Testing Gravity with Pipettes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback_Jack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I use pipettes to test my gravity with a refractometer. In order to sanitize the pipettes before dipping into my beer, I drop them into StarSan solution. I usually squeeze it too, to get the solution inside the pipette. Is this necessary or should I just dip it in the solution? Of course I squeeze out the solution before extracting beer into the pipette. Could the small bit of solution left inside cause a faulty refractometer reading?

Jackson

I also use plastic pipettes for pulling refract samples. I dip one vertically into my Star San reservoir bucket and swish it around for a few seconds, then squish and shake it out vigorously in the sink before sampling.

Yes, if there's any amount of sanitizer that ends up on the refract it's going to affect the reading. The difference obviously would depend on the ratio of sample to sanitizer...

Cheers!

Do you recommend one pipette over another? Is there an Amazon link (or similar) that you could share? Just this week, I had to dip an eye dropper into a conical as the sample port had become clogged. I figured it was time for a pipette.

There is no way that you can get all the liquid out from inside a plastic pipette. Since the sample is so small the reading will most likely be affected. One way to mitigate this is to take several samples and dump them before taking the final sample, this way you will rinse out the sanitizer with beer.

Depending on how you are taking your sample (from boil kettle, fermenter, etc.) you can also just sanitize a spoon and use that to dribble wort/beer onto the refractometer. If you're testing during the boil or prior to it, really no need to sanitize, just make sure it's clean. If post-boil during fermentation, definitely sanitize.

Depending on how you are taking your sample (from boil kettle, fermenter, etc.) you can also just sanitize a spoon and use that to dribble wort/beer onto the refractometer. If you're testing during the boil or prior to it, really no need to sanitize, just make sure it's clean. If post-boil during fermentation, definitely sanitize.
Great suggestion. For pre-boil and boil gravity I’m not concerned, of course. For post-boil, though, the spoon is a great suggestion. However, I have to use the fun little pipettes I bought, because.... well, because I bought them! Haha. I can suck the sample outta the spoon with the pipette, though. Don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner. Thanks!

I give my pipette a few shakes to get most of the star san out. Then when I take the sample, I try to fill the pipette, in hopes of minimizing dilution.

I use a 10ml serological pipette with a pipette pump. When I need to sanitize it before use, I just drop it into my gallon jug of star san and afterward I suck soapy water into it, rinse with clean water and then star san. They come sterilized but i've only ever thrown one away because I was using it for kombucha. 10ml is long enough to get into my carboy just with taking the stopper/airlock out and one or two pulls are plenty to get a little taste of beer!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QL6PDMF

https://www.amazon.com/BIPEE-PIPETTE-PUMP-10ml-Green/dp/B013OWV6E4

I only use my pipettes pre-boil so I don't sanitize them. I use one until I either lose it or it gets dried up wort in the bulb because I forgot to rinse it with water. Once I'm out of pipettes I'll probably switch to a small syringe since it can be taken apart and cleaned easily.

I use a 10ml serological pipette with a pipette pump. When I need to sanitize it before use, I just drop it into my gallon jug of star san and afterward I suck soapy water into it, rinse with clean water and then star san. They come sterilized but i've only ever thrown one away because I was using it for kombucha. 10ml is long enough to get into my carboy just with taking the stopper/airlock out and one or two pulls are plenty to get a little taste of beer!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QL6PDMF

https://www.amazon.com/BIPEE-PIPETTE-PUMP-10ml-Green/dp/B013OWV6E4
This is a great idea, going through the airlock hole! I currently have to take a lid off and lower my hand with a plastic dropper into the liquid. I’ll give these a try.

Back