Temperature Range of Washed/Harvested Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dficker

Reaction score
Is the temperature range of harvested yeast differ from the "rated" temp temperature of the yeast when new?

I harvested/washed yeast from my fermenter and stored in the fridge for a month or so. Used a starter and pitched into an Alt. I wanted to ferment it on the low end of the temp range of the yeast (Wyeast German Ale). It spend the first week around 62, this week the temp dropped into the upper 50's and it shut down. I popped the lid to take a taste sample (broke yet another hydro some I am going by taste), the Krausen was still there and there was no airlock activity*. I brought it out of my cold closet and warmed it up, back at 64-ish and it started up again (airlock activity*). The batch I washed it from I think fermented in the high 60's, maybe hit 70.

Would the washed yeast impart characteristics from the source batch, e.g. temperature of fermentation?

*Airlock bubbling is no way to gauge fermentation -- I know I know, but I am hyrdometerless at the moment.

No, I wouldn't think that would be your issue. In fact, I think you may not have an issue, if I'm understanding you correctly. Many ale yeasts will shut down in the upper 50s or at least slow way down.

Its rated 55-68° F. At the lower end of the range would Wyeast 1007 ferment slower?

BTW it was 10 days in fermentation when I moved it to a warmer locale.

Back