Temperature Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellsreach

Reaction score
I have two freezers I need to convert -- a chest freezer to a keezer, and a standup freezer, which will become a fermentation/ lagering chamber/ and possible cheese cave. So, my simple question is, what is a recommended temperature controller for the price conscious brewer (say, under $40)? Or, am I full of crap to think I can get a good one for that much?

I have two freezers I need to convert -- a chest freezer to a keezer, and a standup freezer, which will become a fermentation/ lagering chamber/ and possible cheese cave. So, my simple question is, what is a recommended temperature controller for the price conscious brewer (say, under $40)? Or, am I full of crap to think I can get a good one for that much?

I love the Inkbird ITC-308S for its simplicity. It has not let me down. Amazon has it at your price point too.

I bought a Johnson Controls dual temp controller way before Inkbird was even around for a LOT more money.
I'm sorta hoping it craps out so I can get this Inkbird. It seems to have very positive reviews.
The JC performs the same functions, but is boxier and doesn't have the dual display.

I think I read something about the Inkbird continuing to cool past far past the low end setting, then warming back up to the high end setting and never really settling on it's target temp. The thing that concerns me it, if I am lagering, it's already so close to freezing that if the temp drops too much, it can drop belong freezing and ruin your beer. Is that right?

While the ITC-308 has been garnering almost universally positive reports right along and as a result is the unit I recommend, it can't solve user issues. Probe placement matters, as does the choice of heaters (for fermentation chambers), and the use of a "stirring fan" is pretty much mandatory.

It's easy to combine an oversize heater, poor probe placement and the lack of a fan and come up with a pathological performance case...

Cheers!

If you are of the DIY mindset, look into the STC-1000 builds. Its easily obtainable under your price range and pretty easy to build too. Works like a champ!

I also use the Inkbird ITC308 works fine for me. It even remembered it's settings after a recent power outage. Does it have a battery? IDK. But I'm happy

I use the Inkbird ITC-2000 because I already had a STC-1000 box built. Otherwise, I'd have gone with the ITC308 also.

While the ITC-308 has been garnering almost universally positive reports right along and as a result is the unit I recommend, it can't solve user issues. Probe placement matters, as does the choice of heaters (for fermentation chambers), and the use of a "stirring fan" is pretty much mandatory.

It's easy to combine an oversize heater, poor probe placement and the lack of a fan and come up with a pathological performance case...

Cheers!

+1
When I first set mine up, I made the mistake of hooking up a much too beefy ceramic heater.
If set up correctly with the proper differentials, temp swings should be non existent.

I use a seedling mat for the heater. It is waterproof and very low power, but if you have a small, well-insulated chamber, you really don't need much.

That mat linked was half the price when I bought it. In 'similar items' you can see several for $12-$14 that are also roughly 10x20 and 17 watts.

Cheers!
. I am looking into getting the itc-308 for fermenting. Right now I will be gettting (free) a 5.1 q. Foot chest freezer. Would you have any suggestion on a a heater to use? I plan to eventually turning it into a keezer, or I may buy a bigger one in the far future, that is still undecided.

A few recommendations preceded your follow-up.
For that small a volume I would find a low wattage solution.
As a reference I use 40 watt appliance bulb "heaters" in my 17cf fermentation fridges in essentially an unheated basement and they provide a ramp that my controllers can handle very well...

Chers!

I use an Inkbird ITC-1000 ($16 on Amazon). It has been working just fine so far. Note that this controller does need to be wired up and it meant to be mounted in a panel or enclosure but it's super cheap and works:
41qoIapm7VL._SX425_.jpg

Most of the cheaper controllers out there are all the same, just Chinese controllers that are re-branded by different companies. I would look on Amazon as others have suggested and look at the ratings and pick what fits your budge and setup.

Latest posts

Back