, Cheers." $50 for entry fees and shipping flushed down the toilet, because what good are the scores without knowing what the scores mean. Sorry. My rant for the day. Congrats to everyone that did good.

I waited until I got my scoresheets back before I rebrewed the beer I was sending. There really wasn't anything useful on the scoresheets. I should have rebrewed 2 weeks earlier.

Our club had two awesome members hand deliver. :rocking:

Too bad I brewed marginal beer. It's in the "zone".. but just barely.

I "judged" mine and I figure about:

36 for the american brown. (nothing really screams american about it)
36 for the DIPA (brewed on 4/20 I think it's too old for what it will be up against, right now it tastes great, but in 10 days not sure.)
38 for my Amber. Solid beer might do better than a 38 just depends on how they feel about the hops.

Latest posts

Back